Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 464
Thanks: 995
Thanked 186x in 111 posts
1871 Minor Leagues

Will the minor leagues expand when the Major League expands? Or should no minor leagues be created along with the historical 1871 Major League?

I plan on doing AAA, AA, and A. Thoughts?
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer
 
Eckstein 4 Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The OC
Posts: 5,925
Thanks: 100
Thanked 162x in 102 posts
If you're only using historical players you will have a tough time staffing three levels of minors. Moreover, it will be rather pointless, because most players will debut in the database when they're about ML-ready.

I would only use minors if doing a historical-fictional league, in which case it would probably be a lot of fun, although it'll take you some time to set it up.
__________________
Looking for an insomnia cure? Check out my dynasty thread, Baseball History, and eventually the rise of the Dodgers.
Eckstein 4 Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
NCBeachBum
All Star Starter
 
NCBeachBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Topsail Island, NC, USA
Posts: 1,040
Thanks: 27
Thanked 171x in 93 posts
Yeah, I'll go a step further than Eck... For several years, you would hae trouble staffing even one level of minors.
__________________
And ain't that a shame, shame, shame
Shame, shame, the way you do
Oh, it's a shame, shame, shame
Shame, shame on you

NCBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 464
Thanks: 995
Thanked 186x in 111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckstein 4 Prez View Post
If you're only using historical players you will have a tough time staffing three levels of minors. Moreover, it will be rather pointless, because most players will debut in the database when they're about ML-ready.

I would only use minors if doing a historical-fictional league, in which case it would probably be a lot of fun, although it'll take you some time to set it up.
I should have clarified. That's the plan. I don't mind fictional players intermingling with historical players.
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer
 
Eckstein 4 Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The OC
Posts: 5,925
Thanks: 100
Thanked 162x in 102 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian Fields View Post
I should have clarified. That's the plan. I don't mind fictional players intermingling with historical players.
Oh. Then go for it anytime I guess. The game won't do it for you though. You can do as much or as little as you want - there's a ton of information out there, some of which is helpful. Here is the list of all known minor leagues from baseball-reference.com.
__________________
Looking for an insomnia cure? Check out my dynasty thread, Baseball History, and eventually the rise of the Dodgers.
Eckstein 4 Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
bayouballer1
Minors (Single A)
 
bayouballer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I have just started a historical/fiction league and had to add a huge number of plyers in order to fill our AAA roster, which is acting as a B team.
bayouballer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer
 
Eckstein 4 Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The OC
Posts: 5,925
Thanks: 100
Thanked 162x in 102 posts
Yeah, early on you'd have basically 90% fictional players and 10% historical. I would also worry that unless you got the creation modifiers exactly right, either the fictional players would eventually take over the big leagues or they'd never break into the bigs unless there weren't enough historical players (either of which may actually be what you want).
__________________
Looking for an insomnia cure? Check out my dynasty thread, Baseball History, and eventually the rise of the Dodgers.
Eckstein 4 Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 464
Thanks: 995
Thanked 186x in 111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckstein 4 Prez View Post
Oh. Then go for it anytime I guess. The game won't do it for you though. You can do as much or as little as you want - there's a ton of information out there, some of which is helpful. Here is the list of all known minor leagues from baseball-reference.com.
Oh yeah, I've got my template set, and uniforms installed. It's all good. Can you add a league down the road though or are you stuck with what you construct to begin with? Obviously the Majors expand as history happens, but what about the minors?
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer
 
BaseballMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,472
Thanks: 68
Thanked 495x in 314 posts
I think i will have the minor leagues without any affiliation to major league teams till the 1900's. I just think of them as my fictional leagues and block fictional players from making the Majors. But if i did that what would happen to players not on the active roster if a team had no minor league team.
Would they be on a reserve roster?
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 464
Thanks: 995
Thanked 186x in 111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I think i will have the minor leagues without any affiliation to major league teams till the 1900's. I just think of them as my fictional leagues and block fictional players from making the Majors. But if i did that what would happen to players not on the active roster if a team had no minor league team.
Would they be on a reserve roster?
Can you do that? Block fictional players some years and then flip the switch, if you will, and let them go into the majors?
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #11
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer
 
BaseballMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,472
Thanks: 68
Thanked 495x in 314 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian Fields View Post
Can you do that? Block fictional players some years and then flip the switch, if you will, and let them go into the majors?
Im not sure. I thought you could block fictional players from making the majors but my concern is that if the minor league teams are not assigned to a major league team will the players not on the active roster be on the reserve roster or on a minor league team.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
David Ball
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 281
Thanks: 2
Thanked 51x in 37 posts
I would have thought that if you create a minor league and then disaffiliate all the teams, the parent teams would wind up with neither reserve rosters nor farm teams to develop their players, but by experiment I find that's not the case, they do have reserve rosters.

So you can do this without handicapping the major clubs, but what you get is more like a foreign league than American minor leagues, in the sense that there is no interaction at all with the major leagues. You might perhaps just as well run a single historical league and a fictional league in a separate universe.

And the disaffiliated league is exceptionally, excessively stable. Minor clubs are supposed to be run by parent teams, so once they are orphaned they're really not run at all. They pick up released players but don't perform trades, either with the major clubs or each other. They don't accept players on option from the major league clubs. The major teams appear to take picks in the rule 5 draft only from other teams' farm systems, so the disaffiliated minors aren't bothered by the draft (and I did this without blocking fictional players). The rosters just remain very stable. And judging by the stats of some RL players that snuck through onto the minor league rosters, there's no significant difference in quality of play between the major teams and the nominal minors.

You can also create a fictional league as a graft on to a historical league and then downgrade it to AAA. The results seem more satisfactory, in that the teams manage their rosters in the normal way, but I found it impossible to get the AAA league to behave anything like a minor league. That may not be what you're after anyway.

As an observation, though, the game just doesn't seem able to simulate the workings of independent minor leagues, which for the most part, although they were not subsidiary farm teams, nevertheless lived by developing young players and then selling them for cash at a profit. Even when they didn't want to sell players, they were usually subject to a draft that compelled them to. No cash sales = no independent minors.
David Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer
 
BaseballMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,472
Thanks: 68
Thanked 495x in 314 posts
Actually i think that would work for me. I dont really crare if the minor leagues act exactly like the minor leagues in the 19th century. I dont think the minor leagues were the same back then as they are today anyway and
i doubt any major team was using them that much as a farm team, Although from what ive read there was something like it but i dont remember exactly and will have to reread that chapet in the book im reading.
Anyways thanks for the info and thats really what i want. When i get to the 1900's then i want the minor leagues to act like minor leagues.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
plannine
All Star Reserve
 
plannine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 526
Thanks: 20
Thanked 14x in 13 posts
Deleted!
__________________
Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa - Casey Stengel

Last edited by plannine; 05-01-2010 at 09:55 PM.
plannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 464
Thanks: 995
Thanked 186x in 111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Deleted!
Ah... interesting. I'm not necessarily looking for historical accuracy. I don't mind having ahistorical affiliated minor league teams. The system is quite flexible though, which is good to know.

The idea I like is to play from 1871 or from some point up until 1901 and have it setup like it would be in later years to provide a similar system throughout the years which includes at the very least all the Negro league players. I don't mike Asians players either, so they can play too. I just want a continuity in structure from beginning to the end. Replaying the major leagues exactly as was doesn't interest me as much unless it's in shorter time frame, like a certain player's or manager's career, etc.

Thanks for the knowledge.
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #16
plannine
All Star Reserve
 
plannine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 526
Thanks: 20
Thanked 14x in 13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian Fields View Post
Ah... interesting. I'm not necessarily looking for historical accuracy. I don't mind having ahistorical affiliated minor league teams. The system is quite flexible though, which is good to know.

The idea I like is to play from 1871 or from some point up until 1901 and have it setup like it would be in later years to provide a similar system throughout the years which includes at the very least all the Negro league players. I don't mike Asians players either, so they can play too. I just want a continuity in structure from beginning to the end. Replaying the major leagues exactly as was doesn't interest me as much unless it's in shorter time frame, like a certain player's or manager's career, etc.

Thanks for the knowledge.

Sorry bout deleting (my reply), but after 3 or 4 edits, i'd completely lost my train of thought and was rambling (rather then the 10 word reply I started with!)and none of my original (and forgotten) comment was left.
__________________
Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa - Casey Stengel
plannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #17
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 464
Thanks: 995
Thanked 186x in 111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Sorry bout deleting (my reply), but after 3 or 4 edits, i'd completely lost my train of thought and was rambling (rather then the 10 word reply I started with!)and none of my original (and forgotten) comment was left.
No worries. I was able to read part of your post.
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments