Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.4.40 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

OOTP Baseball 20 - AVAILABLE NOW!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #61
Shackdaddy
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 27x in 17 posts
I agree about commercials making games longer. However, that will never change because of the revenue they generate for the networks (local and national) that pay MLB billions of dollars to televise their games.
Shackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #62
hillm2ca
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 69x in 49 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger922cubs View Post
Comparing starting an inning with a free double to a HR Derby or Sudden Death is an absolutely absurd jump in logic. At best what youre struggling with is the sacredness of the box score and keeping statistics. Things which have zero bearing on the way the game is actually played.
It is an absurd leap in logic, I agree but I was speaking metaphorically. But I used the argument to prove my larger point - changing the rules (even as something seemingly minor as starting a runner on second base) is like playing a different game. Would you want a World Series game decided by such a scheme, or worse, a Game 7? Winners should be decided within the normal rules of baseball, not by changing them in order to "force" a winner who may not deserve it. I imagine that the first time it would cost a team a playoff spot or a championship, Major League Baseball would be dealing with a crisis on its hands from fans crying foul.

Last edited by hillm2ca; 02-17-2017 at 04:38 PM.
hillm2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:12 AM   #63
Shackdaddy
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 27x in 17 posts
I agree. It would be like college football settling ties by teams starting with the ball on the 25 yard line . Or deciding the world championship of ssoccer with penalty kicks. I hate when rules like that are created to create artificial excitement and shorten the length of the game. Leave baseball alone!
2 thanks for this post:
JaBurns (03-02-2017), nebradska (02-23-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 02:13 AM   #64
Shackdaddy
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 27x in 17 posts
I agree. It would be like college football settling ties by teams starting with the ball on the 25 yard line . Or deciding the world championship of soccer with penalty kicks. I hate when rules like that are created to create artificial excitement and shorten the length of the game. Leave baseball alone!
2 thanks for this post:
Coltrane (02-23-2017), nebradska (02-23-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #65
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

Thanked 187x in 94 posts
Well I think they should follow Cricket's example where to score a run the batter only has to advance to first Base(it's not actually called a Base please Note).In fact the batter can score again if he runs back to home plate(not actually called home plate please Note)and again if he runs back to first base and so on....You'd soon get a few runs scored.
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #66
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

Thanked 187x in 94 posts
Well that's yet another thread I've brought to a standstill
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #67
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,408x in 2,483 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektranaut View Post
Well that's yet another thread I've brought to a standstill
It's a gift or a curse. I'll you decide which.

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
— Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (03-05-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 01:31 AM   #68
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Thanked 605x in 335 posts
Eliminate all home run trots.

How much time would THAT save?

*note, don't actually do this you idiots. Baseball is fine the way it is.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #69
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 357x in 242 posts
The WBC games in Asia last approximately forever. Sloppy defense and ineffective pitching add a lot more time to games than you can save with a pitch clock.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Arc Flash (03-07-2017)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #70
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,408x in 2,483 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
From the horse:

Manfred also defended the experimentation, in the minor leagues, with starting extra innings with a runner on second base, even though it's a change "we don't expect to ever apply at the major league level." But he said, "We may learn something that would be helpful moving forward."
Yeah, what they're learning is that starting off the extra inning with a guy already on second base doesn't seem to have appreciably cut down the number of extra inning games going past 10 innings.

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
— Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:21 AM   #71
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,086x in 1,211 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Yeah, what they're learning is that starting off the extra inning with a guy already on second base doesn't seem to have appreciably cut down the number of extra inning games going past 10 innings.
Yes it’s a terrible solution. If they’re really concerned with minor league pitching health, I’d rather see the game called a tie as they do in Japan