Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.4.40 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

OOTP Baseball 20 - AVAILABLE NOW!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > MLB Manager 2018 > MLB Manager Dynasty Reports

MLB Manager Dynasty Reports Tell us about the MLBM dynasties you have built!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #141
Paulie123
All Star Starter

Thanked 279x in 265 posts
6 April 2047

GM’s notebook - Series 1 and 2

Carson City 0-3 Magpies
Carson City 2-6 Magpies
Carson City 0-4 Magpies
Magpies 4-3 Olympia
Magpies 0-1 Olympia
Magpies 9-4 Olympia

- Mal Brown threw 8 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB to win a fabulous opening day pitching duel against the Rattlesnakes’ new starter Brian Duffy.
- Bob Miller went 3-5 with 3 doubles and Michael O’Quinn went 3-4 in the second game. Kevin Cantrell had an excellent debut, throwing 8.2 IP for 2 ER and 9 K.
- Philip Givens completed a superb opening series for the rotation by putting up a stat line of 7.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1BB.
- Jeremy Williams was also impressive on his first start for the club against Olympia, allowing only 1 unearned run on 4 hits over 8 innings, but the offense had a really poor day.
- Miller hit 5-5 with 2 doubles in the 9-4 victory over the Wolfhounds. He’s had an incredible first week, going 11-24 with 5 doubles for a 1.128 OPS.

This week: 5-1
Record: 5-1, 1st place, 1 game lead over Lansing, Madison, St. Paul
The State Capitals League - The Magpies
Paulie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #142
Paulie123
All Star Starter

12 April 2047

GM’s notebook - Series 3 and 4

Salem 5-2 Magpies
Salem 4-5 Magpies
Salem 3-11 Magpies
Magpies 0-5 St. Paul
Magpies 6-5 St. Paul
Magpies 0-1 St. Paul

- Orlando Gonzáles made the different with a HR and a double as we nicked the 5-4 victory over Salem in the bottom of the 9th, having trailed since the top of the 1st.
- Philip Givens is out for a week with back spasms. Derek Jenkins will make a spot start in a few days and we’ll go a man light in the bullpen.
- The Ironclads got a spanking in the rubber game of the series. Guillermo Díaz homered in our first at-bat of the game and we piled on the runs from there. Díaz ended 3-5, while Enrique Limón went 2-2 with a HR, 3 walks and 2 stolen bases.
- Jenkins gave up 4 runs before he’d even retired a batter in the second game in St. Paul. We looked well beaten until out of nowhere we scored 5 runs in the 8th, including Carlos Zúñiga’s triple and Michael O’Quinn’s double.
- I don’t like the 3 shutouts in the last 8 games.
- Mal Brown came out of the 1-0 defeat after only 18 pitches. The injury looks serious but I’ll only get the diagnosis in the morning.

This week: 3-3
Record: 8-4, 1st place, 1 game lead over Lansing, Madison
Old 01-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #143
Paulie123
All Star Starter

13 April 2047

To: Billy DePodesta

Des Moines Magpies Medical Department
INJURY REPORT: MAL BROWN

I attach the requested report on the injury sustained by Mal Brown in yesterday’s game against the St. Paul Rockets.

Mal has torn the flexor tendon in his right elbow. The tendon is an attachment for the muscles in the forearm and wrist, that powers finger and wrist bending. He has suffered a mercifully rare instance of the tendon tearing completely. He will need surgery to remove degenerated tissue and repair the tendon. It is a particularly extreme case of its type and will require a lengthy post-operative rehabilitation. Mal is absolutely certain to be unable to pitch again this season. In fact, his recovery period is likely to be 14-15 months. There is a significant risk that Mal may not be able to resume playing baseball at major league standard at all.

I am aware that this is the second extremely severe and career-threatening injury suffered by one of our pitchers, following Alfonso Carranza’s ongoing long recovery from Tommy John surgery. I am confident that, given the nature of the injuries in question, this is purely a case of bad luck. However, I have today requested my team conduct an internal review of our physiotherapy and fitness management practices to ensure that these are not, and do not become, a contributory factor to injury occurrences on our roster.

Aristotle Catheter M.D.
Club Doctor
Attached Images

Last edited by Paulie123; 01-23-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #144
Paulie123
All Star Starter

13 April 2047

GM’s notebook

- There’s no getting away from it: Mal Brown’s injury is a huge blow.
- With his contract running out in a little over 5 months, his Magpies career has effectively come to an end. Cantrell becomes our rotation leader a year ahead of schedule.
- The solution to fill the rotation spot can come from within. Ideally, I’ll promote steadily-improving Robinson Ortíz. However, that would leave me with no lefty middle reliever, so I’d need to use some of my outfield depth to trade for one. If I can’t find a player I like, then I could alternatively promote Derek Jenkins, and promote Richard Wilhelm into Jenkins’s bullpen spot.
So my rotation will become: Cantrell, Givens, Hendrickson, Williams, Ortíz/Jenkins.
- Today is a rest day which gives me a short window to sort this out.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #145
Paulie123
All Star Starter

13 April 2047

Zebedee Stethoscope
@glasshalfempty

Aw man that mal brown injury suks, i new this yr wd b hard, bye bye playoffs #getwellsoonbrowny #alwaysnextyear
10:22PM - 13 Apr 2047

Meghan Sparkle
@dontplaywithsparklers

@glasshalfempty yep good player, good guy, he’ll be missed. Sad way to end his #Magpies career. Long way to go this season though!
10:24PM - 13 Apr 2047

Tony Smashie
@DJTony

Who do you think Billy will get in to replace him guys? Let’s hear your shout outs! I vote for a promotion for @RobinsonOrtizSCL. Rock on!
10:27PM - 13 Apr 2047

Hank Blunt
@isayitlikeitis

@DJTony Jenkins
10:30PM - 13 Apr 2047

Bart Wardrobe
@MagpiesMad

In Billy I trust! #keepthefaith #Magpies
10:33PM - 13 Apr 2047
Old 01-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #146
Paulie123
All Star Starter

14 April 2047

====================
SCLmagpiesnation.com
====================

DePodesta adds Torres to bullpen

By Maggie Pye | 14 April | 2,085 comments

Magpies GM Billy DePodesta has moved quickly to reshuffle his roster after the terrible news came through yesterday of Mal Brown’s career-threatening injury and lengthy lay-off. Former club top prospect Robinson Ortíz has been promoted into the #5 rotation spot. Their rotation is now Kevin Cantrell, Philip Givens, P.J. Hendrickson, Jeremy Williams and Ortíz.

DePodesta has traded with Raleigh to find a new left-hander to take over Ortíz’s old middle relief role, getting 25-year-old Vincente Torres. Torres was the Dark Knights’ 2nd round draft pick in 2044, but until now has no major league experience. He has four nice pitches in his armoury but his control is a worry. The Magpies also obtained two minor league starting pitchers, Peter Long and Greg Murdock, in the deal. In return, DePodesta was forced to cede some of his outfield depth, giving the Dark Knights minor leaguer and former first round pick Kei Sasaki, who departs Des Moines without making a major league appearance for the ballclub. Raleigh will start slugger Sasaki at centre field against right-handed pitchers. Both Sasaki and Torres will be on their respective new active rosters for tonight’s games.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #147
Paulie123
All Star Starter

15 April 2047

Cc: Will Rueda

Dear Billy

I’m just emailing to wish you, Will and all other Magpies staff all the best for the rest of the season, and to offer my sincere thanks for the fantastic 8 years I’ve spent as a member of this wonderful club. Bringing the championship home last October was without question the greatest moment of my career. Those memories will stay with me forever, and I feel privileged to have been a part of that team. I am proud to have spent so much of my SCL career as a Magpie.

It’s a shame my playing time here has come to an end in this way, but that’s life, I suppose. As you’ll be aware, Aristotle and his colleagues in the medical department have offered to continue to support me in my recovery and rehabilitation beyond the end of my contract in November, and I’m extremely grateful to them and yourself for that. I hope recover fully and to be able to resume my playing career, and if I’m able to do so it will be in large part thanks to the team here.

All the best and go Magpies!
Mal
Old 01-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #148
Paulie123
All Star Starter

19 April 2047

GM’s notebook - Series 5 and 6

Phoenix 3-1 Magpies
Phoenix 1-2 Magpies
Phoenix 1-6 Magpies
Magpies 2-3 Lansing
Magpies 12-4 Lansing
Magpies 7-8 Lansing

- Another poor day for the offense in the series opener against the Raccoons: just 3 hits and 1 walk.
- Barely any better the next day, but P.J. Hendrickson (6.2 IP, 1 ER) and Derek Jenkins (3.1 IP, 0 ER) were superb, and one of our 4 hits was Orlando Gonzáles’s walk-off home run in the 10th.
- Finally some offense in game 3, with Carlos Zúñiga hitting 2-4 with a home run and a double. Vincente Torres required just 5 pitches to throw a scoreless inning on his first SCL appearance.
- Robinson Ortíz got the win in his first major league start in the 12-4 thrashing of the Sharks. Zúñiga went 3-5 and Guillermo Díaz went 3-6, both hit a homer and a double.
- We were cruising at 7-3 up heading into the bottom of the 9th in the final game, only for Kevin Cantrell and Júlio Martínez to blow up for 5 runs and an 8-7 loss. Jim Dillman, who hadn’t had a single hit in the series up to then, hit a bases-clearing double to start the rally.
- Who’s hot so far? Zúñiga (.875 OPS), Bob Miller (.828 OPS), Jorge Cruz (1.89 FIP), the defense (.744 DEF).
- Who’s not so far? Matt Anderson (.441 OPS), Jenkins (5.97 FIP).

Record: 11-7, =2nd place, 1 GB from Madison
Old 01-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #149
Paulie123
All Star Starter

20 April 2047

Taken from “The Big Book of Baseball Bywords” by BooBoo Berra:

“I only truly realised just how much playing baseball meant to me when I wasn’t able to do it any more.”

- Mal Brown
Old 01-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #150
Paulie123
All Star Starter

25 April 2047

GM’s notebook - Series 7 and 8

Bismarck 6-2 Magpies
Bismarck 6-3 Magpies
Bismarck 3-2 Magpies
Magpies 6-2 Denver
Magpies 11-3 Denver
Magpies 4-5 Denver

- Michael O’Quinn had his best game for us so far in the 6-3 defeat to Bismarck, going 2-2 with a home run, double and walk.
- After going 0-3 in the final Coyotes game, Guillermo Díaz is now hitting below the Mendoza line. He needs to snap out of this or else he may lose his leadoff spot.
- Jeremiah Harvey and Carlos Zúñiga snapped the losing streak in the first Denver game by homering in the 13th inning. Dave Dodd hit 4-6 and Felipe Ríos went 3-6.
- Orlando Gonzáles has asked for a contract extension. He’ll turn 34 in December. I want to have a longer look at how he’s playing this season before deciding whether to try and keep him here.
- Díaz, Zúñiga, Gonzáles and Fernando Martínez each got 3 hits in the 11-3 second win against the Snow Sox.
- Lansing’s hefty offseason investment in their offense is paying off so far. They easily lead the SCL with 42 HR and a team .822 OPS. Of their free agent signings, Yasunari Yamamoto has a .980 OPS and Rich Nelson’s mark is .960.

This week: 2-4
Record: 13-11, 3rd place, 4 GB from Madison
Old 01-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #151
Paulie123
All Star Starter

2 May 2047

GM’s notebook - Series 9 and 10

Austin 5-3 Magpies
Austin 7-3 Magpies
Austin 3-1 Magpies
Magpies 2-1 Sacramento
Magpies 4-5 Sacramento
Magpies 6-5 Sacramento

- Enrique Limón is second in the league with 11 stolen bases so far.
In the 7-3 loss to Austin, we gave up 19 hits in total. The Tycoons left 11 men on base and wasted chances to get a much bigger win.
- Austin completed the sweep despite Philip Givens pitching a very tidy complete game.
- With that loss we drop below .500. Our Pythagorean record, however, is 16-11 so hopefully we’ll get the winning feeling back soon.
- Robinson Ortíz pitched beautifully in the 2-1 win over the Stingrays, going 7 IP for just 1 run allowed. He’s now 3-0 with a 2.42 ERA on the season.
- We left it extremely late in the rubber game in Sacramento, tying the game thanks to 4 runs in the top of the 9th, and then winning it in the 12th.
- But I have that sinking feeling again... Bob Miller had to be substituted in the bottom of the 9th after making what looked like a routine play at right field. He was in agony and looks like it’s his Achilles’ tendon. It’s probably a case of how long he’ll be out for, rather than ‘if’.

This week: 2-4
Record: 15-15, 4th place, 6 GB from Madison
Old 01-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #152
Paulie123
All Star Starter

3 May 2047

Des Moines Magpies Medical Department
INJURY REPORT: BOB MILLER

As requested, enclosed is a copy of the full injury report for Bob Miller.

I regret to have to report to you for the second time in as many months, of a serious injury to a front-line player. As our on-field medical team immediately diagnosed, Miller suffered a torn Achilles’ tendon in his right leg in last night’s game in Sacramento. As you can imagine he was in a great deal of pain, and will certainly face a lengthy stint undergoing rehabilitation.

Fortunately, he will not require surgery. Doctors have already applied a short leg cast. He will have to rest completely for approximately 4 weeks, and the cast will be removed a few weeks afterwards. He will then undergo a period of physical therapy. At age 32, Miller is still a relatively young man and is obviously extremely fit. Usual recovery time for an injury of this sort is 4-6 months but I currently expect his return to fitness to be at the lower end of that timescale. My best guess is that he will be fit and ready to return to the active roster before the end of the season.

Aristotle Catheter M.D.
Club Doctor
Old 01-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #153
Paulie123
All Star Starter

4 May 2047

onlytheboxscore.com/Magpies
Miller injury a major setback for SCL champs
Posted by A.J. Grinch, @istolechristmas

The Magpies admitted themselves that they were fortunate with injuries last season on their way to the franchise’s first even championship. But the Achilles’ tendon injury suffered this week by Bob Miller suggests that perhaps that luck is running out. With Miller, Mal Brown and Alfonso Carranza, GM Billy DePodesta now has $40m of his 2047 payroll budget sitting on the sidelines for the long term.

After an electric start to the season, Miller has slumped, and was posting a sub-.700 OPS to date. But Miller’s impact was wider than his bat. He brought Glove Wizard standard fielding and leadership to the clubhouse.

DePodesta appears to have little room for manouver to deal with losing Miller. The Magpies’ salary commitments for this year total over $177m, and reports say that the ownership is unwilling to sanction additional spending to bolster the roster. Fortunately, DePodesta did invest in outfield depth this winter, and now he will have to use it. António Fernández has been recalled to the active roster in Miller’s place, and is playing in a platoon in right field with Al Elliott. With Madison off to a roaring 21-9 start, and Lansing’s spending on offense paying dividends so far, the Magpies’ chances of back-to-back championships already look slim.
Attached Images
Old 01-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #154
Paulie123
All Star Starter

8 May 2047

GM’s notebook - Series 11 and 12

Santa Fe 0-4 Magpies
Santa Fe 2-3 Magpies
Santa Fe 2-3 Magpies
Magpies 2-3 Madison
Magpies 1-5 Madison
Magpies 3-5 Madison

- Valentín Ortíz is having a tricky year as backup catcher (pathetic .167 OBP) and the scouting team are insistent that former top prospect Walton White is ready for the big time. So White gets the chance to show me what he can do. He takes Ortíz’s spot, and will play every third day vs lefties.
- White made his debut in the opening fixture of the Santa Fe series, and called a wonderful game for Jeremy Williams. Williams finished with 8.1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K. Guillermo Díaz went 2-4 with a home run and a double.
- Philip Givens was nearly as good the next day: 8 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 8 K.
- Michael O’Quinn’s walk-off solo HR in the 11th inning completed the sweep of the Outlaws.
- Jorge Cruz has rebounded from his poor debut season here. So far he has a 1.21 ERA from 15 appearances.
- Carlos Zúñiga has also been superb so far: .318/.384/.591.
- Carson City outfielder Marcos Osorio has a ridiculous .450 batting average after 140 PA so far this season.
- The Brown Bears were too good for us this week. They have the best record in the SCL for a reason. They are stacked with quality young 4*-5* players and will be the team to beat in the North Division the next few seasons. The ray of light for the rest of us is that their rotation is ageing.
- Our division is yet again proving to be the toughest in the league: Madison and Lansing have the best two records in the SCL.

Record: 18-18, 4th place, 7 GB from Madison
Old 01-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #155
Paulie123
All Star Starter

15 May 2047

GM’s notebook - Series 13 and 14

Baton Rouge 5-11 Magpies
Baton Rouge 0-2 Magpies
Baton Rouge 7-8 Magpies
Magpies 15-4 Carson City
Magpies 2-0 Carson City
Magpies 4-1 Carson City

- We scored 5 runs in the 3rd and 5 more in the 4th, and then cruised the rest of the way in the home opener against the Deltas.
- Matt Anderson is playing below his peerless best in defense. He already has as many errors (5) as in the whole of last season. He’s also hitting terribly (.468 OPS). This is a real worry.
- Nashville’s Bill Gilbert tossed a no hitter against Atlanta.
- Kevin Cantrell was incredible in the 2-0 win in the second game. He threw 8.1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 9 K. Take a bow, son.
- P.J. Hendrickson had another bad day in the final Baton Rouge game (1.2 IP, 7 H, 5 ER) and now has a 6.58 ERA - fortunately the offense recovered the deficit and we won 8-7. Meanwhile, Wesley Weaver has now thrown 10.1 scoreless innings out of the bullpen this season, and could be the next young pitcher to make the step up to the rotation; Hendrickson’s spot is definitely up for grabs at the moment.
- The 15-4 win over the Rattlesnakes was a magnificent team performance. Robinson Ortíz threw 8 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 9 K. Matt Anderson had 5 RBI. Enrique Limón scored 4 runs.
- The bullpen has a fantastic 1.64 ERA so far.
- Jeremy Williams had a career day to win a close duel with the Rattlesnakes’ veteran Sidney Berry in the 2-0 victory, going 8 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB.
- Not to be out-done by his colleagues, Cantrell was terrific again in the final game, hurling 8 innings for just a single run. Apart from Hendrickson, the other four in the rotation all have ERAs below 2.80.
- A brilliant week: we outscored the opposition 42-17 and showed real desire to get back in the playoff hunt.

This week: 6-0
Record: 24-18, 3rd place, 5 GB from Madison
Old 01-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #156
Paulie123
All Star Starter

21 May 2047

GM’s notebook - Series 15 and 16

Olympia 0-8 Magpies
Olympia 5-7 Magpies
Olympia 4-5 Magpies
Magpies 2-3 Salem
Magpies 1-3 Salem
Magpies 14-5 Salem

- It’s great that I keep noting down great performances by the starting pitchers. Philip Givens opened the home series versus Olympia with a complete game shutout. He’s now 4-2, 1.78 this year. Al Elliott went 3-3 with a triple, a double and a walk in the game.
- P.J. Hendrickson was a bit better than recent performances in the next game (6 IP for 3 ER), but we were headed for defeat until Carlos Zúñiga came in to pinch-hit in the bottom of the 9th and promptly smacked a walk-off 3-run homer.
- Tallahassee’s Ernesto Tavárez, who gave us trouble in the Cup Final Series, needs Tommy John surgery and will be out for over a year.
- The opening loss to Salem ended the win streak at 9.
- The offense piled it on in the big win to close out the week. Guillermo Díaz had 4 hits, and Michael O’Quinn, Jeremiah Harvey and António Fernández each had 3. Harvey has a .979 OPS this season and has been excellent. Glad I didn’t trade him!
- To sum up the strength of the North Division: we’re only 3rd in the division but we have the 3rd best record in the Western League.

This week: 4-2
Record: 28-20, 3rd place, 6 GB from Madison
Old 01-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #157
Paulie123
All Star Starter

22 May 2047

====================
SCLmagpiesnation.com
====================

DePodesta’s Anderson conundrum

By Maggie Pye | 22 May | 337 comments

At age 27, Magpies shortstop Matt Anderson should be entering his prime as a baseball player. General manager Billy DePodesta called him up to the major league roster before the start of last season, and Anderson was the starter at a critical position on the club’s championship team.

Anderson has always been a ‘defense first’ player. His array of skills in the infield are dazzling, once in a generation level. The scouts across the SCL unanimously rate him as 10/10 in the infield for range, arm, (not) committing errors and turning double plays. He won the Glove Wizard award in 2046 at the position by a huge margin. This year, however, his defense has merely rated ‘very good’. His measures for zone rating (+1.5) and defensive efficiency (1.015) are strong by most players’ standards, but well below last year’s performance and his usual level.

DePodesta has to judge when Anderson’s stellar defense is over-compensated for by his below-par hitting. With a career .239 OBP and .528 OPS, Anderson has consistently batted below replacement level. His .510 OPS this year is below even that poor career mark. When does the balance between his offense and defense tip to such an extent that DePodesta decides he needs an upgrade at the position?

Club sources tell MagpiesNation that trading Anderson has never been discussed by the front office. Even if literally true, that wouldn’t preclude landing an upgrade and shifting Anderson to a backup infielder and late-inning defensive specialist role. However, DePodesta’s hands are tied by the club’s budgetary pressures, and any new arrival would probably need to be a young, minimum salary shortstop. Possibly the Magpies will stick with Anderson this season come what may, and, if his performance remains stagnant, seek to use the budget headroom created by Mal Brown’s departure in November to find an improvement.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #158
Paulie123
All Star Starter

28 May 2047

GM’s notebook - Series 17 and 18

St. Paul 2-6 Magpies
St. Paul 4-7 Magpies
St. Paul 8-2 Magpies
Magpies 5-1 Phoenix
Magpies 6-0 Phoenix
Magpies 6-5 Phoenix

- Carlos Zúñiga is continuing to excel. He went 2-4 in the first game hosting St. Paul and is now batting .321, the 10th best average in the SCL.
- Enrique Limón is another hitter having a nice season. He went 3-5 in the 7-4 victory in game two and is now batting .298.
- Júlio Martínez bagged his 10th save in the same game.
- Derek Jenkins has been a big disappointment. After 24 innings pitched, he has a 5.85 ERA and 4.62 FIP. And he has the audacity to grumble about not being in the rotation! He has been sent down to the minor league roster to try and recover his confidence, and Tommaso Chigi returns to the big leagues in the longman bullpen role. Jenkins will certainly be back if any of my righties get injured. Or rather, any more of my righties.
- Our veteran former shortstop William Bird, now at Annapolis, won Eastern League player of the week.
- In the 6-0 win in Phoenix, Philip Givens dropped his ERA to 1.64 after throwing his second 6-hit complete game shutout in his last 3 starts.
- Al Elliott was only the double short of the cycle in the final game of the series.
- Next up we host a three-game set against joint division leaders Lansing: a chance to close the gap and see how we compare to the pace-setters.

This week: 5-1
Record: 33-21, 3rd place, 4 GB from Madison, Lansing
Old 01-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #159
Paulie123
All Star Starter

3 June 2047

GM’s notebook - Series 19 and 20

Lansing 3-8 Magpies
Lansing 6-1 Magpies
Lansing 1-2 Magpies
Magpies 3-2 Bismarck
Magpies 1-2 Bismarck
Magpies 3-4 Bismarck

- Tommaso Chigi got a standing ovation from the home crowd when he came to the mound for the first time this season, in relief during the 6-1 defeat to the Sharks. He pitched a scoreless inning.
- Kevin Cantrell threw 8 excellent innings for just 1 run on 6 hits in the 2-1 rubber game. The run and 3 of the hits came in a slightly shaky 1st inning, and he didn’t give the Sharks’ powerful offense a sniff after that.
- Philip Givens was fantastic again in the opener in Bismarck: 8 innings of 1-run ball.
- P.J. Hendrickson was close to getting demoted, but his 6.1 IP, 1 ER display against the Coyotes has earned him a reprieve for the moment.
- Robinson Ortíz took his first loss of the season in the final game of the week.
- The offense has had a poor run of games - we need to get back to scoring runs if we are going to close the gap on the Brown Bears and the Sharks.
- Our 272-196 run differential gives us a Pythagorean record of 39-21; that would put us just 2 games behind so we definitely have regained hope that we’re not out of it yet.

Record: 36-24, 3rd place, 5 GB from Madison
Old 01-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #160
Paulie123
All Star Starter

3 June 2047

(Reproduced courtesy of SCL At-Bat, the number one app for all the latest SCL news and scores)

Magpies agree contract extension with Limón
Versatile first baseman avoids arbitration at end of season

By Buster Oldknee, 2:53PM, 03 Jun 47

Enrique Limón has agreed a 3-year contract extension with the Des Moines Magpies worth a total of $27m, the club has confirmed in a statement issued today. Limón has been due to reach arbitration for the first time at the end of this season, but is now signed through to the end of the 2050 season, when he will be eligible for free agency.

Limón has become a valuable piece of the Magpies lineup as they chase consecutive SCL championships. The 24-year-old has a club-leading .378 on-base percentage and a fine .833 OPS mark. On defense, he has split his time this season between first base, which he typically plays against right-handed starting pitching, and his favoured left field position. The annual value of the contract has raised eyebrows, as many observers felt he would attract significantly higher compensation at an arbitration panel. Limón is known to hugely enjoy living and playing in Des Moines, which may have factored into his eagerness to stay with the club and accept an arguably below market rate salary.