Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.5.52 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special: Save 50% on OOTP 20!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 454x in 344 posts
My goodness! What a monster

This animal doesn't deserve bail. He is a killer in waiting.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 17x in 15 posts
What are the odds that Fanene has a severe case of CTE, 99.9%? It certainly doesn't excuse this behavior in any way, but perhaps his life would have been much different if never burdened with playing this violent sport. Too bad President Roosevelt didn't go through with the ban on football a century ago as so many lives would have been spared immense suffering, both the participants and their loved ones.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Ragnar
All Star Starter

Thanked 138x in 112 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
What are the odds that Fanene has a severe case of CTE, 99.9%? It certainly doesn't excuse this behavior in any way, but perhaps his life would have been much different if never burdened with playing this violent sport. Too bad President Roosevelt didn't go through with the ban on football a century ago as so many lives would have been spared immense suffering, both the participants and their loved ones.
Probably none. In 2005 he played in 3 games. 2006 4 games. He played in 14 games in 2007 and in all that time started only once. In his entire career he started 17 games. He was a career bench warmer and came in for relief on occasion for a few plays. Oh yeah, and this from the link provided in the OP.

Quote:
According to the affidavit, since 2009 Fanene has twice held a .357 revolver to her head, and on another occasion he stomped on her head after she found an email he sent to another woman.
Yes. Some guys are just like this naturally. They don't all play football.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 17x in 15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Probably none. In 2005 he played in 3 games. 2006 4 games. He played in 14 games in 2007 and in all that time started only once. In his entire career he started 17 games. He was a career bench warmer and came in for relief on occasion for a few plays.
My guess would remain close to a 100% considering pretty much every NFL player who's had an autopsy of their brain had CTE. Fanene played 7 years in the NFL and that is countless practices preceded by 4 years of college football and 4 years of high school football. That's just an immense accumulation of head trauma. I would imagine most football players are well on their way to CTE before they ever play a single snap in the NFL. We'd all be better off if the sport had gone away long ago.

Edit: And, that's true of every gladiator sport.

Last edited by darkhorse; 06-08-2019 at 12:03 PM.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 17x in 15 posts
66 college football players, who did not go on to play professionally, have had their brains autopsied and 57 (86%) were confirmed to have CTE.

Football = guaranteed brain damage of some level and a sickening likelihood of severe trauma. Not to mention the significant damage done to other parts of the body.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
Ragnar
All Star Starter

Ok. Let me be more to the point. I think he is that person with or without football.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #7
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 17x in 15 posts
G*dd*mn, the data is grim. 3 of 14 players autopsied who had only played football at the high school level were diagnosed with CTE.

"First-stage symptoms include attention deficit hyperactivity disorder as well as confusion, disorientation, dizziness, and headaches. Second-stage symptoms include memory loss, social instability, impulsive behavior, and poor judgment. Third and fourth stages include progressive dementia, movement disorders, hypomimia, speech impediments, sensory processing disorder, tremors, vertigo, deafness, depression and suicidality."

Quote:
Ok. Let me be more to the point. I think he is that person with or without football.
We'll never know, but obviously someone's decision making process would be severely impaired by CTE.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #8
Ragnar
All Star Starter

I know they're still working on this, but I'd love to know why many that receive repeated blows to the head for extended periods of time don't develop CTE. But many others do, even when exposed to less. I'm also wondering how many people are being tested that are not athletes.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #9
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know they're still working on this, but I'd love to know why many that receive repeated blows to the head for extended periods of time don't develop CTE. But many others do, even when exposed to less. I'm also wondering how many people are being tested that are not athletes.
I would imagine athletes are the only workforce subjected to frequent head trauma. Soldiers are about the only other occupation I can think of. And frankly, we all know how keen the military is on studying long term health risks for soldiers once they aren't enlisted.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 06-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
Ragnar
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I would imagine athletes are the only workforce subjected to frequent head trauma. Soldiers are about the only other occupation I can think of. And frankly, we all know how keen the military is on studying long term health risks for soldiers once they aren't enlisted.
I agree. But in order to have a complete study you need to test everyone. Not just those that take hits to the head.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #11
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree. But in order to have a complete study you need to test everyone. Not just those that take hits to the head.
I'm not sure why you would need to study "normal", uninjured people to learn the effects of head injuries. Wouldn't that be like examining women in order to learn how to treat the prostate?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #12
Ragnar
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I'm not sure why you would need to study "normal", uninjured people to learn the effects of head injuries. Wouldn't that be like examining women in order to learn how to treat the prostate?
CTE is a degenerative brain disease. As far as what I've read it is caused by repeated blows to the head. If you come to that conclusion then those that do not receive repeated blows to the head must rarely have this condition, right? And you don't know that without checking them too.