Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.5.52 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special: Save 50% on OOTP 20!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Which does the better job of putting you in the manager's chair?, which has the better all around AI
OOTP 14 67 54.47%
Football Manager 2013 56 45.53%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,396
Thanks: 4,409
Thanked 4,398x in 2,290 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Yes, this is the same sentiment I have. I find myself wishing OOTP was on the level of FM, (as if it were I would never leave the house again) but the reality of the situation is, it just isn't. A few versions ago I may have argued differently, but I just feel like FM has really made some long strides over the last couple of versions. It has streamlined everything, filled in the holes, and built on top of solid foundations. OOTP has made some strong steps also, but I just don't feel it measures up to the same quality FM does. I'm not really sure it's ever going to either. I keep telling myself it will someday, but the reality of it is, I don't think it will. It may keep making strides, but it feels like SI will always be ahead of the curve regardless. It also appears to me that Markus doesn't really want to create the same type of detail modeled in FM...why can't say that definitively, but it just seems that way to me. I hope I am wrong.
I'm clueless when it comes to soccer so FM would never be my cup of tea. I do have a question about it though. Does anyone play it simply for the love of the game soccer, or is strictly a management sim? The beauty of OOTP is the fact that the game of baseball is still it's number one focus. If one doesn't want to be the next Dave Dombrowski they can still get wrapped up in all the great numbers and memories the game creates.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
RchW (09-04-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,073
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,339
Thanked 2,115x in 1,205 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I'm clueless when it comes to soccer so FM would never be my cup of tea. I do have a question about it though. Does anyone play it simply for the love of the game soccer, or is strictly a management sim? The beauty of OOTP is the fact that the game of baseball is still it's number one focus. If one doesn't want to be the next Dave Dombrowski they can still get wrapped up in all the great numbers and memories the game creates.
It's not a matter of which sport you prefer...it's about which really puts you in the manager's chair. I too know much more about baseball over futbol, however after having played FM and reading and watching tutorials, I feel I am gaining knowledge everyday, and in doing so, realizing the stark contrast between the two. After gaining a certain amount of "know-how" in FM, you begin to realize how naked OOTP really is.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #23
Nunyer
All Star Reserve
 
Nunyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baseball Ned Flanders stares into your soul...
Posts: 593
Thanks: 74
Thanked 179x in 102 posts
Well, it all depends what you want out of the game. FM is a much more structured and polished management sim... I don't think anybody familiar with both games would argue that. That said, OOTP is much more of an open ended sandbox where you can create all kinds of fictional and historical leagues... run them for decades or centuries

One game brings a bunch of great apples to market... the other brings a bunch of great oranges.
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Basebrah (08-22-2013), jaysdailydose (10-07-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve
 
MUFC1878's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 684
Thanks: 472
Thanked 764x in 359 posts
I know a bit more about football than I know about baseball. I follow it more closely. But I can't enjoy FM as much as I do OOTP. I still like it very much, but I wouldn't call it very realistic. All the things people go on about--press interaction, training, etc--I just find them tedious.
The tactics are still clumsy. The stats are way over the top. Your captain, a product of your team's academy, wins all sorts of silverware but never becomes a club legend because he's a fullback and the game only acknowledges goals and assists? Right.

Plus it's too easy, even playing LLM. The only appeal of the game, for me, is playing as United and trying a build a squad with academy players and only UK and Irish signings.

But last I played was '11. I bought '13 and haven't got into it yet. Started a game and it just seemed like it was more of the same.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
RchW (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #25
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve
 
MUFC1878's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 684
Thanks: 472
Thanked 764x in 359 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
After gaining a certain amount of "know-how" in FM, you begin to realize how naked OOTP really is.
That's how I felt about FM after playing OOTP. I think the customization options did it for me.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments
 
Lukas Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Nice, Côte d'Azur, France
Posts: 11,978
Thanks: 18,841
Thanked 8,768x in 4,411 posts
Shocked at the poll results. I'm second to none in my love for OOTP, and in fact spend far more time modding for OOTP than for FM and far more time hanging out here than at SI, though maybe more time playing FM.

But even given all that, it's not a contest. FM wins going away. It's like comparing the Red Bull or Ferrari F1 car to, I dunno, a Ferrari GT car or something. The GT car is better and faster than 99.99% of all the cars in existence, but it can't even begin to match the F1 car. In fact the two aren't even in the same league.

OOTP is easily in the top five games I've ever played. And is better than every sports sim made. Except one, which just happens to be pretty much the perfect game. FM.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-22-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Basebrah (08-22-2013), Qrusher14242 (10-16-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #27
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,073
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,339
Thanked 2,115x in 1,205 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyer View Post
Well, it all depends what you want out of the game. FM is a much more structured and polished management sim... I don't think anybody familiar with both games would argue that. That said, OOTP is much more of an open ended sandbox where you can create all kinds of fictional and historical leagues... run them for decades or centuries

One game brings a bunch of great apples to market... the other brings a bunch of great oranges.
If you are someone who just wants to play a modern day league (MLB or say MLS), and be the Manager/General Manager, which puts you in the chair? That's really my question I guess.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #28
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,073
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,339
Thanked 2,115x in 1,205 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC1878 View Post
I know a bit more about football than I know about baseball. I follow it more closely. But I can't enjoy FM as much as I do OOTP. I still like it very much, but I wouldn't call it very realistic. All the things people go on about--press interaction, training, etc--I just find them tedious.
The tactics are still clumsy. The stats are way over the top. Your captain, a product of your team's academy, wins all sorts of silverware but never becomes a club legend because he's a fullback and the game only acknowledges goals and assists? Right.

Plus it's too easy, even playing LLM. The only appeal of the game, for me, is playing as United and trying a build a squad with academy players and only UK and Irish signings.

But last I played was '11. I bought '13 and haven't got into it yet. Started a game and it just seemed like it was more of the same.


The whole point of this thread was to compare the newest versions since then. FM 13 and OOTP 14 have both grown quite a bit since then. If you are not up on the current versions, your points are moot I'm afraid.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #29
Cras
Hall Of Famer
 
Cras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LEO
Posts: 3,789
Thanks: 587
Thanked 452x in 263 posts
Yeah it really does take different moods for me to play one or the other, they satisfy different cravings I guess. I love that my OOTP league spans many years, I can go from season to season with relative quickness and have more control over the league in mid stream.

FM tho, that really puts you in the chair of running a club. Not even that, but running an organization. The newest version you can re-structure the club, create positions and choose what they are in charge of, or you can just fire everyone and run the whole dang operation yourself.
__________________
The Chicago White Sox
1906, 1917, 2005 World Series Champions
1900, 1901, 1906, 1917, 1919, 1959, 2005 American League Champions
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #30
mrking81012
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 68
Thanks: 22
Thanked 5x in 4 posts
For me FM is probably a more complete sim HOWEVER ootp wins for me easily. Why?

Online leagues.

FM lacks big time when it comes to this. ootp you can have a full 30 team leauge all with humans trading and doing FA/Draft, etc. In FM you're lucky to get a few people before the game slows down. And they need to be online at the same time to play (no export option). For me this is a deal breaker.
mrking81012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #31
Zorro
Hall Of Famer
 
Zorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,763
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks: 2,798
Thanked 1,216x in 895 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan26 View Post
oh look. Another thread where people are mad at each other.
roflmao.........................................z
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #32
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,396
Thanks: 4,409
Thanked 4,398x in 2,290 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
If you are someone who just wants to play a modern day league (MLB or say MLS), and be the Manager/General Manager, which puts you in the chair? That's really my question I guess.
Would anyone that's not interested in being a manager/gm play FM? For example...Dreamteams-Metro Leagues. Eugene Church Ruthlandia/TyCobbia I know this expands on your question, but so be it.

Last edited by David Watts; 08-22-2013 at 05:49 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #33
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,073
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,339
Thanked 2,115x in 1,205 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Would anyone that's not interested in being a manager/gm play FM? For example...Dreamteams-Metro Leagues. Eugene Church Ruthlandia/TyCobbia
I would think not, but they might OOTP...and I guess the real question is: why is that?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #34
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,396
Thanks: 4,409
Thanked 4,398x in 2,290 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I would think not, but they might OOTP...and I guess the real question is: why is that?
Could have something to do with baseball in general. More of numbers game.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #35
Tekneek
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 450
Thanks: 77
Thanked 36x in 26 posts
OOTP wins me with the customization and historical options.

I find FM to be much more immersive, but the difficulty in making any changes to it has always been a bit of a negative.

They're both excellent at what they do and definite leaders. I wish the options for some other sports were able to give a similar experience (but I find that none of them match up favorably at the moment). The cricket one might be the closest.

The online league portion is the hidden gem that nobody else competes with. FOF is about the best competitor when it comes to the multiplayer experience, but it is definitely an underserved part of the genre.

Last edited by Tekneek; 08-22-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #36
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,073
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,339
Thanked 2,115x in 1,205 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Shocked at the poll results. I'm second to none in my love for OOTP, and in fact spend far more time modding for OOTP than for FM and far more time hanging out here than at SI, though maybe more time playing FM.

But even given all that, it's not a contest. FM wins going away. It's like comparing the Red Bull or Ferrari F1 car to, I dunno, a Ferrari GT car or something. The GT car is better and faster than 99.99% of all the cars in existence, but it can't even begin to match the F1 car. In fact the two aren't even in the same league.

OOTP is easily in the top five games I've ever played. And is better than every sports sim made. Except one, which just happens to be pretty much the perfect game. FM.

I'm not totally shocked, a lot of people here are biased, and not always objective, and/or they haven't actually played the latest editions of both extensively.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #37
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer
 
damientheomen3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: with my army of orangutans
Posts: 2,641
Thanks: 1,230
Thanked 607x in 375 posts
FM succeeds at what it tries to set out to do because it focuses on one aspect: real life modern day. OOTP can do that, fictional and historical very well, while FM succeeds greatly at modern day real life, is a nightmare to play fictionally and (as far as I know) has no historical play. But my main gripe with the game is the size of it; it's just all way too big to get into and even in the one or two times I HAVE been able to get into it, it just felt too much like work and not enough like fun. To each their own, but to me OOTP has just enough size to be fun while FM is tunneled into one type of play and goes too far to have fun with. But it's still a good enough series to get me to try every year, even if I usually only end up putting about 15-25 hours into it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by axezzy View Post
spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
You see, this guy here, he is that guy. Don't be that guy.


Join the VHL today!
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #38
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer
 
damientheomen3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: with my army of orangutans
Posts: 2,641
Thanks: 1,230
Thanked 607x in 375 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I'm not totally shocked, a lot of people here are biased, and not always objective, and/or they haven't actually played the latest editions of both extensively.
Well every time you try to make this poll, you word it or construe it in some way that favors FM (this poll asks for preference for a general question and FM's greatest strength), so maybe you shouldn't be crying foul about bias.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by axezzy View Post
spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
You see, this guy here, he is that guy. Don't be that guy.


Join the VHL today!
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
D-BacksJosh (08-22-2013), nebradska (08-22-2013), RchW (09-04-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #39
D-BacksJosh
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 875
Thanks: 505
Thanked 399x in 237 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I'm not totally shocked, a lot of people here are biased, and not always objective, and/or they haven't actually played the latest editions of both extensively.
Well, it is the OOTP forum after all, I am sure the poll results would be the exact opposite if placed on a Football Manager 2013 forum.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
SirMichaelJordan (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #40
SirMichaelJordan
All Star Starter
 
SirMichaelJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,857
Thanks: 1,879
Thanked 889x in 538 posts
OOTP vs. FM Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
FM succeeds at what it tries to set out to do because it focuses on one aspect: real life modern day. OOTP can do that, fictional and historical very well, while FM succeeds greatly at modern day real life, is a nightmare to play fictionally and (as far as I know) has no historical play. But my main gripe with the game is the size of it; it's just all way too big to get into and even in the one or two times I HAVE been able to get into it, it just felt too much like work and not enough like fun. To each their own, but to me OOTP has just enough size to be fun while FM is tunneled into one type of play and goes too far to have fun with. But it's still a good enough series to get me to try every year, even if I usually only end up putting about 15-25 hours into it.
You can make the game as small as you like it especially with the classic mode.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments