Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 04-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 162x in 102 posts
For those interested in old-time baseball and history

Yeah, I know not that many people want to read about the intricate details of 1871 baseball. But for those who do I just started a blog (link is in my sig) where I'm going to be starting a new 1871 league using the seemingly improved OOTP 11 historical import to go back through baseball history.

It may move a little slowly, as I'm stopping to focus on the real history of the time that I find interesting, and I'll have to figure out how to incorporate the fictional history that will be generated with real-life events, but hopefully that will be part of the fun.

If this sounds interesting, check out the link (and learn just how wrong you are). I'm just finishing up the opening previews and then will get started.

Oh, and it's real teams (the 9 actual teams rather than the 8 OOTP gives you), real players starting on those teams, and real as-played schedules.
MrEndshiftresign (04-20-2010), risp2out (04-20-2010)
Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,077x in 719 posts
Doesn't using the as played schedules affect pitcher fatigue though?

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Doesn't using the as played schedules affect pitcher fatigue though?
Not much in most cases. The game is able to raise their endurance to the point where they can pitch every couple days and be just fine. There are one or two instances in early baseball where a team would play like three days in a row, but I can live with the fatigue on those instances - frankly, those guys were probably pretty worn out in reality.

By the time teams started playing nearly every day (the late 1870s) there are usually enough pitchers in the database for it not to matter. I've always used the as-played schedules and never had many problems with them.
Cryomaniac (04-15-2010)
Old 04-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 495x in 314 posts
If you use the real players that played on the real teams then things shouldnt be effected too much since the players are playing the same amount of games as they did in real life. I mean you can have Radbourn win 60 games but you cant have a pitcher who only played 5 games for a team that played 29 games do it. If you let teams draft then you might have to watch and make sure every team as a pitcher.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
mjj55409
All Star Reserve

Thanked 243x in 175 posts
Hi Eck,

I'll definitely be following along.

Would you mind outlining the process you used to setup the DB? I've been experimenting with this, and I'm having trouble with the transition from one season to the next. I'd like the players to debut with their original teams, but I either get all the players on the first team, or none of the players on any teams (all in the FA pool). I'm hoping I'm just missing something simple.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 04-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjj55409 View Post
Hi Eck,

I'll definitely be following along.

Would you mind outlining the process you used to setup the DB? I've been experimenting with this, and I'm having trouble with the transition from one season to the next. I'd like the players to debut with their original teams, but I either get all the players on the first team, or none of the players on any teams (all in the FA pool). I'm hoping I'm just missing something simple.

Thanks,
Michael
You're probably going to hate my answer.

I have to put them on the correct teams by hand each season. So I just let the game dump them all in the FA pool, then manually assign them to the teams on which they debuted. (This is a pretty tedious process in big expansion years like 1875, 1882, and 1884.)

Other than that I just use the regular database with no changes. Oh wait - I actually make one other change. For players whose batting handedness is unknown, the game makes them switch hitters. I change all of those to right-handed batters (again, by hand), or left-handed if they are known to throw left-handed.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckstein 4 Prez View Post

I have to put them on the correct teams by hand each season. So I just let the game dump them all in the FA pool, then manually assign them to the teams on which they debuted. (This is a pretty tedious process in big expansion years like 1875, 1882, and 1884.)

Other than that I just use the regular database with no changes. Oh wait - I actually make one other change. For players whose batting handedness is unknown, the game makes them switch hitters. I change all of those to right-handed batters (again, by hand), or left-handed if they are known to throw left-handed.
Hey Eck you may not have to do it by hand. I dont know if it will work for XI but i know this method works for 10. Check out the 19th century guide thread i started in the historical 10 forum. Now the first year you will either have to draft or assign players to correct teams or whats easier is just to delete the teams and import the teams for that year. But after that the players should go to their teams.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Hey Eck you may not have to do it by hand. I dont know if it will work for XI but i know this method works for 10. Check out the 19th century guide thread i started in the historical 10 forum. Now the first year you will either have to draft or assign players to correct teams or whats easier is just to delete the teams and import the teams for that year. But after that the players should go to their teams.
I actually saw your guide and thought it was a very helpful step-by-step process. By then I'd already set up enough leagues to know how to do it, but when I first created the framework for this one (back in OOTP 10) I used your guide to double-check and make sure I hadn't forgotten anything.

My problem with using that method to get real players to the real teams is aesthetic: I hate the way the Lahman database names defunct teams with the city and number. (SL2, NY3, etc.) I know I'd need to keep those team abbreviations to keep the players importing to the correct teams, and I would rather spend an hour or so each season putting the players on their teams than have to look at teams being referred to with that city-number naming convention.

So yeah, I'm a little anal about my league.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
mjj55409
All Star Reserve

Thanked 243x in 175 posts
Quote:

Which is the way I did it in the pre-OOTP6 dark ages, so at least it's not an unfamiliar process.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I actually saw your guide and thought it was a very helpful step-by-step process. By then I'd already set up enough leagues to know how to do it, but when I first created the framework for this one (back in OOTP 10) I used your guide to double-check and make sure I hadn't forgotten anything.

My problem with using that method to get real players to the real teams is aesthetic: I hate the way the Lahman database names defunct teams with the city and number. (SL2, NY3, etc.) I know I'd need to keep those team abbreviations to keep the players importing to the correct teams, and I would rather spend an hour or so each season putting the players on their teams than have to look at teams being referred to with that city-number naming convention.

So yeah, I'm a little anal about my league.
It might take some time but couldnt you just make your own abbreviation for each team. Then copy and paste over the team you are renaming in the other files? I think you would have to do it for the Teams, Franchise, batting, pitching, fielding files. I mean if its just mainly a cosmetic thing.
It might not work but it might be a hell of a lot easier if it worked. Less work you have to do in running your league is the more time most of us might get in enjoying the dynasty reports youve written.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 911x in 450 posts
How do you properly model 19th century hobbits?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn
You bastard....
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
How do you properly model 19th century hobbits?
Isn't that what those Thrifty leagues are all about?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 911x in 450 posts
We're too boring for hobbitses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn
You bastard....
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote