Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #41
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer
 
Le Grande Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Crossing the Rubicon
Posts: 14,736
Thanks: 41
Thanked 4,408x in 2,483 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Nuke View Post
So we can't relocate teams and shuffle the divisions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cole. View Post
No.... Changing division/conferences tends to be a prolific bug producer as there are a lot of checks and balances that need to go into it.
Considering the degree to which the real-life NHL has frequently realigned itself, either in response to expansion (in large ways in 1974-75, 1993-94, 1998-99; in small ways for 1970-71, 79-80), team relocations (1982-83, 1995-96), as well as just general realignments (1981-82, 2013-14), it seems to me not having this is something of a realism oversight.
__________________
.
"You're sad that people are mean? Well, I'm sorry, the world isn't one big liberal arts campus."
— Reality, South Park

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
— Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #42
Cole
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Posts: 2,598
Thanks: 744
Thanked 1,757x in 636 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Considering the degree to which the real-life NHL has frequently realigned itself, either in response to expansion (in large ways in 1974-75, 1993-94, 1998-99; in small ways for 1970-71, 79-80), team relocations (1982-83, 1995-96), as well as just general realignments (1981-82, 2013-14), it seems to me not having this is something of a realism oversight.
Historical play features the proper team/conference/division alignments moving through time.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #43
G-Nuke
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 184
Thanks: 58
Thanked 71x in 41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cole. View Post
Historical play features the proper team/conference/division alignments moving through time.
His point is that this kind of realignment is basically guaranteed to occur in the future, and I would argue that's it's a far more important feature than expansion itself...
G-Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:56 PM   #44
SushamiBoy
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 178
Thanks: 113
Thanked 88x in 44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Nuke View Post
His point is that this kind of realignment is basically guaranteed to occur in the future, and I would argue that's it's a far more important feature than expansion itself...
I think Cole's point is that it will be looked into in the future but at this time properly implementing re-alignment without delaying the game does not seem plausible. Look at EHM, they have made themselves super modable but alignment and cities remain hardcoded as it is problematic.
SushamiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Oyaji (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 01:27 AM   #45
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer
 
Le Grande Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Crossing the Rubicon
Posts: 14,736
Thanks: 41
Thanked 4,408x in 2,483 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cole. View Post
Historical play features the proper team/conference/division alignments moving through time.
Which is why not having realignment for non-historical leagues as a result of expansion or relocation seems odd. Clearly FHM is capable of handling league realignments given that it does so for historical leagues. Are historical and non-historical leagues in FHM fundamentally different in their core structures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushamiBoy View Post
I think Cole's point is that it will be looked into in the future but at this time properly implementing re-alignment without delaying the game does not seem plausible.
See above.
__________________
.
"You're sad that people are mean? Well, I'm sorry, the world isn't one big liberal arts campus."
— Reality, South Park

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
— Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #46
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,699
Thanks: 750
Thanked 590x in 418 posts
Since it looks like the NHL can have at the most 36 teams will custom leagues still have at the most 30 teams?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #47
BobC
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19
Thanks: 51
Thanked 53x in 15 posts
.Cole., thank you for posting this and for responding to everyone's questions. Given the troubles with the first version and the long wait for FHM2, your posts are the only thing keeping me engaged in the game. Your work is greatly appreciated.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Cole (07-20-2015), Oyaji (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #48
Cole
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Posts: 2,598
Thanks: 744
Thanked 1,757x in 636 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Which is why not having realignment for non-historical leagues as a result of expansion or relocation seems odd. Clearly FHM is capable of handling league realignments given that it does so for historical leagues. Are historical and non-historical leagues in FHM fundamentally different in their core structures?

See above.
I can't speak for the developers on the technical side of things, but from what I gather ... the existing changes to number of teams/alignments, etc, are a finite number of changes that could have been previously coded in .. Whereas if the user is given full control over changing all the specific details of a league, there are a number of different combinations of things working together that could lead to bugs.

I don't see how it's a departure from realism ... If the NHL does something in real life to change their divisions/alignment, I can say with certainty our developers will code so our game does the same. On top of that, we have the option for expansion.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
beezer2434 (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #49
Cole
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Posts: 2,598
Thanks: 744
Thanked 1,757x in 636 posts
Part 2 is now live:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3896527
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Duranium (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #50
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer
 
Le Grande Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Crossing the Rubicon
Posts: 14,736
Thanks: 41
Thanked 4,408x in 2,483 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cole. View Post
I don't see how it's a departure from realism ... If the NHL does something in real life to change their divisions/alignment, I can say with certainty our developers will code so our game does the same. On top of that, we have the option for expansion.
When expansion or relocation happens, the NHL—and other real-world sports leagues—sometimes do realignment. But even when relocating a team manually there can't be any realignment according to these posts from earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
When moving a team manually can you also move them to another division( or conference)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cole. View Post
I don't believe so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cole. View Post
No.... Changing division/conferences tends to be a prolific bug producer as there are a lot of checks and balances that need to go into it.

Once again, could be an option for future but as of now to keep things simple and avoid needless bugs when people change their alignments all around, you are confined to the existing configurations.
It's one thing to say the game won't do it automatically, and any league realignment must be done manually by the user. That's fine. It's another to say no realignment is possible at all, even if manually done. Which is what the quotes above suggest is the case, at least for FHM2.
__________________
.
"You're sad that people are mean? Well, I'm sorry, the world isn't one big liberal arts campus."
— Reality, South Park

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
— Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #51
Hajew86
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 59
Thanks: 32
Thanked 19x in 14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cole. View Post
I can't speak for the developers on the technical side of things, but from what I gather ... the existing changes to number of teams/alignments, etc, are a finite number of changes that could have been previously coded in .. Whereas if the user is given full control over changing all the specific details of a league, there are a number of different combinations of things working together that could lead to bugs.

I don't see how it's a departure from realism ... If the NHL does something in real life to change their divisions/alignment, I can say with certainty our developers will code so our game does the same. On top of that, we have the option for expansion.
Certainly a bummer that you can't manually shift teams into correct divisions and conferences as you see fit. If I'm understanding this correctly, I could "expand" the league by adding a team in Mexico City, in the Central Division, which obviously wouldn't make logistic or "realistic" sense. I know this is an extreme example however it's a point to be made. Perhaps in FHM3 in 2016-17...
Hajew86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments