Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.5.52 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special: Save 50% on OOTP 20!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
kcharles520
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 46
Thanks: 16
Thanked 11x in 8 posts
"Pitch to Contact" leading to unrealistic BB/9 stats

When my pitcher gets 3 ball counts I almost always use "Pitch to Contact." I figured it was a fair, viable strategy--give the opponent easier pitches to hit while slightly reducing the walk rate. Fair tradeoff right?

After 40+ games of using the strategy however, my team has a super low BB/9 compared to the rest of the league, w/ no big difference in batting average against or slugging. In other words, pitch to contact has proven TOO effective, even for pitchers w/ awful control ratings. (I also have an abysmal K/9 rate which bugs me as well.)

Just wanted to bring this up for anyone looking for realistic stats because the way it is coded, this is definitely unrealistic.
Attached Images
Image 
kcharles520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
Number4
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 460
Thanks: 44
Thanked 240x in 153 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcharles520 View Post
When my pitcher gets 3 ball counts I almost always use "Pitch to Contact." I figured it was a fair, viable strategy--give the opponent easier pitches to hit while slightly reducing the walk rate. Fair tradeoff right?

After 40+ games of using the strategy however, my team has a super low BB/9 compared to the rest of the league, w/ no big difference in batting average against or slugging. In other words, pitch to contact has proven TOO effective, even for pitchers w/ awful control ratings. (I also have an abysmal K/9 rate which bugs me as well.)

Just wanted to bring this up for anyone looking for realistic stats because the way it is coded, this is definitely unrealistic.
Significantly higher slugging though.
__________________
"Odor is now 2 for 5 today"
(Commentator, after Rougned Odor, up to then 1 for 4, punched Jose Bautista square in the face.)
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
kcharles520
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 46
Thanks: 16
Thanked 11x in 8 posts
Ehh slightly higher slugging
whereas the walk rate is greg maddux-like for my entire staff

i'm probably going to start over my franchise because this is triggering bad stat-OCD in me lol
kcharles520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
logjam (05-27-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
Number4
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 460
Thanks: 44
Thanked 240x in 153 posts
I don't think it's wrong, because every major league pitcher should be able to hit the strike zone if he aims just for it. However, one can argue that the opponents should hit and slug more than yours do.
__________________
"Odor is now 2 for 5 today"
(Commentator, after Rougned Odor, up to then 1 for 4, punched Jose Bautista square in the face.)
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Juust a bit outside...
Posts: 4,176
Thanks: 954
Thanked 2,087x in 1,211 posts
have you played out every game in pitch by pitch?
__________________
"Cannonball Coming!" Go Bucs!!
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Number4
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 460
Thanks: 44
Thanked 240x in 153 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
have you played out every game in pitch by pitch?
No, only playoffs. I use pitch to contact sometimes, but I consider how powerful the batter is, whether a single is the same as a walk or if it advances other runners, how accurate the pitcher is, etc., before I pitch to contact. I tend to use it with 3 balls and in 2-0 counts then.

A lot of it depends on the control of the pitcher - with elite control pitchers I often even pitch around with good results.
__________________
"Odor is now 2 for 5 today"
(Commentator, after Rougned Odor, up to then 1 for 4, punched Jose Bautista square in the face.)
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Juust a bit outside...
Posts: 4,176
Thanks: 954
Thanked 2,087x in 1,211 posts
I'm confused then. How can you say the pitch to contact is The cause of those stats when you don't play out every game?
__________________
"Cannonball Coming!" Go Bucs!!
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
JMGC (05-26-2016), RchW (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer
 
Honorable_Pawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 6,407
Thanks: 4,129
Thanked 3,899x in 2,140 posts
I play in pitch-by-pitch and this is one reason why I let the AI manger make the in-game decisions (excluding substitutions). I'd be way too tempted to use this cheat or the take-pitch cheat.
__________________
PBA Quickstart for OOTP
Background Images Collection

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve
 
MrBojangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: low and inside
Posts: 550
Thanks: 127
Thanked 179x in 109 posts
Good to know! I'll use pitch to contact more often now
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:20 AM   #10
Number4
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 460
Thanks: 44
Thanked 240x in 153 posts
I do play playoff games in PBP, and I do sometimes switch a normal game to PBP if the situation warrants it. So I don't have stats, but I do have cirumstancial evidence about my pitchers performance from observation.

And it doesn't make really sense to program a function that improves pitchers performance by throwing less balls, while not making those pitches easier to hit for batters?
__________________
"Odor is now 2 for 5 today"
(Commentator, after Rougned Odor, up to then 1 for 4, punched Jose Bautista square in the face.)
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:14 AM   #11
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)
 
MrWideFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 224
Thanks: 124
Thanked 70x in 54 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
No, only playoffs. I use pitch to contact sometimes, but I consider how powerful the batter is, whether a single is the same as a walk or if it advances other runners, how accurate the pitcher is, etc., before I pitch to contact. I tend to use it with 3 balls and in 2-0 counts then.

A lot of it depends on the control of the pitcher - with elite control pitchers I often even pitch around with good results.
Why are you answering for the OP?
MrWideFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
BIG17EASY (05-26-2016), David Watts (05-26-2016), Lukas Berger (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 04:17 AM   #12
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Juust a bit outside...
Posts: 4,176
Thanks: 954
Thanked 2,087x in 1,211 posts
lol. I didn't realize that ��
__________________
"Cannonball Coming!" Go Bucs!!
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #13
rpriske
Hall Of Famer
 
rpriske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 15,910
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 892
Thanked 1,094x in 620 posts
I use pitch-to-contact for one thing only... bases loaded.

Basically because bases-loaded walks really piss me off.
__________________
Rusty Priske
Poet, Canadian, Baseball Fan

````````````````````````````````````````

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Rusty I'm devastated.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #14
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments
 
Lukas Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Nice, Côte d'Azur, France
Posts: 11,979
Thanks: 18,844
Thanked 8,768x in 4,411 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcharles520 View Post
Ehh slightly higher slugging
whereas the walk rate is greg maddux-like for my entire staff

i'm probably going to start over my franchise because this is triggering bad stat-OCD in me lol
Not only significantly higher slugging, worst in the league by .014 on average is not "slight", but massively, massively less K's as well as you point out. The low K's are a direct result of your strategy, and they only make sense. You're trading walks for K's and getting hit hard.

I don't think there's an issue here to be honest. You're simply willing to make a trade-off that real teams won't make, almost no walks in exchange for almost no K's and getting hit harder.

I'm pretty sure real teams could do this, they just choose not to because it doesn't work. And your results would tend to back that theory up, it's not like your team is winning all its games or getting great results, you're simply picking your poison, and would likely be far, far better off with a more traditional strategy.

Actually this is a strength of the game, not an issue, that you can sandbox crazy strategies and tactics and see how they play out in a believably realistic way

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 05-26-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
5 thanks for this post:
Hammercraft (05-31-2016), injury log (05-27-2016), NoOne (05-26-2016), sol_phenom (05-27-2016), TribeFanInNC (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #15
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Juust a bit outside...
Posts: 4,176
Thanks: 954
Thanked 2,087x in 1,211 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Not only higher slugging, but massively, massively less K's as well.

I don't think there's an issue here to be honest. You're simply willing to make a trade-off that real teams won't make, almost no walks in exchange for almost no K's and getting hit harder.

I'm pretty sure real teams could do this, they just choose not to because it doesn't work. And your results would tend to back that theory up, it's not like your team is winning all its games or getting great results, you're simply picking your poison, and would likely be better off with a more traditional strategy.

Actually I think this is a strength of the game, not an issue, that you can sandbox crazy strategies and tactics and see how they play out in a believably realistic way
Great response!
__________________
"Cannonball Coming!" Go Bucs!!
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Lukas Berger (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments
 
Lukas Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Nice, Côte d'Azur, France
Posts: 11,979
Thanks: 18,844
Thanked 8,768x in 4,411 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Great response!
Thanks!

Basically the op is trying to break the game with an exploit here, but the game won't let him do it, but penalizes him in an accurate, realistic, believable manner.

That just shows how OOTP is a quality game with some quality coding!

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 05-26-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #17
NoOne
Hall Of Famer
 
NoOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6,558
Thanks: 692
Thanked 1,787x in 1,443 posts
it looks like he's benefiting from a low babip, which isn't something you can depend on.

that 3.85 ERA is likely to rise. there's a reason that strategy isn't used as stated above. just like professional pitchers should be able to throw a strike, a professional batter can put good contact on balls safely in the strike zone. that slugging will be .400+ if you continue to do it religiously, which relative to the rest of the league is quite high.

and if the quality of his staff is high, he's underperforming significantly. that would be a key, too.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-26-2016 at 04:05 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Lukas Berger (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 05:55 PM   #18
kcharles520
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 46
Thanks: 16
Thanked 11x in 8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
have you played out every game in pitch by pitch?
yea i played out every game pitch by pitch. i'd also guess that a large portion of my 43 walks are from pitching around great hitters w/ first base open, which i do quite frequently.

i guess the part i find most unrealistic is that some of my pitchers literally have 1 ratings for control (on 100 scale). and w/ "pitch to contact" they throw a strike almost every time regardless of their poor control. yes i want to reduce walks...but i don't want to *eliminate* them from happening entirely.

so in a way, the "pitch to contact" option nullifies the whole purpose of having a "control" rating to begin with IMO.

Last edited by kcharles520; 05-26-2016 at 06:00 PM.
kcharles520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #19
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments
 
Lukas Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Nice, Côte d'Azur, France
Posts: 11,979
Thanks: 18,844
Thanked 8,768x in 4,411 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcharles520 View Post
so in a way, the "pitch to contact" option nullifies the whole purpose of having a "control" rating to begin with IMO.
Just don't use it in such an extreme manner then and you'll be fine You're using the option in a way it's not been designed to be used. The game is penalizing you for doing so, and what you're doing is not helping your team get an edge. So why keep doing it?

If you as an org either in game or irl make it a priority for your player to never throw balls and instead throw 85 MPH meatballs straight down the middle of the plate anytime they have a three ball count, your pitchers will follow orders and do so.

Typically poor control pitchers have poor control because they're overthrowing, they can't handle controlling the ball at their peak velocity. If they aren't throwing at max effort or anything close to it though, they can surely lob slow pitches over the middle of the plate all day long, no matter what their control is like when they're actually tying to pitch well.

You're making a radical choice, which the game allows you to do, but penalizes you for. This shows the game at its most flexible and realistic. So what's wrong here?

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 05-26-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
sol_phenom (05-27-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #20
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments
 
Lukas Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Nice, Côte d'Azur, France
Posts: 11,979
Thanks: 18,844
Thanked 8,768x in 4,411 posts
I also find it a bit curious that any of your pitchers would have 1 our of 100 control and would still be in MLB. A pitcher whose control is that bad shouldn't be able to even make the majors in OOTP, whatever his other attributes

Even if one outlier did make it, there shouldn't be multiple guys like that, though you indicate there are, which I don't really think is possible.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Mark42661 (05-31-2016), sol_phenom (05-27-2016)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments