Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 03-11-2002, 05:34 AM   #1
643gdp
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Post Minor Bug: Player History not cleared when restarting league

When you replay a season (run through it more than once) the player history entries are not cleared from the earlier seasons. This results in HUGE player history entries and multiple "Joe Blow got his first hit" many times.
643gdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 08:00 PM   #2
JML
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
BUMP... I nearly created a new post, but I was a good boardmember and searched. I knew someone would have already mentioned this. Here's some more info:

I was testing something in a league which I had previously backed up at the beginning of season #2. I simmed a couple months, then restored. Since the stats were reset to zero, the team pitching, etc. reports were erased, but the news reports were not, so all the news from the test sim is still in the text files. This is the case with the following reports:

League: news log (but not breaking news), transactions, injuries

Team: news log, transactions, injuries, player dev.

The player histories are also affected. It would be very convenient if this info were deleted when a league is restored.

Luckily, I backed up this league at the end of season one, so I can just rerun the offseason and have fresh history files. Manually deleting all of that info would be a major drag.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 06:01 AM   #3
mtw
All Star Reserve

Thanked 4x in 3 posts
By backing up the league, I believe JML means <strong>manually</strong> backing up the league, i.e. copying your league file folder to another location. The backup option included with OOTP4 does not restore the news folders, including player history(unless this has changed in a recent patch).
Old 04-16-2002, 06:28 AM   #4
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 50x in 25 posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by 643gdp:
<strong>When you replay a season (run through it more than once) the player history entries are not cleared from the earlier seasons. This results in HUGE player history entries and multiple "Joe Blow got his first hit" many times.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you hit "reset" on a league several of the old notations (player history in particular) will not erase. This is because this info is appended to a file and it's impossible for the AI to know what should stay and what should not if you decide to hit reset. If you reset a full season you would have to manually edit any of these files (player history, possibly team history, league history and even the records pages depending on when you hit reset) if you were very concerned about any duplication and errors.

If you are replaying a season then backing up a league by zipping up the entire league folder before you start the season would be the suggested method, that will prevent all of these "file append" problems.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 06:51 AM   #5
Scott Vibert
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 231x in 163 posts
Easy way to delete the player histories. Go into the Players folder (under news) Highlight them all and delete them.

The game will create new blank files to replace the old ones.

Hope this helps.
Scott Vibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:06 AM   #6
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 50x in 25 posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ScottVib:
<strong>Easy way to delete the player histories. Go into the Players folder (under news) Highlight them all and delete them.

The game will create new blank files to replace the old ones.

Hope this helps.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good point, though a warning to career players - this erases all player history notations, not just the duplicate history from the replayed year.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:01 PM   #7
JML
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
1. I looked in the folder that is created in the OOTP4 directory when you back up a league. I noticed that the news folder isn't copied. My guess is that if the backup function also duplicated the News folder, the history pages would be properly modified. That way if you restore the league, it will overwrite the current news files with the ones that were in place when the league was backed up.

2. I did mean that I manually copied the league file.

This is definitely not a huge problem, I'll just be sure to make manual backups from now on. It just renders the backup option a little flawed.

<small>[ 04-16-2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: JML ]</small>
Old 04-16-2002, 05:14 PM   #8
JML
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Unhappy

OK. I doubt anyone can help with this, because I don't have a clue as to what happened. After noticing the aforementioned problem with history pages not being reset, I loaded up my manually backed up league file from the end of season one. I ran all the offseason stuff and got back to the beginning of season two. I started playing my first game when I noticed that my player history pages were blank. The only players who had pages were the newly-drafted rookies.

I looked in the backup of the backup for "end of season one" and the whole news folder was empty. So now I'm at the start of season two with no player history.

Part of the league history is still there (standings and top 5's) but the MVP, Cy Young and ROY awards are not. The 50+ homer page still shows the one guy who broke 50, but the 6+ hit page is blank (2 players were on it before).

Team history pages have the final record for season one, but the picks in the initial draft are gone.

What the? Anyone have any idea what could have happened? I could see me trashing the whole league by messing something up with all the backups, restores, and manual .lg copying, but somehow only portions of my league got deleted.

I already deleted all the backup folders and extra .lg copies, so I doubt there's any way to get this info back. I guess I'll just start ANOTHER new fictional league (third time's a charm) and be more careful...sigh...

<small>[ 04-16-2002, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: JML ]</small>
Old 04-16-2002, 07:07 PM   #9
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 50x in 25 posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by JML:
<strong>...(snip)... It just renders the backup option a little flawed.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's true. In cases where a user is depending on this backup feature for a career league they will likely be very dissapointed when they discover this fact later on. My usual advice is to manually back up your leagues ala OOTP3 (into a zipfile), but changing the current backup feature so it backs up the entire league would be a good thing, especially for new players.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:22 PM   #10
Granny Hamner
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Thanks for the good info on this problem. Does anyone know if the backup function on IatricSB's Era Calculator performs a manual backup that would avoid this problem?