Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.5.47 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Collection Missions for Perfect Team Released!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
daves
All Star Starter

Thanked 406x in 288 posts
Question Stamina confusion?

Can some help me understand pitcher stamina? I am trying somethings but the stamina makes no sense from the following:

1. So I wanted to start relievers and utilize Starters in my bullpen. Started Sambito with a stamina of 16. He pitched 84 pitches and went 5 innings. With a stamina of 16 how did he last so long?

2. I scrapped the reliever starting idea and just put in a pitch limit of 40. This does work by editing the player strategy and quickly hooking starters. However, I thought a pitch count limit of 40 will allow more games available to pitch? Why does a full rested 100% starter with a Stamina of 88 that pitches 44 pitches become 4% exhausted?

3. I had a 4 man rotation with a setting to strict and pitch highest rest occasionally. I had relievers starting and the game started using my relievers as starters? There were no emergency SPs setup but the game was still starting a relief pitcher offsetting any strategy I was trying to use. If starters are exhausted does the game automatically start a reliever with the highest Stamina?

4. Is there a hidden stamina adjustment when placing Starters in the bullpen? If I put a 111 stamina pitcher in a setup role, he seems to be tiring after just one inning of relief?

When trying to strategize by using the settings in the game, I just wonder what the unseen settings are that affect the questions above?

Last edited by daves; 05-11-2019 at 08:32 AM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Thanked 160x in 129 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
Can some help me understand pitcher stamina? I am trying somethings but the stamina makes no sense from the following:

1. So I wanted to start relievers and utilize Starters in my bullpen. Started Sambito with a stamina of 16. He pitched 84 pitches and went 5 innings. With a stamina of 16 how did he last so long?

2. I scrapped the reliever starting idea and just put in a pitch limit of 40. This does work by editing the player strategy and quickly hooking starters. However, I thought a pitch count limit of 40 will allow more games available to pitch? Why does a full rested 100% starter with a Stamina of 88 that pitches 44 pitches become 4% exhausted?

3. I had a 4 man rotation with a setting to strict and pitch highest rest occasionally. I had relievers starting and the game starting using my relievers as starters? There were no emergency SPs setup but the game was still starting a relief pitcher offsetting any strategy I was trying to use. If starters are exhausted does the game automatically start a reliever with the highest Stamina?

4. Is there a hidden stamina adjustment when placing Starters in the bullpen? If I put a 111 stamina pitcher in a setup role, he seems to be tiring after just one inning of relief?

When trying to strategize by using the settings in the game, I just wonder what the unseen settings are that affect the questions above?

You are not alone. This happens to me as well. I've been trying to figure it out myself to no avail.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
daves
All Star Starter

Why can't DH Ohtani go into my pitching bullpen???

He has the pitching ratings on his card.

Last edited by daves; 05-11-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
daves
All Star Starter

Quote:
Why can't DH Ohtani go into my pitching bullpen???

He has the pitching ratings on his card but the game won't let me put him in my bullpen.
Ok I actually figured this one out. I set his position as a reliver and put him in the bullpen. Now he can bat and pitch!

Last edited by daves; 05-11-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Dogberry99
All Star Reserve

Thanked 327x in 234 posts
As I understand it, the issues you're trying to work through have much less to do with stamina and much more to do with how fatigue is accrued and recovered.

For lack of a better analogy, the game assumes that SP's have a mindset that they will pitch after a certain set amount of days. This overrides anything dealing with the number of pitches they throw, which is why they have very low readiness levels after even smaller amounts of pitching, as well as why they will still recover at a certain set speed.

Starters in the bullpen also change their pitching mindset. The game treats it as though they are not holding anything back, leading to them gaining fatigue quicker.

I don't have any explanation for why low stamina starters can go as long as they seem to be able to. I used Wilcy Moore (with a stamina in the 40's) as a SP for a while in 19, and he would regular go about as far as your Sambito. *shrugs*
daves (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
Goliathus
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 168x in 101 posts
How's his performance in the 5 innings? Maybe the AI let him stay cuz the opponent can't hit his pitches even though he is exhausted? The AI could be written in a way that it will not waste relievers unless necessary, especially in the early innings. If the starter is doing good, AI will just let him eat the innings until the opponent starts hitting.

Last edited by Goliathus; 05-11-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Goliathus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
daves
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliathus View Post
How's his performance in the 5 innings? Maybe the AI let him stay cuz the opponent can't hit his pitches even though he is exhausted? The AI could be written in a way that it will not waste relievers unless necessary, especially in the early innings. If the starter is doing good, AI will just let him eat the innings until the opponent starts hitting.
He was pitching well till the 5th. So I guess that is why the computer left him in.

So Stamina does not seem to mean much? Is it how the pitcher is doing.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #8
dkgo
Major Leagues

Thanked 294x in 162 posts
Infractions: 1/0 (0)
a starter getting tired after 80 pitches seems like what you would expect with low stamina... Guys with a middle 50-60 stamina can get around 100 while the guys with high 90-100 stamina will push 120 pitches so the scale seems pretty consistent

we know that a pitcher set as a reliever tires faster since they give more effort each pitch while a SP paces himself, you cant just compare pitches thrown by a starter to a reliever with the same stamina
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
daves (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #9
Goliathus
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 168x in 101 posts
Quote:
He was pitching well till the 5th. So I guess that is why the computer left him in.

So Stamina does not seem to mean much? Is it how the pitcher is doing.

It's my guess based on basic coding knowledge. I assume they code it based to the norm, which is a starter with starter level stamina, and decide the behavior from there. In a normal situation, the AI is surely keeping the starter in until it feels the starter isn't performing at the level it wants based on various factors like runs given, balls given, stamina level, current score(just to make sure it doesn't screw a shutout, complete game and etc) and others I cannot think of right now.

I think stamina is still a factor, because the pitch quality will surely drop as the pitcher tires. Thus, stamina has a direct effect on how the pitcher is doing. I think if you give that 16 STM pitcher 10 starts, you might see him not performing well earlier than the typical starting pitchers on average assuming similar rating on the three main stats.
Goliathus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #10
allenciox
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 135x in 85 posts
so early on in my Perfect Team 20 career, I tried pitching some of these 18 or 20 stamina relievers as starters. Even though I picked my very best pitchers I had, they would pitch 5 or 6 innings but their ERA was atrocious. I think what happens is that the computer will leave them in for 5 or 6 innings, but they tire quickly, and so are not at their best in those last few innings. That's why the system puts those very low Staminas on true relievers --- if you just went by their attributes, if they had the Stamina, they would kill your starters.

Oh, FYI, I only did this with relievers that had at least three good pitches. They still got shelled.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #11
daves
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
so early on in my Perfect Team 20 career, I tried pitching some of these 18 or 20 stamina relievers as starters. Even though I picked my very best pitchers I had, they would pitch 5 or 6 innings but their ERA was atrocious. I think what happens is that the computer will leave them in for 5 or 6 innings, but they tire quickly, and so are not at their best in those last few innings. That's why the system puts those very low Staminas on true relievers --- if you just went by their attributes, if they had the Stamina, they would kill your starters.

Oh, FYI, I only did this with relievers that had at least three good pitches. They still got shelled.
When you did this you needed to go into the pitching strategy for the player, set a pitch count limit and set hook as starter QUICK. This stops the pitchers to go to deep into the game.

The problem when you set relievers as starters, you need 13 or 14 pitchers on your roster.
Attached Images

Last edited by daves; 05-12-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #12
bluesguy
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 15x in 13 posts
Quote:
When you did this you needed to go into the pitching strategy for the player, set a pitch count limit and set hook as starter QUICK. This stops the pitchers to go to deep into the game.

The problem when you set relievers as starters, you need 13 or 14 pitchers on your roster.

Hey all,

There's a fairly simple way to do exactly what you're trying to do.
The stamina ratings are on a scale of 1 -100.
Starting pitchers typically pitch 85 -100 pitches.

Closers throw 6 - 20.
Take a starter that has a stamina of 100 - 105.
Move him to the starting rotation. Now in the ratings slide the starting
hook all the way to the left, write in a pitch limit of 18.
Slide the reliever hook to 25% of the range.
Change the position from starter to releiver.
The stamina will increase, the stuff rating might even go up.
Save changes.

If you want your starter to throw 50 pitches, you can leave him set as a starter and still limit his piches the same way.
So use the hook slider and edit the number of pitches.
It's close enough to acurate, think scale of 1 - 100 and think pitches 1 - 100.
I use a 12 man pitching staff, 5 SP, 6RP, 1CL.

m

Last edited by bluesguy; 05-12-2019 at 09:34 PM.
bluesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
daves (05-12-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:12 AM   #13
One Great Matrix
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 32x in 24 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post

And it's true at this point (2019) that relievers often have more intense stuff (maybe no better control or mix-up of pitches to keep hitters off-balance) but are truly kinda trained to come in and face 3-6 batters tops. You rarely see a guy come in out of the pen and get 6-9 outs regularly anymore, or a swing man that is at the back end of the rotation AND in the pen available. Kinda confusing how the stamina on the old relievers is often extremely low, too but.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #14
neugey
Major Leagues

Thanked 158x in 97 posts
It seems like stamina was changed to not be such a big factor as I heard it was in PT 19 with the 4-man rotation meta. Maybe they wanted to cut down on tactics such as getting all high-stamina pitchers and trying to outlast the competition and carry less pitchers.

All I know is I still pay too much attention to stamina and I probably shouldn't fear those 50-70 stamina SP as much as I do.

F2P Dynasty Team OOTP 20 PT - League View Senators:

F2P Dynasty Team - OOTP 20 PT - Rosenblatt Rockets

neugey is offline   Reply With Quote