Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.5.52 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special: Save 50% on OOTP 20!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-02-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 124x in 67 posts
Do two-way players work in PT?

Just a random question about the functionality of using a two-way player.

Say I have Ohtani in my starting rotation, but I also want him to play DH when he is not pitching - will the game ensure that he makes his scheduled start and remove him from the starting DH spot every 5 days? I have him slotted as a starter in the rotation and also as the starting DH - and i have the two-way player checkbox enable in strategy tab.

Anyone have experience with this? Just curious how it plays out by the AI, Id rather not have him miss a start and mess up my entire rotation or start guys that dont have 100% stamina in his place.

Thanks
bobbycockstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Thanked 354x in 208 posts
Yes. Just put him as a starting pitcher and at DH and he'll play both. The way I've seen it not work is to have them at a position and have them also as a middle reliever. I tried it with Jimmie Foxx, putting him at 1B and at MR, but he hasn't pitched a single inning yet. It might be that they have to be a SP in the rotation to do both, I'm not sure...
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
bobbycockstrong (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Thanked 10,522x in 4,137 posts
Yes, as a starter and position player, they will most likely not start in the field the day before during, or day after their start (they may start the day after sometimes depending on how "tiring" the start was). So ensure that you have a sub in your depth charts for them.

As a RP, the game won't "take them out of the lineup" to come in the bullpen, so you can't set your 1B to come in as a reliever, that won't work. Also, if they're a RP/bench bat, then we also don't really factor in the other one when deciding. So he'll come in relief when he wants to come in relief, or pinch hit when he's deemed to pinch hit, but you may get cases where he pinch hits and then your team runs out of relievers.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #4
BoofBonser26
Major Leagues

Thanked 126x in 81 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
Yes. Just put him as a starting pitcher and at DH and he'll play both. The way I've seen it not work is to have them at a position and have them also as a middle reliever. I tried it with Jimmie Foxx, putting him at 1B and at MR, but he hasn't pitched a single inning yet. It might be that they have to be a SP in the rotation to do both, I'm not sure...
I'm using Ohtani as my RH 1B in a platoon, and as a MR. His pitching has been very erratic - 8 appearances one year, 17 the next, 9 already so far this year. I can't remember if I've significantly adjusted his role.

Last edited by BoofBonser26; 01-03-2019 at 01:27 AM. Reason: specifying
BoofBonser26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 124x in 67 posts
Yeah its worked out for me Ohtani has started as scheduled (not the greatest pitching results in diamond) and then played DH in off days, where he has been crushing it thankfully making up for the pitching.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Clavette
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 127x in 75 posts
Yea the gold ohtani seems quite hit or miss.

Was one of my top players a couple seasons ago and the last season was -war both pitching and hitting. Bouncing back this season so far
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 124x in 67 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavette View Post
Yea the gold ohtani seems quite hit or miss.

Was one of my top players a couple seasons ago and the last season was -war both pitching and hitting. Bouncing back this season so far
Yeah for me i figured if he does ok as a 4th or 5th SP that will work (and he threw a few good games and a few poor ones), but he seems to do really well vs RHP so i have him as DH there, and a separate player as DH vs LHP.

He is super cheap too, i got him for ~1100 PP (and can sell him for 1000 any time i want via quick sell).
Old 01-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #8
Clavette
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 127x in 75 posts
I may have to consider platooning him. Have him as RF right now
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote