Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 18.8.76 Update Available - OOTP 18 Available - FHM 4 Available - MLB Manager 2017 Available Now

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 Available!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #21
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,950x in 1,826 posts
I am currently playing the 2017 Cardinals from the latest quickstart. I am making the same external transactions as the real team (forced if necessary like the Adams and Gonzales trades) while letting the game control the injuries. I control the roster so my 40-man is somewhat different (Sierra has not been called up) but the same players are still in the system somewhere. I did my own draft.

I am about one week behind the real team with a slightly better record. My versions of Seung-Hwan Oh and Aledmys Diaz are performing much better than real life, but my Tommy Pham and Jedd Gyorko are who we thought they were. Most of the rest of the players are having similar seasons with some variation due to injuries.

As soon as the real Cardinals pass the trade deadline, I will play forward with my own moves. I have already decided that the NL will adopt the DH for the 2018 season.

The Cardinals certainly need a MOTOB (middle of the order bat), so that will be my off-season priority (assuming that they don't acquire one in real life this week). The Cardinals have a nice minor league system, so I am inclined to develop my own players for the future at most positions but I don't see that superstar bat anywhere. I will have money but I don't think the free agent market will be that good. Machado and Harper signed long-term extensions with their current clubs in my game so I won't be waiting around for them to become free agents in 2019 either. My best plan is to trade whatever it takes for a superstar to build around.

My most valuable trade chip is Carlos Martinez and even he is not untouchable. What would it take besides him to get Mike Trout? How about Martinez and my three best prospects? Probably not enough...
Old 07-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #22
dannibalcorpse
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 20x in 15 posts
Started an MLB standard sim with the Mets, trying to see what they might be like without all the injuries - then had a season where only Matt Harvey made more than 30 starts (Wheeler made 12, DeGrom 18, Matz 17, Syndegaard 27). Rafael Montero stepped up as a good swingman, making 24 starts with a 3.34 ERA and 8.1 K/9. On offense, Travis d'Arnaud missed all but 26 games, Yo Cespedes played only 102 games, and Jay Bruce missed exactly half the year, playing in 81 games. Despite this, the team managed to go 85-77 and was in the wildcard hunt til the end of the year.

With all the injuries, I had to get creative with moves - Lucas Duda went to the Red Sox in July when he was hitting .219/.308/.339 with 6 HRs for a package of middling prospects - Junior Lake, Danny Mars, Hector Velazquez, and Ronny Orta. Mars hit alright in AA, but the move was mostly to shed Duda's salary and give Dominic Smith playing time - he wound up hitting .310 the rest of the way. Gave up a handful of middling prospects at the deadline to get Derek Holland from the White Sox, that's how bad the pitching injuries got. Holland was OK, but nothing special.

In the offseason, I wanted to get some more durable players. First move I made was sending Zack Wheeler & Sean Gilmartin to Arizona for Taijuan Walker. Walker was a slightly above average pitcher, but doesn't have nearly the injury history Wheeler has - plus he's 2 years younger. Traded Gavin Cecchini, who is basically blocked at the major league level, for catcher prospect Nick Ciuffo, who my scout loves. Traded Neil Walker to the A's for Matt Joyce & BJ Boyd, converted Asdrubal Cabrera to 2B, and brought up Amed Rosario to play short. Traded Matt Harvey (0-7, 6+ ERA after his All-Star selection) & Josh Edgin to Toronto for a package of prospects highlighted by Vladimir Guerrero Jr. And sent a package of Robert Gsellman, Travis d'Arnaud, 19 year old SS prospect Andres Gimenez, and two other middling prospects to the White Sox for Jose Quintana.

About to start 2018 with the following roster:
Rotation: Syndegaard, deGrom, Quintana, Matz, Walker
Relievers: Addison Reed, Jerry Blevins, Hansel Robles, Fernando Salas, Montero, Jose Torres
Closer: Jeurys Familia

Lineup - C: Ciuffo/Plawecki, 1B - Dom Smith, 2B - Cabrera, 3B - Wilmer Flores, SS - Rosario, LF - Cespedes, CF - Brandon Nimmo, RF - Conforto, CI - David Wright, MI - TJ Rivera, OF - Granderson/Lagares

Pretty excited for this - feel like I made the team younger and better at the same time, and lowered payroll to only the 10th-highest in the league.
dannibalcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
IanIachimoe (08-17-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #23
absurddoctor
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 23x in 13 posts
I've recently started a 2017 game where I've taken over as GM and Manger for the Mets, playing out every game.

We were in last place at the end of April, but as of May 28th with 49 games played, we are 3 games behind the 1st place Nationals.

Interesting occurences:

April 7th: Zack Wheeler taken out of game for injury after 2.2 innings.

April 8th: Picked up Rafael Ortega off waivers from the Padres. (Desmond Jennings was demoted to Las Vegas). Lugares was still on the DL, and I wanted a defensive outfielder for the bench. He has played in 33 games, starting 23 of them, with a .314/.372/.412 line. Add in 6 stolen bases and decent fielding stats and he's been a delightful surprise.

April 9th: Activated Jeurys Familia from the DL, but still needed to go through his suspension. Ben Rowen was designated for assignment to LV.

April 10th: Zack Wheeler diagnosed with wrist soreness and sent to the 10-day DL. Rafael Montero called up from LV.

April 13th: Noah Syndergaard diagnosed with a strained oblique. It was listed as a D-t-D injury, expected to last 6 weeks, so I decided to play it safe and put him on the 10-day DL. Juan Lagares came off the DL and went to LV for rehab time.

April 14th: Brought up Adam Wilk from LV to start in his first MLB game since 2012. (He did pitch two innings as a reliever in 2015.) We were playing in Miami. He made it through the first 8 innings giving up only 2 hits, and we were up 3-0. His pitch count was on the low side, and my bullpen was shot (IIRC, I was still short a reliever thanks to Familia's suspension). So I kept him in. AJ Ellis struck out swinging. Dee Gordon singled. Christian Yelich doubled. Marcell Ozuna grounded out but Gordon scored. Giancarlo Stanton homered to tie the game at 3-3. Justin Bour hit another single but J.T. Realmuto struck out swinging to end the inning. We failed to score in the top of the 10th. Since Wilk was still not listed as tired, my bullpen as shot, and I really wanted to give this guy I had never heard of before a chance to win, I kept him on for the 10th. A single, a walk, and two outs later, Derek Dietrich singled in the winning run, and my hopes of a good hero story were dashed.

April 20th: Picked up Wily Peralta off waivers from Milwaukee, hoping to shore up my bullpen a bit. He has now pitched 19 innings across 11 games, picking up 3 wins, 0 losses, and 1 save. He has an ERA so far of 0.95 and a whip of 1.00. His BABIP of .214 explains some of that though. Josh Edgin was designated for assignment and placed on waivers.

April 21st: Zach Wheeler came off the DL, I sent him to LV for some rehab time.

April 23rd: Milkwaukee claimed Josh Edgin off waivers, creating a strange sort of trade. I've gotten the better part of that deal, in his 10.1 innings across 12 games with the Brewers Edgin has 0 wins/losses/saves, an ERA of 7.59, and a WHIP of 1.78.

April 24th: Still hoping to improve my bullpen a bit, I signed free agent Charlie Furbush to a 1 year $1.36 million contract. Josh Smoker was demoted to LV. At the time, Smoker had pitched 10.1 innings in 13 games, had one win, a 1.74 ERA, and 1.45 WHIP, with a 2.45 FIP. So far, Furbush has pitched 12 innings in 10 games, with 2 wins and 1 loss, an ERA of 3.00, and a WHIP of 1.08. His FIP though is 4.80, so he has been saved by a BABIP of .222. Strangely, I hadn't look at their stats closely until just now, and I thought Furbush had been doing much better than Smoker. This seems to have been a bad move. Curtis Granderson was diagnosed with a D-t-D elbow sprain. I decided to put him on the 10-day DL and end Lugares' rehab time with a promotion.

April 25th: Wilmer Flores was diagnosed with shoulder tendinitis and sent to the 10-day DL. I purchased Gaven Cecchini's contract from LV.

April 28th: 2.2 innings into his second rehab game for LV, Zack Wheeler had to be taken out. 2.2 is an unlucky number for him.

April 30th: Zack Wheeler is diagnosed with a bone spur in his elbow, and his season is expected to be over. Placed on the 60-day DL. At this point in time I begin figuring out who I'm going to sell off, we are in last place and the DL is not very promising looking.

May 6th: I signed Jerry Blevins to a 3 year extension totaled at $10.8 million. This was an owner goal, and since Blevins was doing allright and I was already expecting the season to be a disaster, I figured I would achieve at least one goal to help save my job. What I just noticed now is that he was already signed through 2018, so this means I actually have him for another 4 years. Given his age, I'm not sure thats such a great thing, though the extension rate isn't too crazy at least. The third year is a player option, so maybe he'll take it. In other news that day, Wilmer Flores came off the DL and went to LV for rehab time. Neil Walker was dianosed with hamsstring tendinitis and placed on the 10-day DL. I purchased Matt Reynolds contract from LV with rather low expectations. With 14 starts out of 19 games, he's rolling with a .328/.394/.517 line, with 2 home runs to go with that. I thought defensively he was doing better than Walker, as he seems to make the important plays ... the stats say he is actually doing worse though. Either way, he's been an unexpected but important part of my May offensive rally.

May 10th: Brandon Nimmo comes off the DL and heads to LV for rehab time.

May 13th: Rafael Montero and Adam Wilk were far exceeding my expectations in their roles as starters, but I didn't think this likely to last so I listed a need for starting pitching in the Trade Needs section. A few offers had come in, all wanting Michael Conforto, and I wasn't able to work out anything palatable. Then the Giants offered Jeff Samardzija for Conforto. After negotiations, I sent them Curtis Granderson, Brandon Nimmo, pitching prospect Thomas Szapucki and pitching prospect Justin Dunn for Samardzija. What made this deal workable to me was the ability to utilize the new salary retainment feature. San Francisco retained 100% of Samardzija's salary, and he is on contract through 2020. Granderson hadn't been doing much for me stats wise (though I forgot that losing his leadership skills could also be a big hurt). The rest of the team had suddenly remembered how to hit though, and if I thought shoring up my rotation might give me a chance this year after all. Adam Wilk was designated for assignment and placed on waivers to make room for Samardzija.

May 16th: Neil Walker came off the DL, and went to LV for rehab time.

May 17th: Wilmer Flores was looking good in his rehab stint, and Gavin Cecchini was not looking good in his MLB stint, so Flores came back up and Cecchini went down to LV.

May 19th: Hansel Robles was diagnosed with shoulder inflamation that was expected to last several weeks. Robles was placed on the 10-day DL. Josh Smoker was promoted.

We are now at 28-21.

Current Rotation: Jacob Degrom, Matt Harvey, Jeff Samardzija, Rafael Montero, Robert Gsellman

Current Bullpen: Wily Peralta, Fernando Salas, Josh Smoker, Charlie Furbush, Jerry Blevins, Addison Reed, Jeurys Familia

Lineup:

C: Travis d'Arnaud. For once in OOTP for me, his bat is hot, at one point leading the league in OPS, HR, and batter war. He has slowed down a bit, but still looking at .321/.391/.571 with 10 home runs, good for 2.3 WAR. Rene Rivera is the backup.

1B: Platoon between Lucas Duda (we'll miss you!) and Wilmer Flores. Duda is having a bad year, but I end up wanting Flores to play short-stop vs left-handed pitchers, so Duda isn't a complete bench-rider yet.

2B: Currently a platoon between Matt Reynolds and Jose Reyes. Reynolds will probably have it to himself after the next lineup adjustment (I typically adjust lineups every 10 games).

3B: Platoon between Jose Reyes and T.J. Rivera. Likely to be Reyes fulltime after next adjustment, though that will be a close call.

SS: Platoon between Asdrubal Cabrera and Wilmer Flores. At some point I'll figure out how to bring up Rosario, but these guys have been hitting well enough that I've been happy to procrastinate on figuring that out.

Outfield: Conforto in left, Jay Bruce in Right, Lugares and Rafael Ortega platooning in center. Jay Bruce's power has been coming through, and he's on track for 33 home runs. Lugares has a surprising .289/.372/.395 line ... but I think Lugares has always done really well in OOTP for me offensively.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #24
absurddoctor
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 23x in 13 posts
With 25 PA's, Rafael Montero has a line of .273/.250/.409. His sixth hit of the season so far was a 2 out grand-slam. Not quite as cool as when my simulated Bartolo Colon hit his first home-run a few days after the real Bartolo Colon did, but it feels up there.

Meanwhile, Yoenis Cespedes is looking at a .257/.342/.410 line, with 3 home runs.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #25
Shoeless' Socks
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Incessant inability to formulate a *&%*(() functional bullpen. I LITERALLY cannot build a bullpen no matter what I try.
Shoeless' Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #26
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Thanked 145x in 79 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI52 View Post
I've been playing the same fictional league since 2015 (in real life and game life). Currently in the 2035 season. Since starting the league, I've slowly expanded from 10 teams to 16.

I have way more fun when my team is losing than winning, so I usually expand the league and switch teams once my current team is getting too good. I won 4 World Series in the first 10 seasons with my initial team, then switched to an expansion team before 2025. Won 2 World Series with them, then switched to my current expansion team before 2034.

My team now, the Bucks, isn't doing so hot, and our minor league system isn't so great, either. I love getting really immersed in my league, though, so I simulate very slowly and take care to learn about all the different players and prospects in my world.
This is pretty much how I play it too. I don't manage the games, just let the Real Time Sim do it's work. It takes me, on average, 3 months to go through a season. I also have more fun when my team isn't dominating.

Currently I'm in Season 10, started in 1940 and now it's 1949. I won 3 Legendery Series in a row from 1942-1944 and haven't been back to the playoffs since. That's because the winners from each of the 4 divisions (2 leagues) make the playoffs. We've been in 2nd place every time since to Detroit which won a Legendary Series of their own. Due to my unsuccessful teams and the owner not being happy, I was planning on making this my final season as the Minnesota Pioneers GM unless I met his mandate to make the playoffs.

So far so good, made some moves for better players at the end of their prime and sold the future as a last ditch effort. Currently they are 29-17 and 5 games up on Detroit in the division. Much more to go but if they make the playoffs I may stick around another couple years before leaving and then pick up the worst team in the league and try and build them up.

One story line I've used is, I took much time at the league's creation to make sure everyone had the United States as their nationality (a couple Canadians for good measure) and make sure no one was Hispanic. I wanted to have a story line like the Negro Leagues and integration with them so I waited a 5 years before having the first Hispanic free agent join the league, my own version of Jackie Robinson. Since then I've only let 1 or 2 Hispanic players join the league as free agents every year as the league grows. Adding story lines is what keeps me going in my fictional league.
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #27
NYYGardner11
Bat Boy

Thanked 2x in 1 post
I've started 2019 in a Tigers save and, in a very small sample size, my offense has been nuts.

First, a little recap:

2017: 62-100

This year was terrible. We were decimated by injuries and bad pitching even when our good players were healthy. It's a shocker we held on to Brad Ausmus but, given his expensive contract, we showed him some patience. We sold off some pieces at the deadline, including a trade that sent J.D. Martinez to Arizona, like the real Tigers did. Nobody wanted V-Mart or any of our other expensive vets so it was a minor sale-year. In the offseason, we continued our goal of cutting the payroll. We didn't sign any huge FA deals or anything.

2018: 76-86, third in the division

Definitely a bounce back year for the Tigers. For most of the year, we were in the hunt and even had possession of a playoff spot but we collapsed down the stretch. In a down year for AL pitching, Fulmer won the Cy Young with this stat-line: 16-10, 3.67 ERA, 225.2 innings, 208 Ks, 1.32 WHIP.

Which brings us to a pivotal year in 2019. Ausmus is in his contract year. We've mostly remade the other staff: we hired Gary DiSarcina from the Red Sox to be our bench coach and we hired Dave Magadan from the Diamondbacks to be our hitting coach.

Looking at the roster:

James McCann is our starting catcher. C is a weak spot for the team so we'll look to upgrade that. We brought in former All-Star Derek Norris on a minor league deal to be the backup.

Miggy has sole possession of the starting 1B spot. He's 35 and under contract through 2025....Luckily, he's still producing and he's been incredibly healthy (161 games in 2017, 159 in 2018.) He's hit 31 and 37 HRs in the save, respectively in 2017 and 2018. I worry he's going to start to decline; despite the increase in his HR total, most of his other stats dropped from '17 to '18. Nonetheless, he's an active legend; 2893 hits, 514 homers and 84.6 career WAR so far.

We wanted to upgrade at 2B so we too a flier on Brett Lawrie for 2019. Worst case scenario, he's a plus defender that we signed to a one year deal.

3B Nick Castellanos might be a budding star. In 2018, he made his first ASG. He's 27 and in a contract year so we'll have to wait and see what his future holds.

Scooter Gennett is our main utility player. He's a free agent at the end of the year, so he's playing for a contract, whether it's from us or someone else. We also signed Danny Espinosa this past offseason but he'll miss the first two weeks of the season after an ST injury.

Jose Iglesias is an interesting case. He's a two star player with 1.5 star potential. But in 113 games last year, hit hit .320. He tore his meniscus so he missed most of August and all of September. After a 3.1 WAR season in 2018, we gave him a two year contract. We tried making it a one year deal with an option for a second but he just wouldn't go for it. We'll see if he can keep his his production.

Our outfield is cluttered, to say the least. Starting with late-blooming star Tyler Collins: he's a 3.5 star 28 year old. In 111 games last year, he hit .282 with 24 homers, giving him a 3 WAR season. He has a starting spot.

Steven Moya: good power hitter but relegated to the bench. He's 27, he's hit double digit HRs (17--> 14) in both seasons of the save, and his average increased from '17 to '18.

Rafael Ortega: claimed off waivers from SD. Great defender and, despite poor ratings, he has played well in limited opportunity for us. In 2018, he hit .279 in 113 games.

Christin Stewart: he's an outfielder by nature but he's our starting DH. He's 25 and already a 3 star player. Good contact and power. He hit .278 with 23 homers last year in his first full season in the bigs.

Justin Upton: the previous regime gave him a big contract (signed through 2021 with no options) and we've been stuck with it. Luckily, he has earned his keep. He's a 3.5 star player with plus power and defense in LF. He hit 31 homers in 2017 (after hitting 31 homers in 2016) and he upped is RBI total to 104. Last year, he upped his average but his RBI totals fell back to the low 80's but he still hit 30 HRs. He's a starter.

Which brings us to Dalton Pompey. We signed this super-speedy, top-notch defender in the offseason to a one year deal with a team option for Y2 and a player option for Y3. On paper, he is not a good hitter.

Through three games in 2019, this has not been the case. He hit for the cycle in the second game of the year (first time I have ever seen it in a user-game) and he's hitting .600. I really hope he keeps it up.

It's not just Pompey enjoying a hot start though. Stewart is hitting .364, Castellanos is hitting .429, and Upton is hitting .444 with a two-homer game to boot. Even McCann is hitting .333 to start the year. We're 3-0 to start the year with a sweep of KC.

A quick look at the pitching staff:

SP: Michael Fulmer, Daniel Norris, Jorda Zimmerman, H. Ryu (minor league deal and called up) and a badly regressed Verlander who is in his last year under contract (he has a team option for next year.) He's had a 5.1 ERA both years of the save and has only started 18 games in both due to injuries.

RP: Jonathan Broxton (signed to one year deal with two options this past offseason) RP Heath Hembree (Rule 5 pick before last season) Jared Miller (JD Martinez trade) Joe Jimenez, Jacob Rhame (Rule 5 pick from LAD) and CP Bruce Rondon.
NYYGardner11 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Calvert98 (08-17-2017), Greenbay (08-14-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #28
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 234x in 179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I am currently playing the 2017 Cardinals from the latest quickstart. I am making the same external transactions as the real team (forced if necessary like the Adams and Gonzales trades) while letting the game control the injuries. I control the roster so my 40-man is somewhat different (Sierra has not been called up) but the same players are still in the system somewhere. I did my own draft.

I am about one week behind the real team with a slightly better record. My versions of Seung-Hwan Oh and Aledmys Diaz are performing much better than real life, but my Tommy Pham and Jedd Gyorko are who we thought they were. Most of the rest of the players are having similar seasons with some variation due to injuries.

As soon as the real Cardinals pass the trade deadline, I will play forward with my own moves. I have already decided that the NL will adopt the DH for the 2018 season.

The Cardinals certainly need a MOTOB (middle of the order bat), so that will be my off-season priority (assuming that they don't acquire one in real life this week). The Cardinals have a nice minor league system, so I am inclined to develop my own players for the future at most positions but I don't see that superstar bat anywhere. I will have money but I don't think the free agent market will be that good. Machado and Harper signed long-term extensions with their current clubs in my game so I won't be waiting around for them to become free agents in 2019 either. My best plan is to trade whatever it takes for a superstar to build around.

My most valuable trade chip is Carlos Martinez and even he is not untouchable. What would it take besides him to get Mike Trout? How about Martinez and my three best prospects? Probably not enough...
Will you ever do a dynasty report again?
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #29
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,950x in 1,826 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klew1986 View Post
Will you ever do a dynasty report again?
Maybe.
pgjocki (08-18-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #30
homerj
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 61x in 35 posts
What I like to call the OOTP Special...

"The kid had it all working last month," a veteran teammate told reporters. "He keeps up those kind of numbers, we might have to start inviting him out with us after the games."

Felipe Rivero put together a very solid month to take home the National League's top pitching honor in April.

The 25-year-old reliever threw like a veteran. In 12 relief appearances he raked in 7 saves and 19 strikeouts in 13 innings as he put together his 3-0 record and 0.69 ERA.

The same day...

The season will end prematurely for Felipe Rivero, the Pittsburgh closer. He suffered a torn flexor tendon in his elbow on 04/28/2017, an injury that is serious enough to knock him out of action for the rest of the year. Rivero was not available for comment.

For the year Rivero has 7 saves in 12 relief appearances with a 3-0 mark and 0.69 ERA.
homerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #31
Redeemed143
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 17x in 14 posts

decided to start in 1871 using my great great great grandfather as a gm.
figure to move each grandfather into gm role as year seems appropriate.
right now i am enjoying watching pitchers throw 200+ innings per game
Redeemed143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #32
PH2
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Firing the game up for the first time - had it since pre-release, but life has been going 300 MPH for the last 6 months.

Anyway, I created a fictional association (the Mid-Western Baseball Association) and am simming some history. Second year of the association, Cedar Rapids wins the Great Plains League by a game over Topeka. The two teams played a 3-game series to end the year, with Topeka holding a 2 game lead over Cedar Rapids. Cedar Rapids swept all 3 games on the road to win the league - and all 3 were won in extra innings!

Pretty cool.
PH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
IanIachimoe (08-17-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #33
IanIachimoe
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 156x in 91 posts
getting close to (hopefully) my first 100 win season. 30 games left & 84 wins. 8 games up.

played most of the season without Cespedes, Harvey & Cabrera. Wilmer Flores & waiver wire additions are carrying my team at the moment (Nick Franklin, Christian Walker, Didi Gregorious, etc).

Dalton Pompey has a realistic chance at breaking Rickey's SB record.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #34
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Thanked 145x in 79 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed143 View Post
decided to start in 1871 using my great great great grandfather as a gm.
figure to move each grandfather into gm role as year seems appropriate.
right now i am enjoying watching pitchers throw 200+ innings per game
I'm actually doing that too in my fictional league. Started with my grandfather, at some point will retire him and do my dad who was a Jr. and I'm the III. Figure it'll make for some interesting storylines.
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #35
IanIachimoe
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 156x in 91 posts
this
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 08-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #36
SxSnts9
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 29x in 20 posts
Pujols on the Mets? You took on that giant contract for 40 games? LOL
Old 08-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #37
Mr. Marlin
All Star Reserve

Thanked 423x in 214 posts
My good hitters didn't hit good. My good pitchers didn't pitch good. I finished 20 games under .500 in a season we were supposed to contend following two key injuries, one of which took out my best bullpen pitcher for the year. And I got fired. The very next year that team won the damned championship!

So THIS is how it feels to be Tony Dungy!
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #38
IanIachimoe
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 156x in 91 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SxSnts9 View Post
Pujols on the Mets? You took on that giant contract for 40 games? LOL
took him from HOU after I lost Duda to FA last year. great leadership in the clubhouse & a big boost in fan interest.

not a bad replacement on short notice, but just a bench bat now.

HOU is paying 45% of his salary.
LA is paying 55% of his salary.
NYM are paying him $1.
Attached Images
Old 08-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #39
SxSnts9
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 29x in 20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIachimoe View Post
took him from HOU after I lost Duda to FA last year. great leadership in the clubhouse & a big boost in fan interest.

not a bad replacement on short notice, but just a bench bat now.

HOU is paying 45% of his salary.
LA is paying 55% of his salary.
NYM are paying him $1.

Haha $1 ok that's awesome.
IanIachimoe (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #40
Danius
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 40x in 25 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
What I like to call the OOTP Special...

"The kid had it all working last month," a veteran teammate told reporters. "He keeps up those kind of numbers, we might have to start inviting him out with us after the games."

Felipe Rivero put together a very solid month to take home the National League's top pitching honor in April.

The 25-year-old reliever threw like a veteran. In 12 relief appearances he raked in 7 saves and 19 strikeouts in 13 innings as he put together his 3-0 record and 0.69 ERA.

The same day...

The season will end prematurely for Felipe Rivero, the Pittsburgh closer. He suffered a torn flexor tendon in his elbow on 04/28/2017, an injury that is serious enough to knock him out of action for the rest of the year. Rivero was not available for comment.

For the year Rivero has 7 saves in 12 relief appearances with a 3-0 mark and 0.69 ERA.
I played a fictional season and drafted a Finnish (yes, from Finland) starter as my ace. He went on to have an incredible season, with an ERA just over 3.00 and like 14K's/9 innings. On the LAST DAY of the season (with the team having been eliminated from playoff contention the day before), he tore his labrum...out 12-13 months. He won the Cy Young (my first ever pitching triple crown in fictional play) knowing that he wouldn't be able to defend it, and knowing he'd probably not pitch at all the next season. In the first week of September the next year, as he approached availability to return (which would have been huge for a playoff-bound team with only two solid starters), he re-injured himself ...evidently working out too hard...out another 14-17 months.

Last edited by Danius; 08-18-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Danius is offline   Reply With Quote