Home | Webstore
Latest News: Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now - FHM 4 Available

OOTP Baseball 19 is Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
tenthreeleader
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 14x in 10 posts
Pitcher save bug

Hi, all:

New to OOTP 19 (I downloaded earlier versions but to my annoyance never got fully into it until now, so where the heck have I been?) but I had something odd happen to me in my Chattanooga Lookouts Southern League season.

I'm up 3-0 in the top of the eighth at home and my setup guy gets me out of the inning.

At the half inning I insert my warmed-up closer into the game in anticipation of the ninth inning and then proceed to play the last of the eighth, where I score a single run to make it 4-0.

With the score 4-0, my closer then retires the side in order in the ninth but is credited with a save. This shouldn't happen since he doesn't meet any of the scoring criteria for a save.

My thought is that since I placed him in the lineup with the score 3-0, the game makes him eligible for a save and since he finished the game, he would meet one of the criteria. But he never actually pitched in a save situation.

Apologies if this is a known issue.
tenthreeleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
ohiodevil
All Star Starter

Thanked 454x in 311 posts
Sounds like you may have made the pitching change while your team was at bat in the bottom of the 8th, so the game looks at that as the closer was inserted in the 8th inning (even though you were batting) and you were up by 3 when he came into the game. See below for what most likely caused this to happen.

The Save Rule

He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
He is not the winning pitcher; and
He qualifies under one of the following conditions:

He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
He enters the game, regardless of the score, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck; or
He pitches for at least three innings. (The word "effectively" has been removed from the MLB rules.)

It sounds like a minor bug, but in real life teams don't insert their closer until the start of the 9th and you probably wanted to make sure you inserted him into the game so he didn't get tired in bullpen.....I do the same thing when I manage my games.

Last edited by ohiodevil; 07-09-2018 at 11:37 AM.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
tenthreeleader (07-11-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Thanked 8,076x in 3,124 posts
Yes, officially he wouldn't enter until the 9th and so it should not be a save, but it's been a long-standing issue that we only process the situation to evaluate wins/holds/saves when you actually drag them in. Someday we'll fix this. Best solution is to just wait for the start of the next inning - relievers don't tire while warming up in your half inning, so there's no penalty to waiting
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
tenthreeleader (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #4
tenthreeleader
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 14x in 10 posts
That's a helpful thing to know with regard to relievers not tiring during my half of the inning -- which was one reason I warmed him up early. Now all I have to do is remember

And actually, ohiodevil, the other reason I put in my closer at the half inning was that I didn't want to forget since I have the auto-sit dialog enabled in my save. (At my age, the mind is the first thing to go!)

Thanks for the help, gentlemen. Minor league managing can be frustrating but fun!
tenthreeleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
mitchkenn
All Star Starter

Thanked 947x in 608 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthreeleader View Post
(At my age, the mind is the first thing to go!)
i thought it was the second thing. i just can't remember the first one ...
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
RchW (07-12-2018)