Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.5.52 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special: Save 50% on OOTP 20!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Henry
Hall of Fame

Thanked 265x in 99 posts
1958 AL/NL/PCL Starter Kit

Sorta Maybe Coulda Shoulda

As an offshoot of the development of the 1903-1957 PCL database (see here and here) I started on a quickstart game set in 1958 assuming the PCL merged with the AL/NL instead of the Dodgers and Giants moving to the west coast. I lived in LA in 1956-57 when I was 9-10 years old and moved back to Ohio with high hopes the PCL would become the 3rd major league. When Brooklyn and New York moved west the following year, I was devastated - so this is to become my alternative universe

I've set up a historical 1958 league and restructured it into a 3 division configuration (AL/NL/PCL). I'm entering a 58-equivalent schedule for the PCL so each division can play independently, and hand entering the 1958 PCL players. All three "leagues" will pull from the same real-life rookie list. Fictional players will be avoided if at all possible.

I think i have all the issues resolved, but of course - there's always the chance I'll run into an issue I can't fix. Whether that issue stops me from completing the project or not remains to be seen.

I plan on posting updates here for those that are interested, and will also announce the release of the quick-start once it is complete.

At the moment i have about 70% of the schedule completed, and will move on to adding the PCL players next. I hope it turns out to be a successful project.

Last edited by Henry; 06-03-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Chicagofan76 (06-03-2011), No Pepper (06-03-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Henry
Hall of Fame

Thanked 265x in 99 posts
As expected, I've run into an issue I should have caught but didn't see till I started on the PCL rosters. By the way, the schedules are now complete for all leagues. I used the actual 1958 schedules for the AL and NL and used a mirror of the NL for the PCL. All three leagues (divisions) will play a 154 game "internal" schedule.

Back to the problem...

The 1958 PCL rosters are mostly players that never made it to the major leagues - but a few did. Those that did in the following years are already in the Lahman DB and will be Free Agents in those years in the quickstart game.

The only way to insure there is no duplication (player showing up in the FA list when he already is on a PCL team by way of the 1958 roster) is to complete the DB after 1958 for a number of years at least as long as the last player from 1958 joins the major leagues - and all these players would have to be added to the Lahman DB used by the quickstart. This would suddenly turn this into a huge project - once again pointing out the only way to do is right is to combine MLB and PCL DBs.

There a few semi-solutions...

1. Fill the PCL 1958 rosters with fictional players. This will insure those players that went to the show after 1958 (even for a short time) will do the same from the Lahman database (as FAs in the quickstart). The fictional players will eventually be diluted out of the quickstart game - even though a few of them might become prime players.

2. Do the same as above, but rename the fictional players to actual 1958 PCL players names to at least avoid the fictional player names from entering the game. Issue here is actual 1958 PCL players that did not eventually enter the game through the Lahman database will have a career path not tied to historic stats. The renamed players would, of course, stay true to position.

3. The third option is to enter the 1958 PCL rosters, but skip any players that show up in the Lahman DB in later years - allowing them to enter the quickstart based on history. This would likely shortchange the PCL rosters somewhat - and would require a handful of fictional players as fill-in.

4. Fourth option is to do the opposite of #3 - enter the PCL roster for 1958 and provide instructions on how to remove these players from the FA list in the year they show up from Lahman (since they will already be on one of the rosters at that point.

As you can see, there is no "easy" solution that is also 100% accurate

Given the pros and cons of each option, and considering the amount of work involved in each, I'm leaning toward the #2 solution. My thoughts are that the 1958 PCL players that are NOT in the Lahman database are (by definition of history) the lesser players of the entire group - so if we have to diminish anyone, that would be the likely group.

Still thinking about it but if anyone wants to chime in, I'm all ears.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Henry
Hall of Fame

Thanked 265x in 99 posts
I've opted for option #1 - fill the PCL '58 roster with fictional players. the primary reason I'm doing this is because the best players from 1958 on are already in the Lahman DB since they got to the Show either for a short time or permanently. In addition, the 1959 and forward MLB rookies will be distributed thru a draft, and trades will move real players into the PCL - so it won't take many years before the fictional players will disappear and be replaced by real historical players. I will preface the first name of all fictional players with an underscore so they aren't confused with historical players.

I am also adding 1958 logos and ballpark backdrops. I am providing the best possible ballparks I can for the PCL clubs.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
kev24fan
Major Leagues

Thanked 107x in 93 posts
This sounds good Henry. Can not wait till you get this done.
kev24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Henry
Hall of Fame

Thanked 265x in 99 posts
Getting close, I just added the ballparks - mostly from the Tony LaRussa OTB set. For the PCL clubs, it was a mix of OTB, 3 actual photographs, and a few fictional parks that were close to looking the same. Sure would be nice if someone set out to make a PCL ballpark set.

I made one small error - accidently hit "Finish Today" at one point (Jan 1st) and of course the Indians trade Hal Naragon (c) for Billy Klaus (ss). I could do the trade in reverse, but I think I'll let the users decide that depending how they want to play the Quickstart.

My next step is to make a copy and run it out a year or two to make sure all works well - then package it up
Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Henry
Hall of Fame

Thanked 265x in 99 posts
Test run shows about half the fictional players gone by 1962. Importing of historical rookies works thru a draft. If all goes well I should have this ready tomorrow sometime.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Henry
Hall of Fame

Thanked 265x in 99 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
Test run shows about half the fictional players gone by 1962. Importing of historical rookies works thru a draft. If all goes well I should have this ready tomorrow sometime.
Story goes never make promises you can't keep ...today turned out different that I expected, but I will get this ready in the next day or so.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Kronos
Major Leagues

Thanked 103x in 50 posts
Looking forward to this
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Henry
Hall of Fame

Thanked 265x in 99 posts
Here it is....

Jus Unzip the file into your Quickstart directory and all should be well.

I've played out 6 seasons and all seems to be ok. Real rookies will show up in the annual draft and most fictional PCL players tend to stay with the PCL teams with trading set to average. After 6 seasons, more than half of the 1958 PCL fictional players were gone.

FYI: Maris hit 57 homeruns in 1961

Have fun...

http://citygate.net/ootp/1958-AL-NL-PCL.ZIP
Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
Henry
Hall of Fame

Thanked 265x in 99 posts
FYI: You'll probably notice the Oakland Oaks are present even though they moved to Vancouver in 1956. Since this setup is an alternative history anyway, I chose to keep the Oaks in Oakland since they were a charter member of the PCL (1903), expecially since the only reason they left was because Oak Park was falling apart. Story goes each time a baseball hit the park, part of it fell off. I "pretended" that the city managed to rebuild the park in 57 to keep the team in town.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #11
Kronos
Major Leagues

Thanked 103x in 50 posts
Thanks for this, it has worked quite well.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Thanked 148x in 113 posts
Looking forward to trying this. It's cool to see so many interested in the sensible universe that might have existed had the PCL lived on!
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Henry
Hall of Fame

Thanked 265x in 99 posts
Played out April, May, and June of '58 so far...

... here's some results:

April

May

Let me know how your replays are turning out.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
Kronos
Major Leagues

Thanked 103x in 50 posts
I've simmed ahead to around 1977 and I've found that between 1962 and 1969 there is a real lack of talent coming in, some teams lost 100+ because they were top to bottom loaded with awful players, it gets better after 1969 because that's when MLB actually had 24 teams.

Just something to look out for.