Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #1
redwolf
Bat Boy

Thanked 3x in 1 post
newbie question about positions

Just played the demo a bit.

Is there a statistical penalty, like an increase in the chance of committing errors, for using in left field a player whose position is RF?

How about viceversa (using a LF in right field) ?

Is there such a thing as secondary positions for a player (for instance a 3B who can also play 1B)? How do I see a player's secondary positions? Is there such a thing as utility players?

Thank you.
redwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:09 AM   #2
Isryion
Major Leagues

Thanked 52x in 37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf View Post
Just played the demo a bit.

Is there a statistical penalty, like an increase in the chance of committing errors, for using in left field a player whose position is RF?

How about viceversa (using a LF in right field) ?

Is there such a thing as secondary positions for a player (for instance a 3B who can also play 1B)? How do I see a player's secondary positions? Is there such a thing as utility players?

Thank you.
The basic answer is yes. Players with no experience (which is part if their fielding rating at a position) will not be very good until they get experience, provided they have the basic skills to play a position well (range for Cf, for example), in which case they will never be any good at a particular position.

You can see their ratings at different positions by viewing their profile. You can't see it for multiple players in the roster screen by selection the fielding ratings drop down.

Last edited by Isryion; 01-22-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Isryion is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
redwolf (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 AM   #3
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,929x in 1,342 posts
A player's profile page will have all his positions listed. See the attached screenshot. His "primary" position would simply be the one he's rated highest in. He'll gain experience (up to a cap) if you play him at any other position, and as long as he's got high enough numbers in the necessary Fielding Ratings, he'll eventually become rated at that position.
Attached Images
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
redwolf (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
farmkidD2
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 24x in 13 posts
Those guys basically nailed it, but for a more detailed explanation, refer to the manual.

Out of the Park Baseball Manual; Player Positions and Roles

That is probably my most used bookmark.
farmkidD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
redwolf (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,763x in 2,135 posts
Well, LF and RF are not that different to have a significant penalty for inexperience. Putting a LF or RF in CF without experience would be a problem, though.

The things to remember about LF and RF which may be important are:
  • LF usually is the better fielder merely because LF will get more plays as most batters are right-handed and pull the ball.
  • RF usually has the stronger arm because he must throw the ball to 3B often. The LF rarely needs to throw to 1B.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,072x in 2,453 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Well, LF and RF are not that different to have a significant penalty for inexperience. Putting a LF or RF in CF without experience would be a problem, though.

The things to remember about LF and RF which may be important are:
  • LF usually is the better fielder merely because LF will get more plays as most batters are right-handed and pull the ball.
  • RF usually has the stronger arm because he must throw the ball to 3B often. The LF rarely needs to throw to 1B.
I slightly disagree. There have been many cases of 1B and C being placed in LF because they dont need to do much out there. Ryan Klesko, Yogi Berra & Elsston Howard are the 1st 3 that came to mind. My LF who has good range is a 5 LF 4 Arm in LF. My RF has a 8 Arm 6 RF. Both clones of real players.
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

Congrats Harold Baines

"Stay Strong"
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,763x in 2,135 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I slightly disagree. There have been many cases of 1B and C being placed in LF because they dont need to do much out there. Ryan Klesko, Yogi Berra & Elsston Howard are the 1st 3 that came to mind. My LF who has good range is a 5 LF 4 Arm in LF. My RF has a 8 Arm 6 RF. Both clones of real players.
Well, there are always exceptions, of course, and keep in mind that the question was basically about the interchangeability of LF and RF, not LF and 1B and C. I was pointing out that, everything else being equal, I think LF gets more plays than RF and so should be the better OF if a choice must be made. RF, on the other hand, does better if he has a good arm.

One thing that resonates with me is the recollection of guys like Berra and Howard in LF and you are correct in that; you saw that kind of thing much more before the DH and they did tend to end up in LF rather than RF. Maybe because of the strong RF arm thing that I mentioned.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
The Game (01-24-2014)