Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
Broth32
Major Leagues

Thanked 11x in 9 posts
Why I haven't purchased OOTP2007

I only play OOTP with "current real rosters" and the reason why I have yet to purchase OOTP because there is no d/l for current day rosters. Why doesn't Markus release the game to a few roster makers so they have months before the release to get them done?

Please don't flame this - it's just a simple question...
Broth32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
tward13
All Star Starter

Thanked 375x in 206 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broth32 View Post
I only play OOTP with "current real rosters" and the reason why I have yet to purchase OOTP because there is no d/l for current day rosters. Why doesn't Markus release the game to a few roster makers so they have months before the release to get them done?

That has been answered before, if you look around.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 6,025x in 2,157 posts

Sorry, I've just always wanted to use this one.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Networkingguru
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:

Actually, I believe some of the BT's were roster makers. Regardless, there are at least two MLB quickstarts out, MLB2.0 (what I am playing now), and Real World Baseball. Neither are polished, but I know for sure MLB2.0 works. Granted, it's opening day 2006, but it works, and it has the real players.
Networkingguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
plannine
All Star Reserve

Thanked 14x in 13 posts
I've never understood the fixation with supposed current rosters.
Your using past stats for your current player profiles........or are you updating players rotisserie style.
Yesterday a 'current' roster included Kenny Rogers, today i guess he's off........
Rocket Roger's not hurt - he could pitch, but he's not signed. When is he 'current'.

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but to me 'current' of OOTP is the day the last season finished.

[if anyone feels that this is way off base for this post - please delete the post]

Last edited by plannine; 04-05-2007 at 10:07 AM.
plannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 6,025x in 2,157 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I've never understood the fixation with supposed current rosters.
Your using past stats for your current player profiles........or are you updating players rotisserie style.
Yesterday a 'current' roster included Kenny Rogers, today i guess he's off........
Rocket Roger's not hurt - he could pitch, but he's not signed. When is he 'current'.

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but to me 'current' of OOTP is the day the last season finished.

[if anyone feels that this is way off base for this post - please delete the post]
No, I agree.

What's current today (especially if you want real Minors) will most definitely not be current tomorrow (especially if you sim a day in the game)

This is the reason I've been completely converted to the fictional world of my dreams. No pre-conceived notions, and just plain fun is all that it is. This is a big reason why, when I create uniforms, I mostly like to stick with fictional so that I don't have to be told that they "should" be this way or that way.

My hat goes off to the roster makers who have been dealt a lot of grief by the impatient few, and to most on this board who have been patiently waiting for the latest rosters. I know you will be happy when you get them!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Exodor
Major Leagues

Thanked 45x in 21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Networkingguru View Post
I know for sure MLB2.0 works. Granted, it's opening day 2006, but it works, and it has the real players.

Do you have a link? I checked Padresfan's site but didn't see 'em.

Thanks!
Exodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Networkingguru
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodor View Post
Do you have a link? I checked Padresfan's site but didn't see 'em.

Thanks!
http://www.ootpmodsquad.com/
Networkingguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Exodor
Major Leagues

Thanked 45x in 21 posts
Thanks!

But when I try to open the MLB2007 roster set from that site I get this error message very time.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
mh2365
Banned

Thanked 5x in 5 posts
Infractions: 0/2 (101)
I really only like playing with current rosters also. Historical doesn't really do much for me and like someone else said. It's easier to get used to fictional players when they are coming in each year, rather than getting familiar with 2000 all at once. But that said ... I have started playing from 1958 and am enjoying more than I used to.

Just wanted to say I never got the arguement that "in 15 years all your players will be fictional anyways" ... it really doesn't make any sense because by that time you will have had 15 years to get to know them. I get lost when I try to start a fictional dynasty, just can't seem to care about the players on my team.

I care about real players and I learn to care about fictional ones I draft .. just don't when I have 50 right off the bat that I have no clue about.
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
The Outlaw
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Mlb2007...

The roster set named MLB2007 is missing the world.dat file so it is unable to be imported into 2007, not sure why it's missing...
The Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #12
Exodor
Major Leagues

Thanked 45x in 21 posts
Quote:
Thanks!

But when I try to open the MLB2007 roster set from that site I get this error message very time.
Got them to work - turns out that roster file is for OOTP6.5.

I had to open them in 6.5, advance to opening day, then import into 2007.

They're only updated through the middle of November so the free agent pool is full of free agents, and they only have the major league 25 man rosters.

But they'll do for now!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
plannine
All Star Reserve

Thanked 14x in 13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2365 View Post
I really only like playing with current rosters also. Historical doesn't really do much for me and like someone else said. It's easier to get used to fictional players when they are coming in each year, rather than getting familiar with 2000 all at once. But that said ... I have started playing from 1958 and am enjoying more than I used to.
But if you start with, let say 1905, most of the players will be (to you) historical in name only. A few you will know (sit down and watch Ken Burn's Baseball Documentary), and in a few years, you will start to look up others, to see if their OOTP history matches their real-life history. If you want, generate a few 'new' players to see how well the two worlds mix. (every 20 years i generate a Z.Adams to my leagues, just to see how well he will do).

I know I play OOTP cause there is a bit of 'fictional baseball history' in my blood. But I also play other re-play type games (Apba/Strat/Re-Play Baseball)

[note: i'm in a Apba computer leagues that migrated from the dice game, that has been together for 25 years, and a Apba dice league that i have been in since the early 70's]

Last edited by plannine; 04-05-2007 at 12:21 PM.
plannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #14
kq76
Global Moderator

Thanked 939x in 528 posts
Quote:

Do they even really need the game that far in advance though? How does one actually go about creating a roster? Do they actually make their own guesses of how good a player will be this year or do they just take last year's stats and run them through an excel formula to get OOTP ratings? If it's the latter, I imagine the most time-consuming part would just be making sure all the players are on their correct new teams and I'm sure you could do that in a csv file and import it later, no? Of course some moves would have to be done the closer to opening day, but a lot of players could be moved early. Either way, couldn't a lot of work be done before they get the new game? I'm not flaming. I honestly don't know the process.

kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
APujols5
Banned

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Infractions: 1/3 (3)
Well Erich has over 700 hours in and I have about 200 in and the file still isn't ready. So you take it from there kq76 and you'll probably see it's not that easy.
APujols5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #16
kq76
Global Moderator

Thanked 939x in 528 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by APujols5 View Post
Well Erich has over 700 hours in and I have about 200 in and the file still isn't ready. So you take it from there kq76 and you'll probably see it's not that easy.
# of hours means nothing to me. I know too many people who do things the long way. Maybe if you told us how you do things we could come up with suggestions of how you could possibly do it faster. Even though I don't use these rosters, I wouldn't mind at least putting my thinking cap on to try to help come up with a more automated process. I'm sure I'm not the only one. And if how long it takes really can't be helped then maybe with the realization of what it takes more people will offer to do whatever work you're willing to give them.

kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #17
mh2365
Banned

Thanked 5x in 5 posts
Infractions: 0/2 (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
But if you start with, let say 1905, most of the players will be (to you) historical in name only. A few you will know (sit down and watch Ken Burn's Baseball Documentary), and in a few years, you will start to look up others, to see if their OOTP history matches their real-life history. If you want, generate a few 'new' players to see how well the two worlds mix. (every 20 years i generate a Z.Adams to my leagues, just to see how well he will do).

I know I play OOTP cause there is a bit of 'fictional baseball history' in my blood. But I also play other re-play type games (Apba/Strat/Re-Play Baseball)

[note: i'm in a Apba computer leagues that migrated from the dice game, that has been together for 25 years, and a Apba dice league that i have been in since the early 70's]
Yeah I agree starting in 1958 when Ted Williams was still active and before Yaz came in has helped .. I seem to know a lot of the names and the ones I don't I love having the real life stats right there on the player card.

I know down in TBCB I started in 1901 and am loving it. So maybe the historical will grow on my here to. The main thing I can't do is start a purely fictional league.
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
Queensryche
Major Leagues

Thanked 9x in 6 posts
Think about just how hard making a current roster would be. Every player,from every single team in the league,all the way down to rookie ball. You have to edit each stat,plop in their career numbers properly,put their contracts in,put their age/weight/etc in. Then you finished ONE PERSON.

It would seem that you would have to work on this for 6 months or more before you could release a proper set. So I understand why there is no roster. I'm a little disapointed,because I like to start my career with real rosters and watch players retire/etc,but I will accept using an old file since it doesn't look like a set will be coming out anytime soon.
Queensryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #19
Exodor
Major Leagues

Thanked 45x in 21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by APujols5 View Post
200 hours?

I'm Confused.

Quote:
Ok Folks here's where we are at, Erich Ingram, Rolen17 as some of you may know him, has sent me his first work for 2007. He's having some things going on today that has kept him from finishing the last couple steps

1) Transactions
2) a few minor things like team Colors.

SO I am going to be finishing those up today and releasing for him if he's still not around.

I'm willing to bet that if the roster was available to more than 2 people that plenty of folks would be willing to help update the transactions and fix the team colors.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #20
Queensryche
Major Leagues

Thanked 9x in 6 posts
Quote:
200 hours?

I'm Confused.

I'm willing to bet that if the roster was available to more than 2 people that plenty of folks would be willing to help update the transactions and fix the team colors.
Yeah I don't see the harm in just releasing it "as is" and just putting (Incomplete) next to the filename. People will know it's not totally finished and that would be okay,because when you download it,you accept that.
Queensryche is offline   Reply With Quote