Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.4.40 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

OOTP Baseball 20 - AVAILABLE NOW!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Jerry Helper
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 214x in 115 posts
Tell us about your first

What was the first baseball sim that you became obsessed with and what did you love about it?
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,431x in 808 posts
FPS Baseball 96

I loved this game so much.. I lived in an apartment back then and had 2 roommates and we played this game to death. I really miss Sierra sport games and that magazine you get every few months.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
ckash (12-27-2017), frankgatti23 (12-18-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Thanked 363x in 243 posts
First one I fell in love with was the 1970 Strat-O-Matic game that my dad owned and introduced to me as a kid. I loved it because I could play with guys like Yastrzemski, Aaron, Palmer & a young Nolan Ryan. I got tons of hours of enjoyment from that game.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
David Watts (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
Juggernt
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 75x in 49 posts
APBA. Fell in love with it as a teenager. I think the first new season I picked up was 1975. A strong group of us played both baseball and football until I left the area at 20.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
David Watts (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 818x in 437 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
FPS Baseball 96

I loved this game so much.. I lived in an apartment back then and had 2 roommates and we played this game to death. I really miss Sierra sport games and that magazine you get every few months.
Same here. FPS Baseball 96 was a blast. Loved the career play and that you could create fictional teams.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,066x in 2,448 posts
Tony La Russa Baseball 2? but definitely 3.
It was the 1st game where I could change team names and have somewhat custom jerseys. It is on this game that I created my Endor League back around 1992ish. He would give you tips on things to do or help with those. i played TLR until 1999 when I bought High Heat and played HH 2 & 3 until 2010? when I discovered OOTP 11.
I use OOTP would use the pitcher batter interface. Behind the plate when hitting. from the mound while pitching. HH did the same.

Also had some but all not old parks. Shibe, old Yankee, Polo and 1 or 2 more.

Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

Congrats Harold Baines

"Stay Strong"
The Game is online now   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
ckash (12-27-2017), Hrycaj (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 07:07 AM   #7
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 349x in 195 posts
I think mine was Micro League.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
silvam14 (12-30-2017), zappa1 (12-18-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Danius
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 40x in 25 posts
"Baseball Simulator 1.000" on Nintendo.

Last edited by Danius; 12-15-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Danius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 AM   #9
Hrycaj
All Star Reserve

Thanked 156x in 107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Tony La Russa Baseball 2? but definitely 3.
It was the 1st game where I could change team names and have somewhat custom jerseys. It is on this game that I created my Endor League back around 1992ish. He would give you tips on things to do or help with those. i played TLR until 1999 when I bought High Heat and played HH 2 & 3 until 2010? when I discovered OOTP 11.
I use OOTP would use the pitcher batter interface. Behind the plate when hitting. from the mound while pitching. HH did the same.

Also had some but all not old parks. Shibe, old Yankee, Polo and 1 or 2 more.

I played the crap out of TLR II. It was so good. However, my first love was Earl Weaver Baseball I and II. Those set the groundwork for me.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #10
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Thanked 511x in 349 posts
I think I really got hooked on Baseball sims with the Earl Weaver Baseball series....but Micro League Baseball was the first one I played, I remember when I got the 1988 Season Disk and actually went through the news paper and played out each game for that entire season.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
smiller
Major Leagues

Thanked 133x in 87 posts
APBA when it was only available with cards.There was a guy who sold a list of the starting pitchers for every game for a season, so with that and some library research for starting lineups, you could really simulate an historical season (1908 was always my favorite).
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
HowDoKenRyu
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I think the first big one for me was Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball - finally a game where I could play the big leagues
HowDoKenRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #13
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,130x in 502 posts
Hardball

http://www.mobygames.com/game/hardball

Also played ALL the other games, but now only playing OOTP for hours every day. Nice to be retired.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
frankgatti23 (12-18-2017), NoOne (12-15-2017), zappa1 (12-18-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
canaveral
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 61x in 45 posts
Negamco. Took it on a family trip to Alaska where I set up an entire replay of an NL season. Had my friends vote for MVP and Cy Young.
canaveral is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
CHOWDERHEAD (12-18-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #15
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,092x in 618 posts
Statis-Pro Baseball. 1987 season.

I was trying to play every game for every team. By hand. With hand written records.

Computers make things a little easier.

````````````````````````````````````````

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Rusty I'm devastated.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #16
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 300x in 205 posts
Computer Baseball (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Baseball) was my first. Had tons of hand written stats for doing entire seasons with it. And manually adding players. Nowadays it'd be laughable but in the mid 80's:? It worked.

The bar however was raised with the Earl Weaver series. DIdn't find anything better until OOTP strat/customization wise.
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #17
sprague
All Star Starter

Thanked 491x in 299 posts
My first game I ever played was like some one else here. Negamco. I recall the spinner that was spun to get the number, then consult the chart for some letter value you had to figure out. While not super deep in all areas, it was easy to play, and easy to make up your own teams for any year as they gave you the book to do so. That was like 1977.
Then 1979 I' got my first strat o matic set. That sold me. By comparasin it was night and day. The advanced version (no super advanced yet) seemed so well set up with deep level of accuracy, and what I liked, it was so simple and moved along so fast.

I played ALOT of strat games over the years with a giant area filled with the boxscores and linescores and league stats and what not.
I stopped playing for a while, then tried out the free ootp 8 a long whilel back. I like it so bought ootp12.
Since then never looked back. Ootp is just a marvel...and once those game graphics take another jump ahead, wow just wow.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #18
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,356x in 2,263 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
The first game I ever owned was Sherco II. Problem is, I was way too young when I got it, so I never really played it much. I do remember it having a rather unique rule in which the losing manager could shake for a rainout. To this day my best childhood friend will throw "shake for a rainout" into a phone conversation periodically. The other thing that came out of owning Sherco, was the scoresheet. It was the one I used for every game I played up till I finally owned a computer.

I played a ton of both APBA and Strat. Loved both of them. I often wonder how much paper I went through playing these games. From tournaments, to single team replays, to eventually trying to play out an entire AL season. I played almost exclusively solo as a kid.

I then moved on to Micro Leagues, I hated it. First computer game I fell in love with was the computer version of Statis Pro. After that I played a lot of Strats computer game. Then got hooked on Pursue the Pennant/Diamondmind. Took a long break from playing sim baseball until finding Season Ticket 2 at Office Depot for like $9.99. Hoyler Jones got me back into the hobby and then some.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #19
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,765x in 1,426 posts
owned baseball games before, but probably RBI Baseball for nintendo. it wouldn't do a career mode so i used graphing paper to make some character-sheets for the palyers, lol. kept track of yearly stats.

it was funny. with a particular few pitchers you could throw a fb in a particular location and get a near no-hitter each game.

i can't recall the C64 baseball game... had a red team and a blue team. don't think you could change rosters at all... 2 choices! bases loaded? maybe i have the 64c and nintendo names bakcward.

on pc's and newer i really liked the Hardball series. i never got into a non-3d game like ootp before. i'm not afraid to get my nerd on by any means. with baseball i like it due to length of seasons. i don't feel like i'm missing out not controlling players and putting up godly #'s because you can't be extraordinary just by clicking a button at the right time. i do what i like - career mode of some sort.

always played football games more... tecmo super bowl 91, sierra's fps football etc. played the hlel out of madden 2k1 (2000) for ~3 years. that cd actually stopped working due to overuse -- helped keep me out of bars in grad school. cd's can wear down over time, lol... learned something new. by the end 100+ points vs all-madden difficulty / toughest sliders was a bit boring.

fyi, if a cd does wear out, the game manufacturer does not replace it they just tell you that you are SooL. maybe it was touching something as it spinned, who knows 15 years later, memory fades.

Last edited by NoOne; 12-15-2017 at 03:18 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #20
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,765x in 1,426 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
Hardball

http://www.mobygames.com/game/hardball

Also played ALL the other games, but now only playing OOTP for hours every day. Nice to be retired.
HA! i remember the graphics being better.. maybe it was a different release
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote