Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team is LIVE!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #1
itsmb8
Major Leagues

Thanked 214x in 113 posts
Running Leagues like Football Manager

Something I'd like to see added to OOTP is the ability to run leagues such as Japan, Korea, etc. so we can scout players from those areas and see stats from those players, but not actually have them playable. It would (probably) keep your system from getting overworked but at the same time allow you to have real stats available to you whenever, instead of having random players generated.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
5 thanks for this post:
Cryomaniac (12-12-2017), metsguy234 (12-17-2017), One Post Wonder (12-21-2017), PSUColonel (12-27-2017), Supermercado (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 01:11 AM   #2
Supermercado
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 45x in 21 posts
While taking ideas from FM, the news system in OOTP needs a dramatic overhaul. FM has got it right in letting you opt in or out of almost any piece of news, rather than the handful of categories in OOTP.

For instance I turn off game achievement news because I don't care about shutouts, but would want to be told of a no hitter or three HR game. Others may want to know about cycles, 10K etc... Closest you'll ever get to keeping everyone happy!
Supermercado is offline   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
Eugene Church (12-29-2017), itsmb8 (12-25-2017), PSUColonel (12-27-2017), spartacus007 (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
One Post Wonder
Major Leagues

Thanked 211x in 117 posts
If we're going to do that then the heck with Japan and Korea - it would be perfect for feeder leagues.

You could actually have a pool of several thousand high-school players and pick individuals/areas to scout. It would be a lot more realistic.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
itsmb8 (12-25-2017), PSUColonel (12-27-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,988x in 1,306 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermercado View Post
While taking ideas from FM, the news system in OOTP needs a dramatic overhaul. FM has got it right in letting you opt in or out of almost any piece of news, rather than the handful of categories in OOTP.

For instance I turn off game achievement news because I don't care about shutouts, but would want to be told of a no hitter or three HR game. Others may want to know about cycles, 10K etc... Closest you'll ever get to keeping everyone happy!
The News really needs some work in OOTPB... the game recaps will highlight the player of the game and his team lost... too often the recaps are written from the wrong prospective.

They need to watch the use of any adjectives in the recaps... many times they will say Jones had a great game and he went 1 for 3 with a grand slam homer... not exactly a great game.

I have never had FM, but their news reports were praised by the OOTPB Community in 2006... and I'm sure it is much better 10 years later.

I was on the Beta team for 4-5 years and spent much of my time trying to expand each of the News Categories so they didn't repeat the same stories over and over and ad nauseam... for example in OOTP6.5, there were only five different shutout news stories... there is usually about 200 shutouts a year in MLB... when you only have five news stories, the endless repetition really gets bad.

I went in and did at least 100 different shutout stories just so I wouldn't see the same five over and over... there were many News Categories like that... and sadly it's still the case today... not enough variety in the News Categories.

Fortunately, I write all of my game recaps, so I can avoid the poorly-done game recaps.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 12-30-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
andyhdz
All Star Reserve

Thanked 301x in 171 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8 View Post
Something I'd like to see added to OOTP is the ability to run leagues such as Japan, Korea, etc. so we can scout players from those areas and see stats from those players, but not actually have them playable. It would (probably) keep your system from getting overworked but at the same time allow you to have real stats available to you whenever, instead of having random players generated.
What do you mean? Right now you can create an MLB universe and add 8 international leagues and several indy leagues that accomplish what you are saying. You run your own league and all these leagues run as well.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
SirMichaelJordan
All Star Starter

Thanked 852x in 520 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
What do you mean? Right now you can create an MLB universe and add 8 international leagues and several indy leagues that accomplish what you are saying. You run your own league and all these leagues run as well.

He means have them run in background similar to FHM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
thehef
All Star Starter

Thanked 457x in 286 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
... the game recaps will highlight the player of the game and his team lost... too often the recaps are written from the wrong prospective.
Yep, this ^

Two adjustments would be a great start:

1) Lessen the frequency of POG being on the losing team. Generally, it should only occur when, for example, a guy on the losing team goes 4-for-5 with 2 dingers and 6 RBI, and nobody on the winning team had a standout game. If, for example, a guy on the winning team goes 1-for-5 with three K's, but that one his is a walk-off three-run homer, I'm inclined to give him POG honors - regardless of what anybody did on the losing team - and would highlight that first.

2) When the POG is on the losing team, bring it up in the last paragraph of the recap, and both the headline and the bulk of the recap should instead focus on what happened to cause the winning team to win the game.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #8
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,020x in 652 posts
Quote:
The News really needs some work in OOTPB... the game recaps will highlight the player of the game and his team lost... too often the recaps are written from the wrong prospective.
and why are they called "Star players" resign or when free agents sign? they are at best bench players .... .225 hitters, or pitchers with era 5.06 with a record of 5 wins -12 loses. Those are not star players in my game. if those type of players are essential "pieces to our championship puzzle" that team needs a new GM, me thinks.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 01-05-2018 at 09:42 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
metsguy234 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #9
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,949x in 1,136 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
this is debatable,,,many rules, staff and some other things aren't quite where they could be yet.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
itsmb8
Major Leagues

Thanked 214x in 113 posts
Yeah, what I mean by this is just to have them ran in the background.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #11
thehef
All Star Starter

Thanked 457x in 286 posts
Quote:
... the game recaps will highlight the player of the game and his team lost... too often the recaps are written from the wrong prospective.[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Two adjustments would be a great start:

1) Lessen the frequency of POG being on the losing team. Generally, it should only occur when, for example, a guy on the losing team goes 4-for-5 with 2 dingers and 6 RBI, and nobody on the winning team had a standout game. If, for example, a guy on the winning team goes 1-for-5 with three K's, but that one his is a walk-off three-run homer, I'm inclined to give him POG honors - regardless of what anybody did on the losing team - and would highlight that first.

2) When the POG is on the losing team, bring it up in the last paragraph of the recap, and both the headline and the bulk of the recap should instead focus on what happened to cause the winning team to win the game.
I'll also notice where the player of the game is mostly inconsequential - in other words, while he had a decent game, what he accomplished is far from the top three or four stories of the game - and yet the first paragraph of the recap will note that he was POG. Then in another game, the POG will be significant but the fact that he was POG won't be mentioned. Examples, in back to back games in a '65 historical sim:

a) Koufax goes 7 innings in a less-than-dominating performance (8 hits, four walks, four runs, 7 K's) but gets the win in a see-saw game that sees Andy Carey drive in some key runs for LA (including the winner in the bottom of the eight) and Ron Perranoski escape a jam in the top of the ninth. While all three players (Koufax, Carey, and Perranoski) are mentioned in the recap, the 1st para highlights that Koufax was POG.

b) Billy Williams smacks a three-run homer in the top of the 1st, and then in the 11th blasts his second homer that ends up wining the game. Williams' stats are (rightly) noted in the first paragraph, but it's not even mentioned that he was POG.

I, for one, am not particularly concerned about POG even being mentioned. As far as I'm concerned, POG is not significant in regular-season games. (IRL, POG for a regular-season game is typically a sponsor-driven type of thing that isn't mentioned until deep into the radio post-game show), so if there's never (or rarely) a mention of POG, I wouldn't care. That said, if POG of the game is going to be a regular part of OOTP, may as well tweak & improve it...

So, in addition to the two adjustments noted in the second quote above, maybe a third one could be added:

3) "if [number that is calculated to determine POG] is < X, then do not mention that Joe Schmoe was the POG in recap." The recap could still mention Schmoe where appropriate, but it wouldn't need to specifically reference that Schmoe was POG... Something like that...

Last edited by thehef; 01-08-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: clarity
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote