Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 12-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
fhoneck
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Is defensive position learning slowing down?

I've been playing guys out of position a lot (moving SS to 2B, CF to LF, etc.). Before a day or two ago, it had been very predictable and somewhat quick for the guys to learn the relatively easier positions.

But my last project was Leody Taveras (Rangers prospect CF). He's an above average CF, with 1-100 ratings of 78-70-65 for his skill ratings, and 66 rating in CF. I moved him to LF, where he climbed to 29 quickly. Then, after playing every game yesterday and the day before, he's now only a 35.

It's not the end of the world, but I'm wondering if this strategy has been changed and maybe I should stop doing it.
fhoneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Thanked 8,816x in 4,421 posts
As far as I know there were no changes here.

It's normal that the first little ways goes pretty quickly, but after reaching a minimal level of competence, it takes guys a lot longer to improve to being average or even decent. So you'll just want to stick with it, and he'll get there soon enough.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Buy Out of the Park Baseball 20!

Buy Franchise Hockey Manager 5!

Found a bug? Have a technical issue? Please post here and/or file a support ticket here.

Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
fhoneck (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Thalion
Major Leagues

Thanked 222x in 143 posts
I don't know if it's slowed down or not, but if you keep at it with the right fielding ratings, the benefits are noticible.

I took Duke Snider (who had very good ratings and made a good CF defender) and stuck him in LF. This season, he's checking in with a LF rating of 100.
Thalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
Dogberry99
All Star Reserve

Thanked 392x in 277 posts
I have read somewhere on these boards that it takes ~200 games to fully train a player at a new position. This seems to track, more or less, with my own experiences.

However, I have also seen some possible indications that Total Chances (or some other such stat) may play a role in gaining experience faster or slower.

Can anyone speak definitively as to what factors affect the rate of experience gains?
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Thanked 10,606x in 4,178 posts
It can take more or less depending on their talent and their expected end value. For example, an Ichiro has gotten up to a 55 rating in CF after only 60 games there, or an Aparicio has only taken like 10-15 games to make it up into the 30s already at 2B. But if you're trying to train someone else there, they may not learn as fast.

Plus, it generally is faster to learn the basics, but will take longer for the last bit. So my Ichiro probably takes 50 games to go from a 0 to a 50, but will take another 50 games to go from a 50 to a 70, for example.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
fhoneck (12-21-2018), old timer (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
ThePretender
All Star Starter

Thanked 375x in 263 posts
I am curious about this as well. I have a player who has 185 games played at a position, he has the ratings to develop the skills at this position, yet he's still a 0.

He's around 65 in all the IF skills except for IF error which is 57. This should be enough to learn 2B, right? After 185 games he's still 0. I have Tim Beckham who is 63-52-78-53, who is a 56 at 2B, so clearly this other player is superior and should be able to get into the 60's for a positional rating at 2B.

I would think 1500 innings at this position with his ratings would be more than enough to get him above 0.

Last edited by ThePretender; 12-22-2018 at 09:13 AM.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 7,533x in 3,711 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePretender View Post
I am curious about this as well. I have a player who has 185 games played at a position, he has the ratings to develop the skills at this position, yet he's still a 0.

He's around 65 in all the IF skills except for IF error which is 57. This should be enough to learn 2B, right? After 185 games he's still 0. I have Tim Beckham who is 63-52-78-53, who is a 56 at 2B, so clearly this other player is superior and should be able to get into the 60's for a positional rating at 2B.

I would think 1500 innings at this position with his ratings would be more than enough to get him above 0.

Does he throw left-handed?

My Fictional Dynasty: Orcin's Story ; The Sequel: Orcin Returns ; The Conclusion: Orcin's Brave New World
Orcin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
ThePretender
All Star Starter

Thanked 375x in 263 posts
Ah that's why, forgot. Thanks!
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
daves
All Star Starter

Thanked 444x in 317 posts
Since the game season is week to week, does the learned fielding ratings stick with the player into the next season?

Righty defense team

Lefty Custom
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #10
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Thanked 875x in 545 posts
It has for me.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #11
stl jason
All Star Starter

Thanked 1,357x in 856 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
It has for me.
same here.... was training George Kell at 1B last year... moved him to the DH role this year, but he still has the 1B skill level he earned
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
daves (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #12
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

There was a bug earlier where some players would not retain the experience, but it should be fixed now (I think it was fixed for last week).
Old 12-23-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
bailey
All Star Starter

Thanked 478x in 271 posts
Does that mean experience at other positions in entry pool sticks now?
Old 12-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #14
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Does that mean experience at other positions in entry pool sticks now?
No,the entry pool is still separate, I believe, so experience will not carry forward from there.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:12 AM   #15
Fenixdown
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 8x in 6 posts
I also have a question, related to the topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. My question is in regards to fielders who have a very low rating at a position that is on their card. I'm playing Josh Hamilton (2010 HAS LF) at CF, where his position rating is 9. It hasn't budged at all. Today, I decided to convert his card to CF from LF. Will his CF ratings now start to go up since I've made his natural position CF? If not, I guess my CF is gonna hafta be Lance Berkman... =/

(note : my team has no natural CF's because of my team's theme, which is top players to wear a Rangers uniform. Probably the best CFers to play for them all have silver or bronze ratings, so I decided to go with Hamilton who has 421 career games at center, the most of the three outfield positions in his career.)
Fenixdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #16
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 162x in 102 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
I also have a question, related to the topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. My question is in regards to fielders who have a very low rating at a position that is on their card. I'm playing Josh Hamilton (2010 HAS LF) at CF, where his position rating is 9. It hasn't budged at all. Today, I decided to convert his card to CF from LF. Will his CF ratings now start to go up since I've made his natural position CF? If not, I guess my CF is gonna hafta be Lance Berkman... =/

(note : my team has no natural CF's because of my team's theme, which is top players to wear a Rangers uniform. Probably the best CFers to play for them all have silver or bronze ratings, so I decided to go with Hamilton who has 421 career games at center, the most of the three outfield positions in his career.)
I think the answer is going to be “it depends.” I have a player who is a natural 2B and who also had a low rating at 3B. His raw ability suggested he’d be a pretty good 3B so I played him there and sure enough after a while he started to rise in ability at third. I wouldn’t expect much from Hamilton, who likely doesn’t have the range to be a decent CF. But it will turn on those raw numbers - if he has the CF skill set he can learn the position. Just as in real life, though, it’s very hard to move left on the defensive spectrum so CF skill will go slowly.