Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Bigdummie
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 25x in 15 posts
1960 historical sim

Are there any tricks to starting a 1960 sim and using the correct financial system that was in place then? I would like to keep the player salaries as close to historically posible if it can be done. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Bigdummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,118x in 585 posts
By default the game will use historical strategy, finances, and league totals modifiers, which help keep statistics accurate overall. You should have no problems if you use the historical creation wizard.

However, please be aware that if you want a true simulation that includes a lack of free agency and more complete roster rules, you will need to go into advanced mode and turn off free agency. You may also need to alter some of the other settings and create a reserve roster size, waiver period rule, designated for assignment period, turn on the rule 5 draft and enable minor league option years. I believe that all of these things were in place in 1960, except for the reserve roster, which is only used for OOTP purposes when you don't have minor leagues under your historical major league.

I'm working on a new guide for historical game creation, but I won't have it done until the end of the weekend. In the meantime, the manual will explain all of the league options that you have available.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
golander40 (04-16-2010), skunkle333 (04-21-2010)
Old 04-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
SteveP

Thanked 424x in 316 posts
I have played a lot of OOTP in that era, so let me give you a little perspective on one dimension: salaries.

The good news is that the financial data that was developed for OOTP10 comes remarkably close to providing realistic salaries. I didn't think it could be done, but somehow it was.

The problem is that the financial model built into the game is not designed to properly handle the pre-free agency era. So what happens to salaries over time isn't quite what would have been the case in real life. Basically, everyone gets a salary increase, every year, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case back then. Plus the Team Salary Report can be a little misleading.

There is no magic answer for that, but I'll tell you what I do, which I happen to like for that period. It isn't at all realistic, and yet it produces pretty realistic results with one exception. What I do is set the time required for free agency to 12 years. I set the time required for FA in the minors to 8 years. And I set arbitration to 4 years. What you get are salaries for each player that look pretty realistic from year to year. What you also get are older players becoming free agents. You might not like that. But even the results of that aren't always that far-fetched. FWIW.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Bigdummie
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 25x in 15 posts
Smile

Thanks for the info, I do like the suggestions. Not sure exactly which way to go, but both ways are pretty good. Thanks for your replys.
Bigdummie is offline   Reply With Quote