Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team is LIVE!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,619
Thanks: 716
Thanked 567x in 405 posts
Largest possible NHL ?

I am nearing July 1st and this will be the first time I will be able to add teams and have an expansion draft at the same time.

I don't want to max out the teams the first time around and I don't think it's been mentioned about the limit on teams.

I have two custom leagues (54 and 60 teams) and can't add teams or expand so I am guessing the leagues are maxed out(unless these features aren't possible with custom leagues?).
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:31 AM   #2
chickenwingzach
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I am fairly certain that you can only expand by one team a year. This is different than OOTP where you can virtually have unlimited expansions. As to how many you could have, I have not personally tested it out.

Last edited by chickenwingzach; 01-18-2019 at 02:00 AM.
chickenwingzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager
 
Adam B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 720
Thanks: 42
Thanked 358x in 178 posts
You can start a custom league with up to 90 teams but you aren't able to expand past that.

When we first started testing the NHL, we actually had unlimited expansions this year but it proved to be too unstable, so I believe it's limited to 36 teams right now.

You can only add one expansion team to get to 32, but you could add more via the league structure setting.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,619
Thanks: 716
Thanked 567x in 405 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
You can start a custom league with up to 90 teams but you aren't able to expand past that.

When we first started testing the NHL, we actually had unlimited expansions this year but it proved to be too unstable, so I believe it's limited to 36 teams right now.

You can only add one expansion team to get to 32, but you could add more via the league structure setting.

I could do a fictional NHL because the current NHL is too boring with the same teams year after year.

It's hard to stay interested when you can't have new team match ups .

So with league structure you can still only add up to 36 teams max for the NHL?

Last edited by Orioles1966; 01-18-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager
 
Adam B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 720
Thanks: 42
Thanked 358x in 178 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
I could do a fictional NHL because the current NHL is too boring with the same teams year after year.

It's hard to stay interested when you can't have new team match ups .

So with league structure you can still only add up to 36 teams max for the NHL?
I think so, although it may be 40. Not sure off the top of my head.

I mean you can collapse, move or anything else you want now though.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
MikeMontrealer
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 19
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
I think so, although it may be 40. Not sure off the top of my head.

I mean you can collapse, move or anything else you want now though.
It's definitely 36, I can't add more teams (which shut down my Euro expansion plans in my current run).

If we could go to a maximum of 48 teams with larger playoffs possible (ie 20 or even 24 teams) that would be ideal.
MikeMontrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #7
Cowscrazy
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2x in 1 post
I was really thinking about jumping onto this series. But reading this is disappointing. Sounds like its not on the same Level as there Baseball version yet.

Even though I do have problems with the baseball version if you start to get really huge leagues like past the 60 team mark. But thats not the point

I also envision an expanded euro league at some point. I'll have to wait and see if version 6 comes out with better features before I jump into this.
Cowscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager
 
Adam B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 720
Thanks: 42
Thanked 358x in 178 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowscrazy View Post
I was really thinking about jumping onto this series. But reading this is disappointing. Sounds like its not on the same Level as there Baseball version yet.

Even though I do have problems with the baseball version if you start to get really huge leagues like past the 60 team mark. But thats not the point

I also envision an expanded euro league at some point. I'll have to wait and see if version 6 comes out with better features before I jump into this.
First, our games are different. I point that out because we generate more players and and coaches than OOTP. The issue is how the AI handles the situation.

When we added the feature this year and in early beta tests we (and I) personally ran, we had unlimited adds. The problem became two fold - the AI couldn't handle it because the quality of players dropped and so we had to cap it again.

Hockey is different than baseball, and yet similar. You aren't just adding 28 teams, you're adding 84.That's adding up to 1400 new possible NHL caliber players into the game when I doubt there's more than 200 right now. Other leagues aren't going to mysteriously collapse, and even if they did it doesn't mean that they would bring the same level of talent to the NHL.

Arguably, there isn't 64 quality NHL goalies right now. How does the league react when you add 56 additional jobs? The talent pool also drops substantially as well. There's many factors to consider when adding these unlimited teams.

But what I am happy we did add is the ability to subtract and move teams, so if you wanted to create a North America vs European division, you could have some fun there.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
MikeMontrealer
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 19
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
First, our games are different. I point that out because we generate more players and and coaches than OOTP. The issue is how the AI handles the situation.

When we added the feature this year and in early beta tests we (and I) personally ran, we had unlimited adds. The problem became two fold - the AI couldn't handle it because the quality of players dropped and so we had to cap it again.

Hockey is different than baseball, and yet similar. You aren't just adding 28 teams, you're adding 84.That's adding up to 1400 new possible NHL caliber players into the game when I doubt there's more than 200 right now. Other leagues aren't going to mysteriously collapse, and even if they did it doesn't mean that they would bring the same level of talent to the NHL.

Arguably, there isn't 64 quality NHL goalies right now. How does the league react when you add 56 additional jobs? The talent pool also drops substantially as well. There's many factors to consider when adding these unlimited teams.

But what I am happy we did add is the ability to subtract and move teams, so if you wanted to create a North America vs European division, you could have some fun there.
Thanks for the background.

I think coupling this with the ability to change the underlying generation of players and staff would be an answer. Jeff mentioned that there's no current way to modify a country's base attributes for instance; in a long term career I'd like to every so often increase these for some countries which would help ensure a good pipeline of talent even in an expanded league. And I'm sure some would like to keep it at 31/32 and still have fun playing what-if where the global talent level went way up (or way down) and other kind of scenarios like this.
MikeMontrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,619
Thanks: 716
Thanked 567x in 405 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
First, our games are different. I point that out because we generate more players and and coaches than OOTP. The issue is how the AI handles the situation.

When we added the feature this year and in early beta tests we (and I) personally ran, we had unlimited adds. The problem became two fold - the AI couldn't handle it because the quality of players dropped and so we had to cap it again.

Hockey is different than baseball, and yet similar. You aren't just adding 28 teams, you're adding 84.That's adding up to 1400 new possible NHL caliber players into the game when I doubt there's more than 200 right now. Other leagues aren't going to mysteriously collapse, and even if they did it doesn't mean that they would bring the same level of talent to the NHL.

Arguably, there isn't 64 quality NHL goalies right now. How does the league react when you add 56 additional jobs? The talent pool also drops substantially as well. There's many factors to consider when adding these unlimited teams.

But what I am happy we did add is the ability to subtract and move teams, so if you wanted to create a North America vs European division, you could have some fun there.
Why not have the ability to clone players that way if you double or triple the NHL or custom league then just clone the best players that way there would be no shortage of talent. Same goes with goalies and in the future FHM when you can import historical players or teams then the quality will still be there.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager
 
Adam B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 720
Thanks: 42
Thanked 358x in 178 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMontrealer View Post
Thanks for the background.

I think coupling this with the ability to change the underlying generation of players and staff would be an answer. Jeff mentioned that there's no current way to modify a country's base attributes for instance; in a long term career I'd like to every so often increase these for some countries which would help ensure a good pipeline of talent even in an expanded league. And I'm sure some would like to keep it at 31/32 and still have fun playing what-if where the global talent level went way up (or way down) and other kind of scenarios like this.
I mean, you'll be able to find enough talent for 36, after that it can get more dicey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Why not have the ability to clone players that way if you double or triple the NHL or custom league then just clone the best players that way there would be no shortage of talent. Same goes with goalies and in the future FHM when you can import historical players or teams then the quality will still be there.
If you want to play a Custom 3 tier league, you can start off with a (non-expandable) 90 team top league.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
MikeMontrealer
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 19
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
I mean, you'll be able to find enough talent for 36, after that it can get more dicey.
Agreed and it works well, I'm just saying if you allow for the base generation settings to be changed you can then have a much larger NHL (like 48 teams).
MikeMontrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #13
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,619
Thanks: 716
Thanked 567x in 405 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
I mean, you'll be able to find enough talent for 36, after that it can get more dicey.



If you want to play a Custom 3 tier league, you can start off with a (non-expandable) 90 team top league.
I have 54 and 60 team custom league's and it won't let me add or expand teams. What's up with that if like you say you can have a 90 team league but I guess that's only if you start with that many.

I would prefer to grow my leagues that way I can stay interested.

No expansion or no adding of teams make's it boring and non-interesting .
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Dkitson16 (02-14-2019)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments