Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 18.8.76 Update Available - OOTP 18 Available - FHM 4 Available - MLB Manager 2017 Available Now

World Series Special: OOTP Baseball 18 Now 66% Off!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Thanked 196x in 142 posts
NFL thoughts - week 5

Alright, someone out there explain to me the rules on this one. Late in the Dallas/GB game (start @ 2:34), the Cowboys run Elliott on 4th & short. Initially, it looked like he was stopped for no gain. However, replay shows he stretched the ball out to reach the 1st down marker. However, he also drew the ball back in w/o getting pulled backwards. So while his furthest progress did reach 1st down, his forward progress wasn't lost due to the Packer D. Shouldn't the ball have been marked from when he was down, not from where he stretched?............

.......What is Jacksonville? Look @ their results. I mean, they aren't good. They aren't bad. They aren't mediocre. They aren't lucky. What the heck are they????...........

......Who had the Jets battling the Pats for a share of the AFC East lead in week 6?.............

......Is Joel Embiid the Sam Bradford of the NBA?.............

.......Giants are so bad, even the Chargers couldn't find a way to lose to them..................

......Dolphins currently have 4 TD's in 4 games. Glad Cutler was available to save the season............

.......What happened to the Nigerian Nightmare?.........

......Never seen Luke Kuechly miss so many tackles as I did this past Sunday...........

.....People gave Tar Heel alum Mitch Trubisky some good reviews in his 1st start. I'm glad, but can't help but feel he is doomed. No team has a longer history than the Chicago Bears. How many great Qb's have they had in that time?...........

......Must give kudos to the NFL for their "Crucial Catch" campaign. Their breast cancer awareness campaigns were presented as the NFL caring for their fans. But it came off as a veiled attempt to appeal to the undersold female market by hawking pink merchandise. Especially when stats show prostate cancer is more prevalent. Wouldn't a corporation that was truly concerned about their fans' health raise more awareness to the biggest threat to their fan base? Spreading their attention to cancer as a whole comes off as more sincere......

......Texans started the year w/just 20 pts in their 1st 2 games. They have 124 in their last 3.........

.......Speaking of which, as mediocre as the AFC South is, it might become the most intriguing race this season. Houston has found a star on offense only to lose 2 on defense. Tennessee is going only as far as Mariotta holds up. Somehow Brissett is keeping Indy a float until Andrew Luck returns. And the Jaguars are doing whatever the heck it is they are doing. No one looks geared to run away from this thing. Which seems to indicate no one will be out of this thing come December.......

........Adrian Peterson to Arizona. Interesting...........

Memes of the week.........

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 10-10-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
ry1220
All Star Reserve

Thanked 166x in 124 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Alright, someone out there explain to me the rules on this one. Late in the Dallas/GB game (start @ 2:34), the Cowboys run Elliott on 4th & short. Initially, it looked like he was stopped for no gain. However, replay shows he stretched the ball out to reach the 1st down marker. However, he also drew the ball back in w/o getting pulled backwards. So while his furthest progress did reach 1st down, his forward progress wasn't lost due to the Packer D. Shouldn't the ball have been marked from when he was down, not from where he stretched?............
I wondered this too. Glad it didn't matter in the end. The line to gain isn't the end zone.
ry1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,938x in 1,060 posts
Another cheap just-barely win for the Colts. I'm hoping I'm right about Brissett being just good enough to keep them close to .500 until Luck comes back....but considering the two teams they've beaten are a combined 0-10, I'm hoping Luck gets in there ASAP.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:52 AM   #4
Ragnar
All Star Starter

Thanked 92x in 75 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Only two things I can think of that would justify that call, and the most likely scenario.

1. He was down by contact after he stretched out the ball. Not likely since they didn't see it to begin with, and it's not clear in the replay.

2. If they blew the whistle after he stretched out the ball. He may of heard the whistle and retracted his arm.

The most likely scenario is they got it wrong.
Ragnar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
Cobra Mgr
All Star Starter

Thanked 196x in 142 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Only two things I can think of that would justify that call, and the most likely scenario.

1. He was down by contact after he stretched out the ball. Not likely since they didn't see it to begin with, and it's not clear in the replay.

2. If they blew the whistle after he stretched out the ball. He may of heard the whistle and retracted his arm.

The most likely scenario is they got it wrong.
The whistle having been blown is the only credible explanation in that. He had players under him, so he couldn't have been considered down on the ground.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote