Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 03-07-2002, 05:47 PM   #1
2thman
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Post Help :OOTP4 doesnt run after patch

Hi there folks: I bought OOTP4 last week and it ran fine on my system until I installed the patch and then nothing.

I run the program and it fails to initialize giving me a

"runservice exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"
Error Signature:

szAppName:runservice.exe
szAppVer:0.0.0.0
szModName:kernel32.dll
szModVer:5.1.2600
offset:0017942

My Computer is

450 MHz pentium 2
Windows XP
256 megs ram
PCI 64meg video card
650 mb free space on C drive
50 gb left on D drive
32 bit color
1024 by 768
Direct X 8.1
Netscape Navigator 6

I am no computer guru but it ran fine until the patch.

I tried uninstalling it all, tried it without the patch, with the patch, on both my hard drives, and it always shuts down before the game even kicks in.

I hate to bother folks here but I really was enjoying the game before the patch and have tried unsuccesfully for 4 days to remedy the situation without success.

Again, if I messed up with forgetting some stats on my computer, my apologies.

I am at a frustrating loss .....

Thanks

Glenn van As
Canadian baseball fan.
2thman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 06:12 PM   #2
PCline26
All Star Reserve

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
If you can't get the patch to run on it, then backup your league files, uninstall, and re-install without the patch. Play without the patch until the new one comes out. Then at that time re-install the first patch, and then the second one, hopefully that will fix the problem.

I'd rather have you play than not play lol. I cannot imagine life without OOTP.
PCline26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 07:55 PM   #3
edm
All Star Starter

Thanked 123x in 77 posts
Are you sure you installed the patch correctly, unzipping the OOTP4.exe in to OOTP4's main directory, overwriting the original exe file.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
2thman
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
HI there: thanks for the quick replies.

TO reiterate since I worded it so poorly the first time.

My verson of OOTP4 worked initially, but after installing the patched version it wouldnt work anymore.

I have tried now downloading the patched version and the unpatched version and installing both...

Neither works anymore.

I will once again download the original version, uninstall all my folders (dont play in a league) and see if the first unpatched version will install and play.

Thanks for all your help.

Glenn
Old 03-07-2002, 08:44 PM   #5
2thman
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
The only version available now is the patched version which despite repeated reinstalling gives me the same error.

Perhaps Markus has the older unpatched version available for me to try.

Glenn
Old 03-07-2002, 09:39 PM   #6
PCline26
All Star Reserve

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
BigCityBaseball.com may have the file for download (older version). You should give that a looksee.
PCline26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 10:23 PM   #7
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 50x in 25 posts
2thman, not positive what caused the runservice.exe error (that is the elicense program BTW), but thought I'd also suggest you clear some hard drive space as soon as you can on your C drive - that is a very low amount and you have a ton of room on D. It's wise to keep a gig+ free, depending partially on whether you rune your memory management or let the PC do it.

Further to your error:
[quote] The only version available now is the patched version which despite repeated reinstalling gives me the same error. <hr></blockquote>

The same error is the runservice.exe error? That is very important info and if yes, then I think I know what may have happened. I suspect you may have uninstalled by just deleting the OOTP4 folder, and the portion of the original installation that is still on your PC could cause this kind of error. If that is the case I think I can talk you through some fix attempts - they can be tricky (registry stuff) so please PM me (forum personal message icon) and hopefully we can set up a chat or something to make the process easier. I'll check messages Friday - good luck.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 03:03 PM   #8
2thman
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Thanks to Killebrew and PKline and Edm for trying to help out.

Yes I am still having the same problems with the patched version that I just tried to install.

Any help would be wonderful.

Glenn (alias 2thman) van As

glennvanas@shaw.ca is my email address.

thanks ....
Old 03-08-2002, 08:19 PM   #9
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 50x in 25 posts
Hi Glenn, I just emailed you with some idea's. If any of them work I'll post results here. If anyone else has a similar error please reply as well.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:50 PM   #10
Night2000
All Star Reserve

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
[quote]Originally posted by 2thman:
<strong>The only version available now is the patched version which despite repeated reinstalling gives me the same error.

Perhaps Markus has the older unpatched version available for me to try.

Glenn</strong><hr></blockquote>

Did you uninstall the E-License before uninstalling the game? You get 3 E-Licenses
with the game. After the game is installed you should make sure you have your E-License installed by going to Control Panel then
E-License. Click on License details to make sure you are licensed.

This post has the Al Bundy and Homer Simpson stamp of approval!
Night2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 10:28 PM   #11
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 50x in 25 posts
[quote]Originally posted by Night2000:
<strong>

Did you uninstall the E-License before uninstalling the game? You get 3 E-Licenses
with the game. After the game is installed you should make sure you have your E-License installed by going to Control Panel then
E-License. Click on License details to make sure you are licensed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's a great idea Night2000 - the error is elicense related, but I was thinking DLL files when a straight license/unlicense test should be tried 1st.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:37 AM   #12
2thman
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Hi there: I checked the e-liscense and there is nothing in the folder in the control panel.

Is there supposed to be something inside the Eliscense folder in the control panel.

We may be getting somewhere.....
You guys are brilliant.

Grin

Glenn
Old 03-09-2002, 06:10 AM   #13
Scott Vibert
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 231x in 163 posts
Yes there should be, this is where you would find the eliscence controls for the game; I will attach a screen shot of mine:

What you see is the main folder the Eliscence Control, then if you click the folders you see the games liscenced from each company, the other thing you see is if you click liscence details from one of the icons.

Hope this helps.

Edit - Fixed Image

[ March 09, 2002: Message edited by: ScottVib ]</p>
Scott Vibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 06:21 AM   #14
2thman
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Thanks Scott: I dont have anything in the Eliscense folder at all.......

What now.

Glenn
Old 03-09-2002, 06:24 AM   #15
2thman
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
By the way .....I still have the email record of my purchase and the Id # for Marcus and the OOTP4.com crew if they are lurking around.

I am happy to send that information to someone if it helps me renew the e-liscense information that hasnt been integrated into my computer.

Glenn
Old 03-09-2002, 06:43 AM   #16
Scott Vibert
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 231x in 163 posts
Hold onto your liscencing information. First thing I might try at this point is to call Via Tech (eliscence folks) the number is 866-723-3376 .

They should be able to help you out. The only other thing I could think of would be to fully uninstall the game reinstall, then you should get the purchase or liscence screen; select liscence, type in your information and you should be alright. (But you've indicated you've already tried this so that seems a bit odd)

Hope this helps.
Scott Vibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 03:54 PM   #17
Night2000
All Star Reserve

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
[quote]Originally posted by Killebrew:
<strong>

That's a great idea Night2000 - the error is elicense related, but I was thinking DLL files when a straight license/unlicense test should be tried 1st.</strong><hr></blockquote>

When he said he uninstalled and re-installed, I was wondering if he had unlicensed the game first before uninstalling.

This post has the Al Bundy and Homer Simpson stamp of approval!
Night2000 is offline   Reply With Quote