Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team Open Beta Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 346x in 257 posts
The step sisters conspiracy against Cinderella

I posted about this last January and it continues to anger me. I tell people I love the sport of football, but I hate just about everything football related that happens off the field. And this is one of the main hangups I have about college football.

UCF went unbeaten last year & proved they were legit by beating the only team to defeat Bama last season. Here they are still unbeaten and being still disrespected. They reached #10 in the AP & #9 in the coach's poll during week 7. Five teams above them in both rankings have lost since then. UCF's ranking now? 10th in the AP & Coach's. That's right, they have not just remained stagnant, they even lost a slot! The AP rated Oklahoma in week 8 & Florida this weekend higher thanks to their victories over powerhouse Bye Week Tech.

I've said it for years now. There has never been a true national champion in college football & will never be until they create a system that gives every school a legit chance to earn the trophy. Until then, a football NC is about as legit a contest as beauty pageant.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 802x in 460 posts
http://ucfknights.com/SportSelect.db...&SPSID=1115428

I hate to be that guy but that schedule is not inspiring at all.
Until they push to move to a power conference their undefeated seasons cannot be taken seriously.
I would say hanging around the top 10 top sounds about right.
Their week to week schedule is just flat out average to weak.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

And here is last years schedule
http://ucfknights.com/SportSelect.db...onf_school_id=

Similarly uninspiring. Sorry but I can’t get behind you on this.
Maybe try and join the ACC or SEC
Does the Big east still have a good football conference? I can’t keep up anymore

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 10-22-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Unbeaten is unbeaten.

Get a loss, then start comparing schedules. Until then, every team, no matter the schedule, should have a shot to win the championship when the season starts.

The Big East no longer exists as a football conference. The former members of the BE that had football programs became the American Conference. The basketball-only schools broke off & are the Big East.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
Whoofe
Major Leagues

Thanked 97x in 65 posts
college basketball just as bad. NCAA committee chooses 9th place barely over .500 record big conference schools over 28-4 small conf schools

IMO if you finished 8th or 9th place in your conf, you've already proven you aren't a top team

and I like to see david take on goliath. the butler vs duke final a number of years back was one of the most entertaining ever, IMO, and I don't even really like basketball
Whoofe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoofe View Post
college basketball just as bad. NCAA committee chooses 9th place barely over .500 record big conference schools over 28-4 small conf schools

IMO if you finished 8th or 9th place in your conf, you've already proven you aren't a top team

and I like to see david take on goliath. the butler vs duke final a number of years back was one of the most entertaining ever, IMO, and I don't even really like basketball
At least in basketball, there is a potential path to the title for the lesser known programs. There is none for 95% of the football programs.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Unbeaten is unbeaten.

Get a loss, then start comparing schedules. Until then, every team, no matter the schedule, should have a shot to win the championship when the season starts.

The Big East no longer exists as a football conference. The former members of the BE that had football programs became the American Conference. The basketball-only schools broke off & are the Big East.
I don't really care about college sports but not all losses and all wins are created equally.
A 1 loss team from the SEC should be given preference over undefeated team from the WAC or MEAC or whatever other ones still exist.

But that is just my opinion.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #8
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I don't really care about college sports but not all losses and all wins are created equally.
A 1 loss team from the SEC should be given preference over undefeated team from the WAC or MEAC or whatever other ones still exist.

But that is just my opinion.
A season should start with everyone having a chance.

Also, did you note teams jumped UCF despite not playing a game? So why was Florida & Oklahoma considered worse than the Knights one week, then rated better the next despite having done absolutely nothing to add to their resume? SOS had nothing to do with the change.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-23-2018, 01:46 AM   #9
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A season should start with everyone having a chance.

Also, did you note teams jumped UCF despite not playing a game? So why was Florida & Oklahoma considered worse than the Knights one week, then rated better the next despite having done absolutely nothing to add to their resume? SOS had nothing to do with the change.
I don’t do the rankings so that one I cannot answer.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:31 AM   #10
Sharkn20
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 37x in 30 posts
I disagree with this, the power conferences are calle power for a reason, if they are that good they should move to one of them power conferences to have a chance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #11
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I don’t do the rankings so that one I cannot answer.
I can answer it. Favoritism. It adds to why the college "playoff" is not an equitable system. THe powers that be claimed there is a path for those outside the power 5 to win the title. But the fact is there isn't. The truth is there isn't a path even for the majority of the Power 5 teams.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #12
wwines
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 154x in 107 posts
This about sums it up. Sorry for UCF but schedule somebody.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thank you for this post:
damientheomen3 (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #13
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 565x in 344 posts
Quote:
I can answer it. Favoritism. It adds to why the college "playoff" is not an equitable system. THe powers that be claimed there is a path for those outside the power 5 to win the title. But the fact is there isn't. The truth is there isn't a path even for the majority of the Power 5 teams.
Considering the nature of the game there isn't enough time from an amount-of-games standpoint to be truly fair about it. Teams get 12 games, and the best get 13, to prove their worth to make a 4-game playoff. Imagine if the NFL and the CFL merged, but the CFL teams only played one or two games max against NFL teams and prioritized scheduling the cupcakes as their NFL opponents rather than testing their mettle against the Patriots or the Rams. Would you then be in favor of a 10-6 NFL team missing the playoffs over a 10-6 CFL team that went 1-0 against the Giants and 10-5 against CFL competition?
spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
You see, this guy here, he is that guy. Don't be that guy.

Join the VHL today!
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #14
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,190x in 1,486 posts
I can't stand "strength of schedule," but in this case it's correct. UCF doesn't play enough games against good teams. I wish the playoffs had more teams in it so that a team like UCF could have a chance to prove themselves against bigger schools, but it isn't right now.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:47 PM   #15
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 579x in 463 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
I can't stand "strength of schedule," but in this case it's correct. UCF doesn't play enough games against good teams. I wish the playoffs had more teams in it so that a team like UCF could have a chance to prove themselves against bigger schools, but it isn't right now.
When they go to 8 it will help teams like this.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #16
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,190x in 1,486 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
When they go to 8 it will help teams like this.
Is it a "when" or still just an "if"? I haven't heard a definitive expansion in the works.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #17
Ragnar
All Star Starter

Thanked 128x in 103 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
Considering the nature of the game there isn't enough time from an amount-of-games standpoint to be truly fair about it. Teams get 12 games, and the best get 13, to prove their worth to make a 4-game playoff. Imagine if the NFL and the CFL merged, but the CFL teams only played one or two games max against NFL teams and prioritized scheduling the cupcakes as their NFL opponents rather than testing their mettle against the Patriots or the Rams. Would you then be in favor of a 10-6 NFL team missing the playoffs over a 10-6 CFL team that went 1-0 against the Giants and 10-5 against CFL competition?
I think everyone understands what you wrote. The problem I have is in the fact a ton a schools aren't really given a chance no matter how well they play. The design is flawed. If you cut a couple of games from the regular season and make a 32 team playoff, that would give some schools a chance like Basketball. In most cases they'd be playing the same amount of games or 2-3 more.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #18
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 579x in 463 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Is it a "when" or still just an "if"? I haven't heard a definitive expansion in the works.
I think the money is a definitive an answer as I need. The USA loves playoffs and we will watch which will bring in TV money.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #19
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
You're not getting my point. I'd have no problem with a 10-6 NFL team getting in over a 10-6 CFL team. But I would have a problem w/a 10-6 NFL team getting picked over a 16-0 CFL team. SOS, head to head, pt diff, etc. these are all things used in tiebreakers. But the 1st tiebreaker is win & losses. If a team has 0 L's they should qualify. You could go as far as making them a wild card because of the schedule if you want. But they at least deserve a chance. They've earned it. UCF had zero chance last year & will have zero this year, if a team taking a break can be seen as having a better week than UCF winning a game on the road.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #20
Cod
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 97x in 62 posts
It is simple economics my friend. Under the current TV contract, Disney (ABC/ESPN) pays the NCAA $470-million per year for the broadcast rights. Think the TV execs want to show a team with a small following like UCF? I don't care how good a team is, their Win-Loss record doesn't translate into $$$$. I'd be willing to bet a .500 Alabama team would generate 5x the revenue of an undefeated UCF team.

Just look at the TV ratings from last week's action for hard facts. UCF-ECU had ~486k viewers. Oklahoma-TCU had ~2.5M viewers...and TCU is terrible this season. The Colorado/Wash. game generated ~3.2M viewers and neither of those teams are in the AP Top 25. I didn't look, but I beat the first seven weeks of the season show a similar trend.

Bottom line, it's about money my friend...especially for the NCAA and media companies.

Note, I don't have any bias in this because I cannot watch college sports because of what the NCAA has done to them.

Last edited by Cod; 10-28-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote