Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > MLB Manager 2018 > MLB Manager Dynasty Reports

MLB Manager Dynasty Reports Tell us about the MLBM dynasties you have built!

Old 05-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #381
Paulie123
All Star Starter

Thanked 275x in 262 posts
13 October 2049

Mannix Glowstone
@rayoflight

WHAT JUST HAPPENED!?!?!?!?#noway #idontbelieveit
10:34PM - 13 Oct 2049

Zebedee Stethoscope
@glasshalfempty

@rayoflight I knew it wud happen #notgoodenough
10:35PM - 13 Oct 2049

Dietmar Uberfan
@magpiesobsessive

gutted gutted gutted gutted gutted gutted gutted #gutted #gutted #gutted #ubergutted
10:37PM - 13 Oct 2049

Tony Smashie
@DJTony

Hmm not so groovy #inafunk #gottheblues
10:40PM - 13 Oct 2049

Genghis Troll
@nothingbettertodo

@DJTony @magpiesobsessive @glasshalfempty @rayoflight ha ha losers!!! #sofunny #hilarious #myachingsides
10:42PM - 13 Oct 2049

Hank Blunt
@isayitlikeitis

Damnit
10:43PM - 13 Oct 2049

Bart Wardrobe
@MagpiesMad

In Billy I trust! #keepthefaith #Magpies
10:45PM - 13 Oct 2049
Paulie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #382
Paulie123
All Star Starter

14 October 2049

GM’s notebook

- I’m still in a state of shock about last night’s game. What an advert for SCL baseball! But what a heart-wrenching way to lose. An absolute sickener. I cannot recall feeling as upset about a game as I did yesterday. I had to check the game log to remind myself that ending really did happen.
- We have sat down at length today with Gabe Copeland, who seems to be in a perpetual state of disbelief right now. No one blames him at all for that bonkers 9th inning. He has had such a terrific season, and was just unlucky at the wrong time. I hope he can come back from this.
- I sent a message of congratulations to Baton Rouge’s Ray Parker. What a plate appearance that was from him at the do-or-die moment, to foul off four 2-out pitches and then hit a bases-clearing double to win the Western League championship. We may have been on the receiving end of it, but you have to tip your hat to a sensational performance when you see one.
- I am writing this while excruciatingly hung over. I went out last night after the game and got exceedingly drunk.
- Montgomery also had a late (albeit less dramatic) comeback win last night in game seven of the EL championship series. So the Cup Final Series will be Baton Rouge v Montgomery in a rematch of last year.
Attached Images
Old 05-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #383
Paulie123
All Star Starter

21 October 2049

(Reproduced courtesy of SCL At-Bat, the number one app for all the latest SCL news and scores)

Brilliant Cruisers retain SCL crown
Baton Rouge fall short in Cup Final Series for second straight year

By Buster Oldknee, 9:25AM, 21 Oct 49

The two teams were the same, and the outcome was the same. The Montgomery Cruisers have won the SCL Cup Final Series for a second consecutive season after last night completing a convincing 4-1 series triumph over Western League champions Baton Rouge. Pablo Medina’s 2-run home run was all the scoring they needed to beat the Deltas in last night’s game and take home the trophy. It was a fantastic win for Montgomery, who overcame the loss of star hitter Bryan Powell for the entire second half of the season to secure the franchise’s second championship.
Attached Images
Old 05-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #384
Paulie123
All Star Starter

22 October 2049

GM’s notebook

- Our postseason planning is temporarily on hold, while we await confirmation from the SCL salary arbitration panel as to whether Ángel Márquez and/or Pedro Soto will qualify as super-twos for next season. After their phenomenal years, their arbitration estimates have soared to $15.0m and $11.9m respectively.
- If neither qualify, I’ll essentially be able to retain the existing roster for one more season (other than the loss of Jeremy Williams to free agency).
- If both quality and get a figure around their estimate, I’ll have to slash the payroll by about $30m (gulp) to stay within Chris Rueda’s $100m cap.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #385
Paulie123
All Star Starter

29 October 2049

(Reproduced courtesy of SCL At-Bat, the number one app for all the latest SCL news and scores)

End of season awards gala sees Lee win third Outstanding Pitcher award
Emery takes WL Outstanding Hitter trophy and Glove Wizard prize

By Tim Curtain, 11:33PM, 29 Oct 49

Atlanta ace Donnie Lee was the big winner from tonight’s SCL end of season awards night, as he walked off with the third Outstanding Pitcher trophy of his career in recognition of his wonderful season. Meanwhile, both leagues’ Outstanding Hitter awards were won by former #1 overall draft picks. Terry Taylor of Concord took the Eastern League prize, while Madison’s Julián Emery won in the Western League. Emery also took home the WL Glove Wizard Award at first base.

Outstanding Hitter
Western League: Julián Emery (Madison) .329/.457/.616, 41 HR, 143 RBI
Eastern League: Terry Taylor (Concord) .273/.377/.535, 37 HR, 97 RBI

Outstanding Pitcher
Western League: Dave Frye (Baton Rouge) 20-3, 1.86
Eastern League: Donnie Lee (Atlanta) 20-7, 1.75

Rookie of the Year
Western League: Jeremy Black (Phoenix) .301/.333/.472, 15 HR, 78 RBI
Eastern League: Pedro Segura (Annapolis) .281/.339/.395, 6 HR, 45 RBI
Old 05-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #386
Paulie123
All Star Starter

I just noticed that this dynasty report has reached 10,000 views. A huge thank you to everyone who is coming over to this quiet corner of the forum to read about the Magpies. MLB Manager is just the best mobile game I’ve ever played by far, and if this thread is sharing with you even a fraction of the enjoyment I’m getting from playing and writing about it, that will do me.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #387
Paulie123
All Star Starter

4 November 2049

Taken from “The Big Book of Baseball Bywords” by BooBoo Berra:

“The last time I saw him that distraught was when he was five and his brother had ripped the head off his favourite teddy bear.”

- Gina Copeland, mother of Gabe Copeland
Old 05-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #388
Paulie123
All Star Starter

5 November 2049

To: Billy DePodesta

Des Moines Magpies Finance Department
NOTIFICATION OF SALARY ARBITRATION HEARING OUTCOMES

The SCL Commissioner’s Office has contacted me today to advise that both Ángel Márquez and Pedro Soto have been deemed eligible for salary arbitration as super-2 qualifiers. Next season they will earn the amounts we estimated: $15m and $11.9m respectively.

These large salary increases place significant pressure on our payroll position next year. Our contractual commitments for 2050 currently total $118.5m. This does not include any assumed salaries for Jeremy Williams, Rudén Merced or Bernardo Ramos, who will shortly become free agents. Replacements for these departed players would create additional pressure.

This means, of course, that you will need to reduce the team’s payroll for next year by at least $18.5m, in order to meet the owner’s strict requirement for a maximum outlay of $100m. Like last winter, therefore, you will need to trade members of the active roster who are under contract and replace them with lower-earning players. Our highest earning players in 2050 are currently scheduled to be:

1B Jeffrey White: $16.0m
SP Kevin Cantrell: $15.0m
3B Ángel Márquez: $15.0m
RF Pedro Soto: $11.9m
SS Roberto Caro: $10.8m
C Walton White: $10.0m
SP Robinson Ortíz: $9.5m
LF Enrique Limón: $9.0m
SP Wesley Weaver: $7.5m
MR Jorge Cruz: $6.5m

As an organisation, we have made a big mistake by not anticipating Soto and Márquez’s super-2 qualification. Had we negotiated contract extensions with them earlier in the season, before they both hit such fine form over the closing months, we may have been able to secure their services at significantly lower cost. I apologise for the Finance Department’s role in this oversight. It is a mistake we will not make again.

Looking further ahead, I have to tell you that our projected financial position for 2051, the year after next, is calamitous. Gabe Copeland, Ken James, Ángel Ochoa, Gustavo Cruz, Ernesto Solís and Gianni Hagenaars will all reach arbitration eligibility in a year’s time, and in aggregate we currently estimate that they will receive approximately $46m in salary awards from the arbitrator. Terry Lawrence is also certain to be a super-2 qualifier. That means our projected payroll for 2051 is at least $164m. Agreeing contract extensions with these players to cover their years of arbitration eligibility at a lower salary level than the estimate would cut this projection. Additionally, you should note Enrique Limón and Kevin Cantrell’s contracts expire at the end of next season.

Clearly, further significant payroll cuts will be required next winter.

Agamemnon Profitloss
Chief Finance Officer
Old 05-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #389
Paulie123
All Star Starter

6 November 2049

GM’s notebook

- “You must cut millions of dollars of payroll” is clearly going to be a familiar refrain every offseason now.
- We just won 108 games so I want to keep the current roster intact as much as I can and try to contend again next season. I will worry about the further cuts Agamemnon says will be required before the 2051 season later, either next winter or at the deadline. The priority for now is to get the budget for 2050 under control.
- Let’s look down Agamemnon’s list of the big contracts:

Jeffrey White: $16.0m - just too good to lose, only 26, and locked up for 3 more years
Kevin Cantrell: $15.0m - we have lots of good young pitchers but won’t have a true #1 starter without him
Ángel Márquez: $15.0m - fantastic last season and under club control for 4 more years
Pedro Soto: $11.9m - ditto
Roberto Caro: $10.8m - hit .239, batted #9 in the lineup most of the year
Walton White: $10.0m - a good hitter at his best, but form has been rather patchy
Robinson Ortíz: $9.5m - the only lefty in the rotation
Enrique Limón: $9.0m - unbelievable VFM for this year but about to enter last year of his contract
Wesley Weaver: $7.5m - consistently good, under contract for 3 more years
Jorge Cruz: $6.5m - elite reliever but young lefties David Gaines and Marv Lewis could do a job there

- My solution is to trade Caro, Walton White and Cruz. Caro could be replaced in the short-term in the infield by promoting Juan MacNamara or Zacharie Garneau, and prospect Reynaldo González may not be too far away. Walton White is probably not as good a catcher as Ernesto Solís, certainly defensively, so is dispensable in that sense. He and Caro alone would achieve the $18.5m payroll reduction I need, but leave me without a major league quality backup catcher to Solís. Trading Cruz as well would give me a small amount of headroom to sign a veteran backup catcher.
- The aim is to get the biggest haul of prospects I can for these three. If that includes a talented shortstop who could be a better bet than MacNamara or Garneau this season or next, great.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #390
Paulie123
All Star Starter

12 November 2049

GM’s notebook

- Jeremy Williams, Rubén Merced and Bernardo Ramos have become free agents and left the club.
- Williams is a Type A free agent and I expect to get draft pick compensation for him. He seeking a bonanza $22m per year over 6 years.
- Former Atlanta ace and reigning EL Outstanding Pitcher winner Donnie Lee is the top pitcher on the board.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #391
Paulie123
All Star Starter

18 November 2049

SCLhotstove.com/tittletattle
Lansing strengthen roster with acquisition of Caro and Cruz from division rivals Des Moines

Posted by Edmund Zut-Alors | Nov 18 | 4:51PM

Lansing have taken advantage of the budget crisis at Des Moines to acquire all-star caliber closer Jorge Cruz and experienced infielder Roberto Caro. The versatile Caro, who can play across the infield, was an all-star in 2047 and is a career .265 hitter. He is coming off a disappointing season for the Magpies, where he hit .234 and put up a .303 on-base percentage, but is still only 28 and will expect to bounce back next year. He will be the Sharks’ starter at second base. Cruz, 27, is one of the SCL’s premier left-handed relievers, and has been instantly installed as the Sharks’ closer. Last season he put up a 1.38 ERA over 42 appearances for the Magpies, and gives Lansing’s bullpen a huge upgrade. Minor league catcher Valentín Ortíz has also left the Magpies in the trade.

The Sharks have parted with three good prospects to land Caro and Cruz. Shortstop Eric Warner, 23, was the 61st overall pick in last year’s draft, and hit .360 over 50 at-bats in his first taste of big league action this year as a September call-up. He is pencilled in to take over from Caro as the Magpies’ shortstop.

The Magpies have also received the enticing prize of 20-year-old starting pitcher Cory Adams, the SCL’s #15 prospect. Although lacking overpowering stuff, Adams has four good pitches, and is renowned for consistently hitting his spots and keeping the ball in the park. He put up a 4.68 ERA over 19 relief appearances for the Sharks over the second half of this season, but will begin his Magpies career on the minor league roster. He adds to the club’s already incredible crop of pitching prospects, and could well feature for the Magpies later in the coming season. He projects to be a good #2 or #3 starter in future.

The final piece heading to Des Moines in the 3-for-3 trade is 21-year-old left fielder Rob Crawford, the former SCL #45 prospect. Crawford is a quality contact hitter with reasonable power. His defense, however, is a concern.

Magpies fans are unhappy with DePodesta’s latest move, which weakens their active roster, improves a direct divisional rival, and has clearly been driven predominantly by financial concerns. DePodesta conceded that the team needed to reduce payroll, but insisted that the Magpies had acquired three quality young players that would help keep the organisation strong in the long-term.
Attached Images
Old 05-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #392
Paulie123
All Star Starter

30 November 2049

====================
SCLmagpiesnation.com
====================

Magpies continue to cut payroll by moving catcher White to Concord, acquire Pereira in return

By Maggie Pye | 30 Nov | 1,747 comments

GM Billy DePodesta has shocked fans by trading popular catcher and former top prospect Walton White to the Concord Jackals. White had only signed a 4-year, $40m contract extension with the Magpies back in July, but finished the season sharing time behind the plate with backup Ernesto Solís and has now been deemed surplus to requirements in Des Moines. This is was a classic 3-for-3 DePodesta trade, and minor league relievers Wade Kelly and Tim Moore have also moved to Concord along with White.

The Magpies received three minor leaguers in return, two of whom are genuine prospects. Catcher José Pereira, 23, is the current SCL #64 prospect. He is an excellent defender but has been inconsistent with the bat. He hit just .121 over 19 games for the Jackals this year as a late-season call-up. He is expected to start the season on the Magpies’ active roster as backup catcher to Solís. Minor league starting pitcher Ronald Williams is the #45 prospect on BNN’s 2049 list. He has exceptional stamina but needs to develop greater control over his sinker/slider/splitter repertoire before he will be ready for the big leagues.

Also moving to Des Moines is 26-year-old Wilson Gómez, a former #88 prospect but who has had a series of off-field problems and has so far failed to fulfil his undeniable potential. No longer a prospect, DePodesta may view Gómez as a potential future trade chip rather than a genuine candidate for his active roster.
Attached Images
Old 05-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #393
Paulie123
All Star Starter

1 December 2049

The SCL Armchair Almanac, 2050 Edition

HIGHEST ON-BASE PLUS SLUGGING, 2049 SEASON

1.072 - Julián Emery (Madison)
.987 - Eric Nicholas (Lansing)
.969 - Jeffrey White (Des Moines)
.966 - Jeffery Kirkendall (Austin)
.912 - Terry Taylor (Concord)
.904 - Armando Rodríguez (Salem)
.893 - Chung Yang (Tallahassee)
.893 - Norberto Cividanes (St. Paul)
.884 - David Bauer (Montgomery)
.882 - Kenko Murakami (Baton Rouge)
Old 05-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #394
Paulie123
All Star Starter

1 December 2049

Zebedee Stethoscope
@glasshalfempty

Oh here we go. OQuinn, Givens, Rich, Martínez lst yr now White, Cruz & Caro ths yr. Ridiculous. #StopTradingOurBestPlayers
8:34PM - 1 Dec 2049

Ray Lucifer
@thedevilray

@glasshalfempty think of the incredible team we’d have right now if we hadn’t got rid of all those guys! #ifonly
8:37PM - 1 Dec 2049

Dave Conspiracy-Darkweb
@stickittotheman

@glasshalfempty just how #skint are we to have to keep ditching these sorts of guys? Something doesn’t add up here. Seems very obvious that malign imperialist globalist forces are at work here #illuminati #trustnoone #youcouldntmakeitup
8:38PM - 1 Dec 2049

Mike Psychic
@charlatan2049

But @glasshalfempty we’ve got some nice young talent back in return in these trades. I really like the potential in @SCLCoryAdams, he’ll be a member of our next championship winning rotation I predict! #YouHeardItHereFirst
8:40PM - 1 Dec 2049
Old 05-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #395
Paulie123
All Star Starter

11 December 2049

====================
SCLmagpiesnation.com
====================

Reports: Magpies keen on veteran catcher Sato

By Maggie Pye | 11 Dec | 19 comments

The Magpies have offered a 1-year contract to veteran free agent catcher Kenkichi Sato, sources close to the player have told MagpiesNation. GM Billy DePodesta is reportedly keen to sign an experienced catcher to play as backup to starter Ernesto Solís, and sees 32-year-old slugger Sato as ideal for the role. The Magpies recently obtained 23-year-old catcher José Pereira in a trade with Concord, but DePodesta seems keen to start the new year with Pereira gaining more experience in the club’s minor league team. Sato hit .159/.218/.311 last season for the Olympia Wolfhounds.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #396
Paulie123
All Star Starter

21 December 2049

Magpies confirm signing of free agent catcher Kenkichi Sato
Sato expected to provide backup to starter Ernesto Solís

By Buster Oldknee, 2:57PM, 21 Dec 49

The Des Moines Magpies have announced that they have reached an agreement with veteran Japanese catcher Kenkichi Sato. The 32-year-old free agent has signed a contract for the 2050 season worth $1.5m. Sato will provide an experienced backup for young starter Ernesto Solís. Recent acquisition José Pereira has been optioned to the club’s minor league roster.

The deal takes the Magpies payroll for the coming season up to $97m, still comfortably within the $100m limit which is rumoured to have been set by owner Chris Rueda. Sources in the Magpies front office say they still view Pereira as a likely member of their active roster in the long-term, but are keen for him to get more seasoning away from the spotlight of the major leagues. Sato’s arrival for the coming season means the Magpies will not feel a need to rush Pereira’s progress and allow him to develop at his own pace.
Attached Images
Old 05-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #397
Paulie123
All Star Starter

30 December 2049

====================
SCLmagpiesnation.com
====================

DePodesta appoints Kepler as new Magpies manager following retirement of Maddon

By Maggie Pye | 30 Dec | 271 comments

Following yesterday’s announcement that Magpies field manager John Maddon had decided to retire after 11 years at the helm, Magpies GM Billy DePodesta has announced that Johannes Kepler has been appointed to the post. Kepler has spent the last three years as director of player development at the Sacramento Stingrays.

DePodesta said: “I am delighted that someone of Johannes Kepler’s caliber has agreed to take up the vital field manager role in the Magpies organisation. During his time with the Stingrays, he has shown himself to be an original baseball thinker who will bring great energy to the role and is not afraid to think outside the box.” He dismissed concerns from some fans that appointing someone who has never been a manager at any level of baseball was a risk, saying: “Johannes has all the attributes we are looking for from the Magpies field manager, and I’m confident he’ll be a great success.” Maddon has kept an extremely low profile in the Magpies manager role over recent seasons, almost to the point of invisibility, but Kepler’s reign seems certain to be a livelier affair. Kepler’s impact on a roster that earned 108 wins last year will come under scrutiny from fans and media alike right from day one.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #398
Paulie123
All Star Starter

24 December 2049

GM’s notebook

- Jeremy Williams will be having a terrific Christmas after signing a 3-year contract worth $58m with the St. Paul Rockets. He didn’t get his desired 6-year contract, but got close to the annual amount he wanted.
- This news is a bit disappointing on two fronts. First, that he’s staying in our division. Second, that as compensation I’ll receive only a 1st supplementary round pick and the Rockets’ 4th round draft choice.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #399
Paulie123
All Star Starter

29 December 2049

(Extract from “Des Moines Dreams: A History Of The Magpies” by Lewis Michael)

Chapter 13

Chris Rueda deliberately arranged the meeting with Billy for a day when he knew the front office suite would be quiet, with many employees off enjoying the Christmas holidays with their families. Billy never spoke much about his family with work colleagues. He seemed pretty much to be related to his work, anyway.

Rueda wanted to discuss with Billy the strategy for the years ahead. He was ecstatic about the season just gone. A huge disappointment to lose the league championship series in the manner they did, sure, but no one had expected the team’s incredible season, and the fans kept coming pouring into the stadium on match day.

First, the bad news. Revenues were up, both from increased attendances in during the regular season and from all the playoff games, but the club’s financial health meant Rueda wasn’t yet in a position to offer a bigger payroll budget next season or the season after, he told Billy. Finance Director Agamemnon Profitloss would work through the numbers in due course, but Billy should plan on the basis of a $100m payroll continuing for the foreseeable future.

“Let’s review the strategy for the coming seasons”, Rueda said.

Billy explained front office’s thinking. They felt it didn’t make sense to go for a full rebuild at any stage. That process would get in some highly promising young talents, but it was likely the club wouldn’t be able to afford to retain some of them once they developed and reached salary arbitration anyway. Plus, the team was coming off 108 wins, and should aim to contend again at least for the next year or two, rather than tear it all down.

“The aim is to maximise our return from every dollar of payroll we spend,” said Billy. “The overall strategy is a cyclical process of repeatedly getting rid of players who offer us poor value for money and replacing them with good, young players on minimum salary. At any one time, our roster should have a handful of stars to anchor the team, and a bunch of talented, cheap youngsters around them. The best young talents will become our new anchors, and the rest will be traded to bring in new batches of younger and cheaper players. The best will then become our new anchors again and the process will repeat. That’s the plan at least.”

Rueda said nothing, so Billy went on. “Each winter, we will face an unaffordable budget for the following season, as a result of contractual increases we’ve previously negotiated or players reaching salary arbitration for the first time. We will need to review our player list and financial projections and decide who the anchors for the next couple of years are, and which players will be moved to bring in the new talent.

“Clearly, our drafting, player recruitment, player assessment and player development functions are crucial to our fortunes. If we are to compete, we need a pipeline of good young players coming into the organisation from trades and from the draft. We must make good decisions about which experienced veterans to retain for the long-term and not waste valuable payroll on poor contracts. If we have down years, we must view this as an opportunity to draft well.”

The strategy had certainly worked well last year. After the previous season, Jeffrey White, Enrique Limón, Kevin Cantrell, Jorge Cruz and Júlio Martínez were judged the team’s anchors. Philip Givens, Fernando Martínez and Michael O’Quinn were deemed expendable and moved for young talent.

Rueda nodded, smiled, and finally spoke. “I like it. I appreciate everything you’re doing for this franchise, Billy. The way we’re going, our financial constraints will not be permanent. It may take a while, but we will recover. One day, we’ll be able to build a team properly, I promise. Stick with it.”
Old 05-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #400
Paulie123
All Star Starter

2 January 2050

GM’s notebook

- I’m on the lookout for a cheap left-handed reliever to complete my bullpen. I currently have Gustavo Cruz and rookie David Gaines pencilled in for my two middle relief spots, but I’m not convinced Gaines is ready yet. His stuff is electric but his control remains erratic and rated 3/10 by my pitching coaches.
- I have my eye on free agents Dave Sutton and Jack Morris as options to tide me over until Gaines develops a little more. Morris was previously a reliever for us back in 2047. However I need to wait it out for their asking prices to come down. My payroll for this year is already $97m so I have little room to manoeuver. Gaines will keep the job if I can’t land Sutton or Morris for the right price (i.e. cheap).