Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team Open Beta Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #221
knightdreamer2k
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 52x in 39 posts
I think it was the right call going with Happ. Disappointed by the result but I like that we didn't give up. Bullpen did great, I like that we put some hits together.

Hopefully Happ gets a chance to redeem himself this post season.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #222
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,557x in 2,018 posts
You know, the flip side of what I said before about Happ's stellar career record against the BoSox (now tarnished a bit) is this mental block or something that David Price has against the Yankees. Why? Is it a "deer in headlights" kind of thing?

I can say with confidence, though, that depending on us beating up Price every time is probably going to end up in the same basket as anticipating Happ dominating the BoSox in Game 1. That's baseball.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #223
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Finally, finally, we have the BoSox right where we want them. Overconfident after an "historic" dump job on the Yankees (hey, how about that Austin Romine with his 18.00 post-season ERA?) and on the brink of being swept out of the playoffs as the Yankees win out. Right? Right?

- Bru

Old 10-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #224
psd
Major Leagues

Thanked 177x in 89 posts
Sox & Yanks have been swapping blowouts all year.

Regular season

Game 1. 14-1 Bos.
Game 2. 10-7 NY
Game 5. 9-6 NY
Game 7. 8-1 NY
Game 8. 11-0 Bos.
Game 9 11-1 NY
Game 10 15-7 Bos.
Game 15 10-1 NY
Game 16 11-6 Bos
Game 17 11-6 NY
Game 19 10-2 Bos

Why should this series be ANY different?

But I must say. Not trying to rub it in Bru. But that was a masterful job by Eovaldi. I don't care if Jalen Beeks turns into Miller, Chapman redux. The trade was worth it for that one game alone. He was nothing short of brilliant.

Don Henley

Last edited by psd; 10-09-2018 at 05:17 PM.
psd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #225
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd View Post
But I must say. Not trying to rub it in Bru. But that was a masterful job by Eovaldi.
No argument. It's another case of a player not doing well in NY (or the club giving up on him too soon), going someplace else, and blossoming.

- Bru

Thank you for this post:
psd (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #226
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Interesting article, Behind Enemy Lines: The Red Sox Fan at Yankee Stadium, the point being if you are going to wear a Red Sox jersey to Yankee Stadium (and vice-versa), you should keep a low profile.

Not like this guy:

Name:  merlin_145049079_4be19621-586f-4905-b93a-80fffbe11690-superJumbo.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  329.0 KB

More like this guy. Can you spot him?

Name:  merlin_145051227_4ac0bc72-5262-4409-9284-7746e368060b-superJumbo.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  437.2 KB

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 10-09-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #227
psd
Major Leagues

Thanked 177x in 89 posts
I am all for good natured ribbing, even maybe a little heated exchanges, but little exchanges. Not major. But no one should ever be physically assaulted or even threatened because they are wearing a Red Sox jersey in NY, or a NY jersey in Boston. Any teams jersey in any stadium, for that matter. I've heard and seen kids threatened for crying out loud. That's neanderthal behavior, and I despise it. Anybody caught doing so should be banned for life from the stadium.

Don Henley
2 thanks for this post:
Déjà Bru (10-09-2018), Whoofe (10-10-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #228
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am all for good natured ribbing, even maybe a little heated exchanges, but little exchanges. Not major. But no one should ever be physically assaulted or even threatened because they are wearing a Red Sox jersey in NY, or a NY jersey in Boston. Any teams jersey in any stadium, for that matter. I've heard and seen kids threatened for crying out loud. That's neanderthal behavior, and I despise it. Anybody caught doing so should be banned for life from the stadium.
I think you and I would get along, even when wearing rival jerseys.

- Bru

Thank you for this post:
psd (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #229
psd
Major Leagues

Thanked 177x in 89 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I think you and I would get along, even when wearing rival jerseys.
I have zero doubt. We would.

Don Henley
Thank you for this post:
Déjà Bru (10-09-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #230
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I have emerged from my post-defeat drunken stupor with a mammoth hangover but no regrets for this season or my rooting for this team. (I'm kidding about the drunken stupor and hangover.)

They are saying that Cora out-managed Boone in this series. I am inclined to agree but not to the extent of harshly criticizing Boone. In his first year as a manager, he did well.

As to the Red Sox, some Dire Straits lyrics come to mind (paraphrased): The team's too big. The team's too strong. My Yankees cap is off to them, not in surrender but in respect. Now, in fact, I am rooting for them but only for a short while.

- Bru

Thank you for this post:
psd (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #231
psd
Major Leagues

Thanked 177x in 89 posts
I know how you feel today, Bru. Believe me. The Sox were just the better team and they won. There is never any problem with getting beat by a better team. The Sox had bullpen issues all year, and the Yanks had starting issues all year. The Sox bullpen performed better than the Yankees starters. I really though CC was going to shut us right down. He always does. These crafty, soft tossing-lefties (which he is now) ALWAYS gave the Sox fits. But they got to him. Kimbrel almost gave it back, and I really thought, Game OVAH when Sanchez hit that fly ball. I just pictured the stupid ball dropping 2 feet beyond the fence, and the Yanks walk it off. But it stayed in the yard, just like Kinslers in the first. Either or both could have left. But neither did. Crazy ending. But what else do you expect when these two meet? Anything can and usually does happen.

Sox have this year and maybe next. That's their window. Dombrowski knows this. Your future is MUCH brighter at this point. Of course, it can all change VERY quickly. A few years ago it was reversed. But right now you have nothing to be ashamed of, and a VERY bright future to look forward too. And I HATE saying nice things about the Yankees. SO don't expect this all the time.

Don Henley

Last edited by psd; 10-10-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Thank you for this post:
Déjà Bru (10-10-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #232
knightdreamer2k
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 52x in 39 posts
So I have come to grips that my teams arch-nemesis won the world series. The Yanks had a good season anyway you cut it, just need to make adjustments.

Interestingly enough the NY Red Bulls won the supporters shield the same day the sox won the world series so it was a bitter sweet day. More annoying is the power rankings on ESPN has Houston and Boston as the top teams.

I thoughts the Yanks looked better post-season wise then the Astros. The Yankees really need an ace/stopper. They need someone they can hand the ball to that can reliably shut teams down. Post season Tanaka is the best they have got. I think you resign Happ for a short term contract and add an ace, with some of the same pieces you come back at it again.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #233
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

A good move to re-sign Gardner, albeit at a discount. (They declined his $12.5MM option for 2019 but signed him for $7.5MM.)

Plus, "Combined with the $2 million buyout that was a part of the four-year, $52-million deal he signed before the 2015 season, Gardner is in line to make in the range of $9.5 million next season." Don't ask me how that works.

Anyway, it's nice to have him around one more year. I dumped on him a while back but that was before I learned how valuable he is in the clubhouse.

- Bru

Old 11-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #234
knightdreamer2k
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 52x in 39 posts
Quote:
A good move to re-sign Gardner, albeit at a discount. (They declined his $12.5MM option for 2019 but signed him for $7.5MM.)

Plus, "Combined with the $2 million buyout that was a part of the four-year, $52-million deal he signed before the 2015 season, Gardner is in line to make in the range of $9.5 million next season." Don't ask me how that works.

Anyway, it's nice to have him around one more year. I dumped on him a while back but that was before I learned how valuable he is in the clubhouse.
I like Gardner on the team but I hope he is not an everyday player. Part of the reason our offense sputters here and there is because we have players with a low batting average.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #235
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
I like Gardner on the team but I hope he is not an everyday player. Part of the reason our offense sputters here and there is because we have players with a low batting average.
Oh, I think we can be pretty sure of that, barring injuries.

- Bru

Old 11-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #236
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,362x in 2,022 posts
Quote:
I know how you feel today, Bru. Believe me. The Sox were just the better team and they won. There is never any problem with getting beat by a better team. The Sox had bullpen issues all year, and the Yanks had starting issues all year. The Sox bullpen performed better than the Yankees starters. I really though CC was going to shut us right down. He always does. These crafty, soft tossing-lefties (which he is now) ALWAYS gave the Sox fits. But they got to him. Kimbrel almost gave it back, and I really thought, Game OVAH when Sanchez hit that fly ball. I just pictured the stupid ball dropping 2 feet beyond the fence, and the Yanks walk it off. But it stayed in the yard, just like Kinslers in the first. Either or both could have left. But neither did. Crazy ending. But what else do you expect when these two meet? Anything can and usually does happen.

Sox have this year and maybe next. That's their window. Dombrowski knows this. Your future is MUCH brighter at this point. Of course, it can all change VERY quickly. A few years ago it was reversed. But right now you have nothing to be ashamed of, and a VERY bright future to look forward too. And I HATE saying nice things about the Yankees. SO don't expect this all the time.

Who - the White Sox?

Red Sox and Yankees rarely have their window close, simply because they have the resources to rebuild/retool in 1 or 2 off seasons. They don't spend 4 - 8 years drafting high and hoping. They just spend $$$ because they can and because it works for them. Nothing wrong with that either.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:46 AM   #237
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Who - the White Sox?

Red Sox and Yankees rarely have their window close, simply because they have the resources to rebuild/retool in 1 or 2 off seasons. They don't spend 4 - 8 years drafting high and hoping. They just spend $$$ because they can and because it works for them. Nothing wrong with that either.
I was going to argue with this but then thought better of it. I was going to say that the Yankees have not won anything since 2009 but that's not accurate and it's not what you meant. The Yankees have been competitive in the meantime, to varying degrees, and I am thankful for that.

However, I think one thing needs to be tuned in your statement: Gone are the days (hopefully) of just spending $$$ to achieve championships. I believe that strategy, if adhered to primarily, has been debunked. Sure, free agency remains a valuable tool but I believe baseball general managers, at least one named Cashman, now know that it's only one tool for building a successful franchise.

- Bru

Old 11-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #238
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,362x in 2,022 posts
Quote:
I was going to argue with this but then thought better of it. I was going to say that the Yankees have not won anything since 2009 but that's not accurate and it's not what you meant. The Yankees have been competitive in the meantime, to varying degrees, and I am thankful for that.

However, I think one thing needs to be tuned in your statement: Gone are the days (hopefully) of just spending $$$ to achieve championships. I believe that strategy, if adhered to primarily, has been debunked. Sure, free agency remains a valuable tool but I believe baseball general managers, at least one named Cashman, now know that it's only one tool for building a successful franchise.
I agree with you, spending isn't the same. They still spend more because they have more, but I believe they spend a lot smarter now. The days of throwing money around freely are gone, but they still spend. They seem to do well on the International side of things, as well as drafting. Yankees have done real well in that department of late.

I don't know, maybe it's because they've been spending freely for so long they're just good at spending, lol. Either way, I will stand by the "rarely closed window" comments though, these teams contend for post season play more of than not.
Old Today, 05:22 PM   #239
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I'm always skeptical about this "can't play in New York" thing (substitute "major media market" for New York, perhaps) but it seems to be an accepted fact that it happens sometimes. Accepted not just by the media, which would be dismissed immediately in my book, but by baseball executives, apparently (click the article for a larger view).

Part of it is wearing the uniform and dealing with the media, I suppose, but this guy does seems to have had a real problem pitching in the Bronx. Look at those splits:
Attached Images
Image Image 

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; Today at 05:31 PM.