Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
gemini615
Major Leagues

Thanked 265x in 200 posts
Using Starters in my Bullpen

For my all Indians team, I have Barker, Tiant, and Clevinger pitching from the pen. All three are doing fine (even in the diamond league) and I don't feel any need to upgrade. In the base game I understand this strategy wouldn't work due to finances, but in PT I don't see any downside using starters as relievers. They all get a bump in their stuff ratings and I can toss them in as starters if someone goes cold.
Does anybody see an obvious reason not to use starters in the bullpen?
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 7,526x in 3,708 posts
It bothers me for some reason, but it always seems to work for me. I see it work for my competition also, but of course there are sometimes bad results just as there are with relievers in the bullpen. I don't see a reason not to do it as long as it is working.

My Fictional Dynasty: Orcin's Story ; The Sequel: Orcin Returns ; The Conclusion: Orcin's Brave New World
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
gemini615
Major Leagues

Thanked 265x in 200 posts
It bothers me too, but that's probably my years of playing the base game. I'll be quite content with a no-contract Luis Tiant closing out games should he continue to.
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Thanked 510x in 283 posts
You should keep 1 or 2 at a minimum just for Long Relief purposes so you don't burn out all the 17 Stamina guys constantly. For non-LR, as long as they've got the stats for it, why not? Especially since they get that Stuff boost to help them out.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:14 AM   #5
Bagpipes5
Major Leagues

Thanked 47x in 26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini615 View Post
For my all Indians team
Do you have an all-Indians team that is named the Cleveland Spider (judging from your avatar)? So do I! It's my second team after my all-Astros team. Nice!

Bagpipes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:19 AM   #6
ThatComona
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 7x in 5 posts
I always only keep one or two max just out of principle. I understand it's not optimal, and everyone's entitled to play the game to win, but I personally like to stick to the rules a little harder, y'know?
ThatComona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:51 AM   #7
lboston1
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 14x in 7 posts
I think this plays into the fantasy of the simulation, i.e. what if Clevinger were a closer instead of a starter.
lboston1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
mess (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
mess
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 67x in 47 posts
I used Corbin as a closer for a few seasons. Worked out pretty well.