Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 12-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
le receveur
All Star Starter

Thanked 1,049x in 670 posts
Best Setting to remove FA effect

(posting in Beginner since i think this might be of interest)

I would love to reproduce an environment where the owners have the control of the players for as long as they want, so that turn-around is through drafting and finding undervalued guys...

and not sure what the best setting would be without messing the league. do i just move free agency to 20 years, and no arbitration?

would love input....
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 5,174x in 3,162 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
(posting in Beginner since i think this might be of interest)

I would love to reproduce an environment where the owners have the control of the players for as long as they want, so that turn-around is through drafting and finding undervalued guys...

and not sure what the best setting would be without messing the league. do i just move free agency to 20 years, and no arbitration?

would love input....
I believe there is a reserve clause setting in the rules tab. Should be perfect for what you want.

RichW

"We're supposed to stand up to discrimination, and we're sure as heck supposed to stand up clearly and unequivocally to Nazi sympathizers. How hard can that be, saying that Nazis are bad?"

So much for personality. Albert Belle, a complete nut job was never traded and was the highest paid player in the game, twice!

#Alternativefacts=lies
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
le receveur (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,412x in 2,293 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Yes, the reserve clause option should work great for you.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
le receveur (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
le receveur
All Star Starter

thanks. i`ll look into this.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,576x in 2,160 posts
You can also just disable Free Agency.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,930x in 986 posts
If you disable free agency and don't enable reserve clause rules, what happens? Does everyone just get a guaranteed one-year contract?
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
If you disable free agency and don't enable reserve clause rules, what happens? Does everyone just get a guaranteed one-year contract?
this is what i was afraid, and why i asked what the best way would be.

extra-question: i assume any non drafted college guy goes to FA tab still, correct?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
jhart05
Major Leagues

Thanked 35x in 24 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
this is what i was afraid, and why i asked what the best way would be.

extra-question: i assume any non drafted college guy goes to FA tab still, correct?

Curious to know what you found works best for your FA question.
jhart05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart05 View Post
Curious to know what you found works best for your FA question.
the reserve clause seems to work well to keep player. still not sure what the best setting to allow long term contract is. currently trying only superstars, mainly to help AI from locking itself, but still offer players some options. not sure...

my problem so far, is that when a better option seem to exist without a contract, no one seems to offer him one... but I have to let it run a bit longer to see. only 5 years in, and testing a bunch of thing at the same time...
Old 01-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Thanked 315x in 173 posts
From what I have seen with the reserve clause in playing many historical games, the teams will pretty much hold onto the players unless they clearly can't play - I've seen a few guys get waived for no reason but not many. So you don't really have to worry about the long term contracts, they will pretty much be long term. Now you do have to keep a close eye on the trade settings as the teams do like a lot of trades.

Pretty sure there's not much of a better option for what you want currently in game.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
le receveur
All Star Starter

thanks. it's looking ok so far, 6 seasons of sim.. i did have to lower the trading to lowest, and yes it is still really frequent.

still tracking the major released players to see if they are finding a home. still think some situations are too long, purely based on scout ratings- i might actually take over a team for a while to see if it's demand driven...