Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.5.52 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special: Save 50% on OOTP 20!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
BPS
All Star Reserve

Thanked 155x in 65 posts
Proposal

Rewards might be given to players who find ways to be successful although they have not spent money in PT and/or have not benefitted from great luck (drawing high-value players in the packs they get). If such rewards are offered, they might lead more PT players to keep actively playing instead of dropping out, something that likely benefits the PT environment.

Here’s what I propose: have leaderboard that acknowledges success independently of money spent or great luck. That is, rising high in this leaderboard is accomplished by, in part, skillfully using the little you have got. (Or, perhaps by luck independent of good draws of packs).

The ideas is that "there are many ways to play PT."

Obviously, implementing such a system will be more complicated that suggested here but, in any case, here's what this leaderboard might look like…

PPs bought+ PPs from silver/gold/etc from packs): 1000 or less
A. Winning percentage in silver leagues:
71.5% Boston Beans
71.1% Chicago Skyscapers
70.1% Podunk Fighters
Etc

B. Winning percentage in gold leagues
76.9% Atlanta Lakes
69.1% etc

C. Etc

PPs bought + PPs from silver/gold/etc from packs): 1001-2000

etc....

PPs bought + PPs from silver/gold/etc from packs): 2001-3000

I don't think the above leaderboard would reduce the number of players who give their money to OOTP Developments and, indeed, by creating a reason for more players to stay in PT, this might lead to a more active PT and, so, to more money to the OOTP developments.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
BPS
All Star Reserve

Thanked 155x in 65 posts
Of course, quantifying PP for draws from sets of cards drawn might be based on auction value or something like that.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
SeanBerry
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 23x in 12 posts
How do you determine great luck?

I've spent a total of $36 on my Diamond team.

I pulled a 96 OVR 1985 Dwight Gooden. First guy to ever sell the card. I set the market crazy high (600K)and slowly worked my way down and someone bought him for $250K.

He had never been sold before so while I was quite lucky to pull that card, I think I did a good job maximizing his value. I used that revenue and made sweeping upgrades to my 76-86 Diamond team and now they are on a 100 win pace. Up until that point, I had never pulled a black card and had only pulled two Diamond (Aranado and Ramirez).

Trying to define "luck" in this game will be difficult because we all have different standards.
SeanBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
AirmenSmith
All Star Starter

Thanked 330x in 194 posts
I support your logic but now i'm here to watch the Pay 2 win players start.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
AirmenSmith
All Star Starter

Thanked 330x in 194 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBerry View Post

I've spent a total of $36 on my Diamond team.

I pulled a 96 OVR 1985 Dwight Gooden. First guy to ever sell the card. I set the market crazy high (600K)and slowly worked my way down and someone bought him for $250K.

He had never been sold before so while I was quite lucky to pull that card, I think I did a good job maximizing his value. I used that revenue and made sweeping upgrades to my 76-86 Diamond team and now they are on a 100 win pace. Up until that point, I had never pulled a black card and had only pulled two Diamond (Aranado and Ramirez).

Trying to define "luck" in this game will be difficult because we all have different standards.
Great luck is defined as not spending real money? That's what i'm guessing.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
freedavebrown
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 82x in 48 posts
My sense is that OOTP is not going to want to do anything that could even remotely incentivize people not to spend money.

But for OOTP20 there should be an API available I think so it should be pretty easy for the community to come up with whatever leader boards we want.
freedavebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
traylor45 (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,269x in 2,472 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS View Post
PPs bought+ PPs from silver/gold/etc from packs): 1000 or less
Independently of OOTPD not going to do anything that puts more strain on servers by maintaining umpteen leaderboards for f.e. players in silver leagues that have spent from 3,000 to 3,999 PP … I'm not even sure I understand correctly what the above is supposed to mean?

So you don't even want people to sell the cards they pull on the market? What is if I pull a double gold (and I pulled Zack Wheeler THREE times)? If I sell them on the market, I get bopped to next leaderboard towards "filthy PP mogul"? If that is so, then this has to be the most senseless, pointless, valueless proposal I have read yet on these boards, and there have been many…

If that is not so, write full sentences so people know what you are on about…

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedavebrown View Post
But for OOTP20 there should be an API available I think so it should be pretty easy for the community to come up with whatever leader boards we want.
I will agree that the game needs an API for a lot of things, f.e. exporting your collection in readable format. The normal OOTP can already do stat dumps, there is no reason why PT wouldn't be able to do the same.
: 2 POWELL : 8 REECE : 10 BROWN : 15 HALL : 28 CASAS : 32 WEST : 46 SAITO

Resident Mets Cynic

Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Dxgarnett (01-02-2019), zrog2000 (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Thanked 508x in 301 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
If that is so, then this has to be the most senseless, pointless, valueless proposal I have read yet on these boards, and there have been many…
It's the "Jump to Conclusions Mat from Office Space" of message board ideas.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
cavacom (01-10-2019), Clavette (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
BPS
All Star Reserve

Thanked 155x in 65 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBerry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
Great luck is defined as not spending real money? That's what i'm guessing.
Defining luck is certainly hard both in PT and in life. But it does seem that spending of money is different from luck. But, the difference is not clear as the two--money and luck--clearly interact: more money means one might have a higher chance to benefit from luck by buying more packs, and good luck in cards gained from packs can lead to more money.

In any case, my thinking is that luck outside the actual baseball sims might be possibly be quantified, although this would obviously be very imperfect done. (If money spent on the game could be combined with a measure of luck is, I guess, an additional tricky issue but I think it could be done in a not-completely-arbitrary fashion.)

If, waving a magic wand, this was done, then PT players could be ranked according to how well they have done with a set amount of luck/money.

No reason exists that the developers would ever want to spend the time to accomplish the above, but I know that, if they wanted to, they have the talent to find a way to make it happen. As it now stands, I "self-reward" myself in making what I think is the best use of my zero dollars paid for PT and for my lack of luck in getting very good cards in packs. But, the actual reward for me of PT is that, in trying to make the best use of what I've started with, is that I've been forced to pay more attention to the actual nuances of player abilities and the various calculations made intended to measure player performance. I've not done this too much in solo play as I do well enough in solo play to spend much time in looking at the details. I'm lazy after all.