Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.5.52 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special: Save 50% on OOTP 20!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 02-11-2005, 03:24 AM   #1
DirtyJerz
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Question **Seting up an Online League? HELP plz!

Hello everyone,

I had recently purchased oopt6 and im very interested in creating an online league of my own. I dont know what i need and how to set it up in order to begin. Can anyone please help me out? Im new with FTP.

-I know that i need a FTP Host (HostUltra), a FTP uploader (Filezilla) and a homepage. Do i need anything else?

-For hostultra, do you recommend me to buy a domain or will i be fine with the free server.

-How do I setup everything?

-On the online set-up(oopt6), i dont know what i need to fill out. What do i have to do first so that i can get all the stats and data onto the website. Where it says FTP address, would i have to enter hostultra.com? or do i just save it, then use filezilla?

Is there like a process that you would do, for instance upload files from oopt6, then load it onto filezilla, then upload and transfer the files to the website using filezilla.
Would that be correct?

-Im also new with Filezilla, can anyone give me a quick tutorial? Where it says server address, name, and password, would i have to enter www.hostultra.com and my sn and pw?

-Also i have noticed that the rosters don't have their real names. Would i have to rename every player including the minors? or do i download the 2005 rosters from someplace?

i would really appreciate it if someone can help me out..

My sn is idirtyjerz@aol.com.

Thank You,
-Mike
DirtyJerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:09 AM   #2
phenom
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 209x in 106 posts
are you looking to be a commissioner of an online league, or are you just looking to upload your stuff?

If you're looking to be a commish, I highly recommend becoming more familiar with the game and joining a league or two to see how it runs first.

phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
Ben Music
Major Leagues

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Yeah, I highly recommend joining and on-line legaue and get the feel of how that works before you start your own. It will be invaluable experience.
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." - Albert Einstein
Ben Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
sporr
Global Moderator

Thanked 41x in 2 posts
I will confirm what the others have just said. As for the technical details of uploading to your server, most servers offer some kind of FAQ or message board that would be far more helpful for your specific server and case.
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #5
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 287x in 138 posts
The following was copied and pasted from a post I made some time ago:

While I agree that joining a league to get experience would be helpful, there's nothing wrong with learning as you go. However, try to fill your league with your friends who'll agree to live with any mistakes that happen as you learn what you're doing as a commissioner. Most of the online players who frequent these forums will quickly notice a beginner and will not tolerate too many beginner mistakes from a commissioner. But it's just a game right!?

First of all, make sure you run OOTP on a very good computer, with as much RAM as possible and a fast processor if possible. Although OOTP can be run with the minimum requirements in a computer, I don't recommend it if you plan on being a commissioner. You want to avoid game crashes and slow downs as much as possible.

As for your running an online league & uploading to a website follow these instructions:

1. Get the highest speed internet connection possible.
2. Make some adjustments in your pc to free up RAM. (see my post in "Pc slow or bogging down?")
3. Defragment your hard drive.
4. Sign up and pay for a reliable webhost that supports ftp in an area near you. If you live in California, sign up with a webhost based in California. (Free sites rarely support ftp)
5. Create a subdomain NOT just a folder on your website with the name reports (just an example!). Now your website's URL is www.you.com and your league reports will be at www.reports.you.com.
6. Now in the ftp settings in OOTP6,
FTP SERVER ADDRESS: www.reports.you.com
USER NAME: reports@you.com (verify the username when creating subdomain)
PASSWORD:********(verify the password when creating subdomain)
LOCAL STARTING DIR: / (that's right, just a simple slash!!)
PORT: 21

7. Now create and publish your league website main pages to www.you.com. Here is where you can have your league news, and resources. Make sure to have a navigation bar with a nice simple link to www.reports.you.com.
8. Create a folder on your website called "league file". Here is where you'll upload your *zipped league file for other OOTP users to download so they can run their teams. The league file will have the ftp settings already input so other GM's will simply hit "export" and you can just hit "import teams" before your scheduled sim. Then be sure to put a link to you league file on your main page of www.you.com
9. If you need a good ftp program download Filezilla at:http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/ it's free and great for transferring files from your computer to your website.

While there are different ways to organize your website and folders in it, the key is to keep them organized. I simply present a simple way of doing it.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote