Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.5.52 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special: Save 50% on OOTP 20!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

View Poll Results: How would you like the PT league construction / seeding to work?
Keep things the way they are, minimum randomness 18 24.66%
Randomize & use friends feature for league construction 55 75.34%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 05:38 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Thanked 39,416x in 6,114 posts
Lightbulb Feedback needed: Shuffle teams prior to start of new season?

OK guys, we're in full swing of OOTP 20 development, but we will introduce some features of that into OOTP 19 PT as well.

Currently we are discussing how to handle team seedings into leagues. Right now we try to make sure that when you get promoted / demoted you stay with the teams of your former league if possible, in order to preserve rivalries. Teams who do not get promoted / relegated stay with the other teams in the same league, again the idea behind this is to preserve possible rivalries. Once a league is complete, the divisions are shuffled randomly, so that you probably don't end up with the same team in the same division.

Now the question is, do you like this? Or would you rather have us construct all leagues first randomly (plus using the friends feature if we ever get that working )?

Please let us know!

Last edited by Kris Jardine; 01-04-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Thanked 886x in 528 posts
Rivalries can be fun, but what is way worse is being stuck with the same whale that you'll never beat. So I'd rather shuffle.
Thank you for this post:
traylor45 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
Gator993
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
I love the concept of moving up with rivals but that loses steam when there is no in game message board. Don’t know how many people will even remember who they played with? But if the other option is completely random and has no balancing implications I think current system is best. If you stay in league you should always stay with others that stayed.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
stl jason
All Star Starter

Thanked 1,164x in 740 posts
will there be a way to show career win-lost records versus any long-time rivals? (or is there now and I just haven't found it). Right now on the team-by-team report, it will show how you've fared against all the other teams in the league for that year; but not an all-time record against them if you've been in the same league with them for many years (maybe a historical-team-by-team report... though that could get quite large after awhile )

I'd say if/when the friends feature is working make that the top priority for grouping; then group by long-time rivals. It's fun to see some of the same teams year after year and watch how each of them improve (or not) as the weeks go by (so I'm kind of a hybrid of the poll choices)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
will there be a way to show career win-lost records versus any long-time rivals?
No, this data is only tracked for the current year.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
pappyzan
Major Leagues

Thanked 295x in 167 posts
I like the idea of rivalries with random division shuffles, so the current system is pretty good as it is.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
cfagyal
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 6x in 4 posts
I'd prefer randomness, or at least more randomness. I unfortunately ended up in a 20 team diamond league this season, and was disappointed because I had so few new teams that I hadn't played before. I always looked forward in promotions to the new teams i'd see. Perhaps change it up so you remain with half of the teams you were promoted with, so you end up with significantly more new teams in your new league.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfagyal View Post
I'd prefer randomness, or at least more randomness. I unfortunately ended up in a 20 team diamond league this season, and was disappointed because I had so few new teams that I hadn't played before. I always looked forward in promotions to the new teams i'd see. Perhaps change it up so you remain with half of the teams you were promoted with, so you end up with significantly more new teams in your new league.
Personally I agree... it's really interesting to get to meet new teams, there is more to discover and more scouting involved than when I end up in a league with 20 teams I played against the previous season.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
stealofhome
All Star Starter

Thanked 448x in 336 posts
While I do like the rivalries that develop and I did vote to keep things the way they are, I wonder if there is another possibility? Rivalries are only fun when both teams have a chance at beating the other - could there be some way to increase randomness of seeding based on the team's record?

Typically the bad teams will either be relegated or stay in the level and all the good-ish (.450-.600 WPCT) teams will move up the levels with the good teams and lose to them every year. Could the good teams (.600/.650+ PCT) have an increased chance of being seeded randomly so that at least the good-ish teams could lose to a new whale in a new league?

I feel like this idea mostly only matters in the first few years of the game where everyone is moving up levels together and populating the universe. Then things should be mostly stable and rivalries will be formed as fewer teams are moving between leagues. It would be interesting to see how many new teams are being formed as the universe progresses in 2019 and how that impacts the leagues that have been running for quite a few game years.
Thank you for this post:
Dunzie (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Thanked 10,510x in 4,132 posts
Ideally for me I think we'd have a mix. So would be nice to keep all the teams that got promoted/demoted together into their new leagues, and if I could come back each year with anywhere from a handful to maybe half the league back, that would be a nice compromise.
Thank you for this post:
BoofBonser26 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,274x in 2,475 posts
Pro shuffle and friends feature here although I don't have any friends, but the rivalries in the game are maybe overstated. I don't know, I have been around a few teams in my current league for most weeks since entry pool, but the Rimavoska Sobota Baseball Club and the Belchertown Hoopleheads are still not my mortal enemies... Maybe it's me and my issue with feeling detached when I can't play out my games. I'd rather see different teams on a regular basis.
: 2 POWELL : 8 REECE : 10 BROWN : 15 HALL : 28 CASAS : 32 WEST : 46 SAITO

Resident Mets Cynic

Old 01-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #12
AirmenSmith
All Star Starter

Thanked 330x in 194 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
Rivalries can be fun, but what is way worse is being stuck with the same whale that you'll never beat. So I'd rather shuffle.
Same for me. I find PT less interesting if I get promoted with the team that just destroyed the whole league. A shuffle would at least keep my interest even if whales are still present.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
trips36
Bat Boy

Thanked 1x in 1 post
I would say to keep them for rivalries. I like that. I am making friends with other users this way. If there was a way to separate teams that are whales by performance or some other metric that would be good. It is no fun to know the league champ after 2 days because they are so dominant.
Thank you for this post:
AirmenSmith (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #14
mwb6
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 16x in 11 posts
Randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfagyal View Post

I agree with the idea of mixing it up (league and division). It will add freshness to the game which will add to the enjoyment.
Thank you for this post:
SF_49er (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #15
SayHey1
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 70x in 35 posts
One of the main reasons I'm sticking with PT (for now) is the chance I get to compete against friends as was promised would happen upon launch.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #16
traylor45
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 22x in 16 posts
I like the idea of staying with your rivals, but I don't think it's working out all that well, at least at the start of leagues.

There's not much fun being in a league with 2-4 whales and no chance of having the best record, or anything beyond a wild card berth.

Playoffs are a crapshoot, so yeah, even a weaker team is going to win fairly often, but over the course of a full season, those whales are going to rake and everyone else is left with the scraps.

If you're a good, but not great team, you'll keep moving up and being stuck behind the same guys over and over.

If you guys tweak the algorithm next year so that the whales are more likely to be put in leagues with each other (place teams in leagues based on total card points on the active roster or something similar...rather than all the promotions being randomly assigned), I think that would do a lot to fix the issue and make me like the idea of rivalries a lot more fun.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #17
bailey
All Star Starter

Thanked 416x in 237 posts
I like the way things are now, but then I've been winning....
I like the fact that I beat the same "better" team 2 out of 3 times in the playoffs.
I'm hoping for a rematch in Diamond, but this time we're in different conferences, so unlikely.

I would dislike a random reshuffle every season. If you are in a league, you should stay in that league until promoted or relegated. The only new teams would be the ones promoted or relegated into it.

As a compromise, those teams who request a completely new league could be accommodated individually. A check box in the settings: please reassign me randomly each season, OR a check box please keep me in the same league unless promoted/relegated.

Last edited by bailey; 01-04-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:25 PM   #18
lgfrench
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
without any option for trash talking what the hell is a rivalry?
Old 01-05-2019, 04:37 AM   #19
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Thanked 430x in 279 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealofhome View Post
While I do like the rivalries that develop and I did vote to keep things the way they are, I wonder if there is another possibility? Rivalries are only fun when both teams have a chance at beating the other - could there be some way to increase randomness of seeding based on the team's record?

Typically the bad teams will either be relegated or stay in the level and all the good-ish (.450-.600 WPCT) teams will move up the levels with the good teams and lose to them every year. Could the good teams (.600/.650+ PCT) have an increased chance of being seeded randomly so that at least the good-ish teams could lose to a new whale in a new league?

I feel like this idea mostly only matters in the first few years of the game where everyone is moving up levels together and populating the universe. Then things should be mostly stable and rivalries will be formed as fewer teams are moving between leagues. It would be interesting to see how many new teams are being formed as the universe progresses in 2019 and how that impacts the leagues that have been running for quite a few game years.
Nailed it.

+1
Old 01-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #20
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgfrench View Post
without any option for trash talking what the hell is a rivalry?
You can trash talk on Discord or here on the forums...
Closed Thread