Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 18.8.76 Update Available - OOTP 18 Available - FHM 4 Available - MLB Manager 2017 Available Now

Offseason Discount: OOTP Baseball 18 is 50% Off!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-17-2017, 01:31 AM   #1
bigd51
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Tone down first name frequency's, maybe?

I'm not sure how accurate the first_name files are to real life, but it seems like you guys go way overboard in some areas.

For instance, in the Hispanic ID's, you have Juan frequency's set to 6,000 and Luis set to 10,000. This is generating way too many players in my league named Juan and Luis 10 years in. In year 9, the international FA list included 29 players total. 21 of these 29 players were named either Juan or Luis.

I recently did a search for all players in my league named Juan and Luis. Of the 12,985 players of every nationality combined in my current database, I found:

- 1,100 named Juan
- 814 named Luis

Which brings the total to 1,914 players named Juan and Luis. And that's not even including the one's who've retired named Juan and Luis.

Roughly 1 out of every 6 active players in my league right now, regardless of nationality, are named Juan and Luis (if it's even the slightest bit annoying how often I'm saying Juan and Luis in this post, imagine how grating it is for me to see a player named Juan and Luis pop up in my game).

This is just for Hispanic ID's, but I've noticed ridiculously high frequency's set in other ID's as well. I mean, I get these are common names in relation to nationality, but 10,000? Why the need to go that high when the vast majority of name frequency's are set to 1?
bigd51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,501x in 762 posts
Well, Juan and Luis are really popular names.

But luckily for you there's something that you can do about it. Go into the first_names.txt file and edit the name frequencies yourself, then reload the names files in OOTP. You may have to restart the game to get the edited names to load, but once you've done that you're all set.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
bigd51
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Well, Juan and Luis are really popular names.

But luckily for you there's something that you can do about it. Go into the first_names.txt file and edit the name frequencies yourself, then reload the names files in OOTP. You may have to restart the game to get the edited names to load, but once you've done that you're all set.
I did. Changed the Hispanic ID's to a max of 10 frequency and re-imported the name database, which corrected it.

I know they're popular, but man, there were just sooo many haha. Still think 10,000 frequency's a bit overkill.
bigd51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Version 18 introduced new names databases, which meant that frequencies changed as well. In previous versions, Juan and Luis had frequencies of 1550 and 975 respectively. Now they're at 6481 and 4667. I'm not sure if the new name frequencies are more accurate or what they're based on - I've never seen a reference to the sources used for the new names.

If you have earlier versions of OOTP, you can just swap out the new first-name files in favor of the old. You'll end up losing a few names at the bottom of the scale (goodbye Lobo and Kiko), and you'll still get a lot of Juans and Luises, but not as many as with the new files.
Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (01-13-2018)
Old 12-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,224x in 780 posts
I can definitely see a few changes to the name files, even if it would result in fewer Juans than in real life, because the Juan overload is too grating.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

I did a quick spreadsheet, inputting the names of all 707 Dominican players who, according to BBRef, have played in the majors. 31 (4.3%) were named Juan and 25 (3.5%) were named Luis. Of the 376 major leaguers born in Venezuela, 5 (1.3%) were named Juan and 18 (4.7%) were named Luis.

Now, that doesn't account for all the Hispanic players in the majors, nor does it include all of those in organized baseball. Still, if something like 17% of your players are named either Juan or Luis, that sounds like a problem. Either the name frequencies are off, or else the game isn't creating names properly.

I'm not aware of any source that has a breakdown of names for Latin American countries, so I can't tell if the frequencies are accurate or not. If the game is calculating names properly, the most common name shouldn't be Juan or Luis, it should be Jose, which has a frequency of 10809. So there should be about 50% more Joses than Juans and about twice as many as Luises. Is that what you're seeing?
Thank you for this post:
Cryomaniac (01-13-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
Rosco Peabody
Major Leagues

Thanked 150x in 100 posts
I had this issue as well. In my fictional league, I like to be able to read a player's name and know exactly who it is. I found I had way too many "J. Rodriguez" or "L. Martinez" or many others. I just decided my OOTP playing for one night meant going through the United States and Hispanic databases and editing the number down below 500.

I don't know if there's a better way to do it, but here's hoping that it works for me.

I also went through the top prospects for my league and if there was a last name that was repeated too many times, then I just manually edited his name
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #8
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,004x in 677 posts
I'm wondering if the name frequency code is just borked full stop, based on this issue I posted, as well:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=283539

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote