Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Fictional Simulations

OOTP 20 - Fictional Simulations Discuss fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #321
alphington
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 13x in 7 posts
Thanks, any lowering of the difficulty level sounds good to me I'll check that I'm importing according to the instructions and so if I do this just after the game creation then all teams should start with a correctly set up park. I will also adjust capacities as you mention.

I've complicated my design slightly by locating the two divisions roughly NE and SSW (see image) in a parallel universe where parts of Central and South America developed economically close to the level of the States! So ballparks must be found for the likes of Havana, Caracas and so on (which is why I thought about the weather as a factor). That's also why I've been looking at the fictional parks.

Thanks again and of course, best wishes for the Brewers!
Attached Images
alphington is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
BirdWatcher (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 11:37 PM   #322
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

Thanked 764x in 533 posts
First round draft pick progress report: 1966

Some time ago we took a look at the progress thus far of the players chosen in the 1st round of the 1965 WPK amateur draft.

The recent retirement of Gary Roop reminded me that now might be a good time to do the same for the 1966 draft.

While it is still early in the history of the WPK and too soon to know how the drafts held so far will pan out in the long run, at this stage of things the 1966 draft, at least as measured by the success of the first round picks, looks like it might be the draft others are measured against going forward.

An Overview:
The 1966 draft was pitching heavy at the top as the first seven picks were all pitchers, and every single one has developed into a big league role. The first position player chosen- high school shortstop Ray Mahony who was picked by Brooklyn at #8- gave up his career before it really even began, having played 10 games in the Rookie League. But a few others, particularly Justin Vargas, Greg Koenig, and Eric Taylor, are developing into stars in the league. Two players from the 1966 first round- Mahony and starting pitcher Kirk Sullivan-retired without ever playing in the WPK. But every other player from this draft has at least earned a small time in the WPK and many are really only just beginning their big league journey.

The Stars:
The first player chosen in the 1966 draft was starting pitcher Mike Stagner out of San Antonio College. He was chosen by the Milwaukee Cadets and in 1973, at the age of 29, Stagner has been an All-Star twice and this year is off to an amazing start in a season that favors hitters, with a 14-1 start and a WPK best 1.87 ERA. The durable power pitching righty won 19 games in 1970 and has a career WAR of 25.2, best of any player so far from the first round of this draft class.
Name:  Screenshot (2053).jpg
Views: 43
Size:  190.5 KB

In the long run the 25-year old right fielder Justin Vargas, of the Boston Berserkers, may end up being the best of this class. He already has won a league MVP and is a two-time all-star. Vargas has an impressive speed/power combination and is a decent defensive player. He had a great season in 1971 when he lead the league in batting average at .353 and had a WAR of 6.9. This season, he is already up to a 4.7 WAR and is on track for possibly another MVP season with a 10.2 WAR. He is hitting .346/.407/.640 with 20 homers and 12 stolen bases. He is one of the big reasons the Berserkers have been playing leap frog with Jacksonville all season for best record in the WPK. (Vargas was chosen at #11 by the L.A. Spinners and came to Boston in an off-season trade in 1966 which sent the now retired pitcher Brian Bauer to LA. where he only pitched in 8 games.) Vargas career WAR thus far: 22.6.
Name:  Screenshot (2054).jpg
Views: 45
Size:  188.9 KB

Speaking of the Jacksonville Wolf Pack, their 1966 pick (#13), center fielder Greg Koenig is a 3-time All-Star and has the second highest WAR thus far among the 1st round picks from this class at 23.1. At age 28 and injury prone, Koenig's best seasons may be behind him but he's an excellent defender, has great speed, and remains a decent hitter and shouldn't be written off yet.
Name:  Screenshot (2057).jpg
Views: 47
Size:  189.5 KB

The Busts:
Kirk Sullivan, chosen at #10 by the San Francisco Velocity, was considered an under-developed but potentially elite pitcher coming out of the University of Texas at Arlington, with scouts projecting him as ending up with incredible control, tremendous stuff, and well above average movement. But he never developed, playing 3 years in the minors, never getting above single A, and putting up 6.9 WAR. The Grand Prairie, Texas native retired from professional baseball in October of 1969.
Name:  Screenshot (2055).jpg
Views: 49
Size:  140.1 KB

One to Watch:
Mark Marple, the 28-year old Seattle relief pitcher, has one of the best fastballs in the WPK and his stuff is electric. Control can be an issue and his movement is just a bit above average, but he led the league in saves 1972, is a great leader, and while his K/9 numbers are down this year he is still very much one to watch.
Name:  Screenshot (2056).jpg
Size:  182.5 KB

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 07-02-2019 at 11:47 PM.
BirdWatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:33 AM   #323
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

From triumph to tragedy, the end of the line for Hartwig

On May 16th of this year Ray Hartwig pitched the third perfect game in WPK history as a member of the Jacksonville Wolf Pack.

Now, less than two months later, Hartwig suffers a career-ending torn labrum in his throwing arm.
Name:  Capture 930.PNG
Views: 46
Size:  321.9 KB

The 28-year old native of Detroit, a well-known jokester in the WPK, may laugh about this someday but today it is hard for anyone to see the humor in the situation.
Name:  Screenshot (2058).jpg
Views: 44
Size:  179.8 KB

Hartwig had a career year last season as he went 16-8 with a 2.83 ERA and while his ERA was higher thus far in 1973 (3.52) he had a fine 12-3 record, which gave him the second most wins in the WPK after Mike Stagner (14-1.)
Name:  Screenshot (2059).jpg
Views: 48
Size:  165.4 KB

It is a sad ending for a well-liked player.
Thank you for this post:
alphington (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #324
Palaaemon
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 60x in 34 posts
Hey Bird,

I am just curious about what you are seeing in the overall power levels (2b, 3b and hrs). Obviously we are not seeing any significant increases with any your players unfortunately. Except for possibly doubles with one or two I believe.

As you, I and the guy down street know by using 1987 stats, we should be seeing outlier power increases across the board with more than likely increased scoring all around, not just your team.

I know it's only a very small sample size you have shown with pitcher snapshots but it looks like the best ones you have shown have maintained and there could be several reasons for that. Your pitchers have shown ERA increases, which I would hazard to guess are roughly a .5 run ERA increase over their norm (perhaps a tad more). I am going off of memory here. I really should have been keeping track of the other random pitchers as we have gone through this year. No matter though because the sample size is so small as to tell us very little.

Don't dig too deep right now. Just grab a few tidbits as you have time. I would wait until after the season is over to get the full picture. I just think with the outlier seasons it is interesting to take a look at the effects.

Thanks for your time man, have a good day!
BirdWatcher (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #325
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaaemon View Post
Hey Bird,

I am just curious about what you are seeing in the overall power levels (2b, 3b and hrs). Obviously we are not seeing any significant increases with any your players unfortunately. Except for possibly doubles with one or two I believe.

As you, I and the guy down street know by using 1987 stats, we should be seeing outlier power increases across the board with more than likely increased scoring all around, not just your team.

I know it's only a very small sample size you have shown with pitcher snapshots but it looks like the best ones you have shown have maintained and there could be several reasons for that. Your pitchers have shown ERA increases, which I would hazard to guess are roughly a .5 run ERA increase over their norm (perhaps a tad more). I am going off of memory here. I really should have been keeping track of the other random pitchers as we have gone through this year. No matter though because the sample size is so small as to tell us very little.

Don't dig too deep right now. Just grab a few tidbits as you have time. I would wait until after the season is over to get the full picture. I just think with the outlier seasons it is interesting to take a look at the effects.

Thanks for your time man, have a good day!
Good question.
When I'm in front of the game tonight I'll give a more complete answer but my sense is that HR's are definitely up around the league and at least one, and possibly a few, players are on pace to break the WPK single season HR record.
But yes, unfortunately, that has not translated to the Brewers yet.
My sense is that we are likely among the league leading teams in doubles and triples, but again I'll have to double check that. But given that we rank at or near the top in most categories other than HR's (and, oddly, stolen bases) I think it's likely that our extra base hits that don't leave the yard are pretty high in comparison to other teams. And we continue to hover around .300 for team batting average.
But definitely more specifics later.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #326
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

A look at mid-season (roughly) team statistics

Name:  Capture 931.PNG
Size:  454.8 KB
Name:  Capture 932.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  74.2 KB

In a season in which offense is up in the WPK and at least 2 teams in the league are on pace for 200 HR's, the Brewers have the fewest HR's in all of the WPK at 40 (with 78 games in the books.)

And yet, in spite of their lack of the long ball, the Brewers are 3rd in the MGL in runs scored and 4th overall in the WPK.
Some of the reasons why:
The Brewers have a team batting average of .297. The second best in the WPK is the SJL's San Antonio Keys at .276. Third is tie between Washington and Charlotte at .274. The overall WPK batting average is .261.

The Brewers have a .352 team OBP. WPK overall OBP is .326. The Brewers are even 2nd in the MGL (though 5th overall) in SLG at .404.
It helps that they have hit a total of 144 doubles, easily the best in the WPK. Although their 16 team triples is a fairly average total, they also are one of the best base running teams in the WPK.

And in this high-octane offensive environment, the Brewers pitching remains pretty impressive as the have allowed the 2nd fewest runs in the MGL, have the 2nd best FIP, and are 1st in pitching WAR and strikeouts.

Name:  Capture 933.PNG
Views: 41
Size:  458.7 KB
Name:  Capture 934.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  81.5 KB
Old 07-04-2019, 12:08 AM   #327
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

Five hit, five RBI day for prospect Gonzalez

Name:  Capture 935.PNG
Views: 37
Size:  335.2 KB

The man many believe is the Brewers top minor league prospect, outfielder Jorge Gonzalez, got off to a bit of a slow start when he was promoted in mid-May from class A Bainbridge to AA Nashville, but he has been heating up since early June, and today he went 5 for 5 with 1 HR and 5 RBI in a win against the Hiram Whitecaps (San Francisco Velocity).

Gonzalez has the looks of a potentially premiere big league hitter as well as a plus defender in left field. The big question now surrounds his power potential, which the Brewers scouting staff sees as above average, and whether or at least when he will develop that part of his game.
Name:  Screenshot (2060).jpg
Views: 40
Size:  183.3 KB

Some look down the road and see a dominant Brewers outfield with Gonzalez in left, Joe McPhillips manning center, and Josh Schaeffer roaming right field in Centennial Stadium and at parks around the MGL.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #328
Palaaemon
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 60x in 34 posts
Happy 4th of July!

Hope it's a safe and enjoyable one.
BirdWatcher (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #329
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

Quote:
Happy 4th of July!

Hope it's a safe and enjoyable one.
Thanks!
It will be quite safe for me as I'm back home after an early morning hike and will just be playing OOTP, listening to music, etc. the rest of the day. Which, for me, means it will also be quite enjoyable.

Hope you have a wonderful 4th!
Thank you for this post:
Palaaemon (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #330
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

June 29-July 1, 1973, versus Charlotte

The Brewers conclude the month of June and begin the month of July with 3 games at home versus the reigning MGL champions, the Charlotte Sting. The Sting enter the series 3 games under .500 and in 7th place.

In game 1, the Brewers win a back-and-forth game, prevailing 8-7, having scored twice in the bottom of the 7th to take the lead and then getting good work from the 'pen to hold it. Bobby Erbakan (.368/.426/.509) got the big hit in the 7th and went 3 for 4 with 3 RBI in the game and hit his 11th double of the season. Harry Lyerly got the start for the Brewers and didn't fare well- giving up 7 runs (6 earned) on 7 hits in his 6 2/3rds innings pitched and did not get a decision in the game. Liann-wei Hua, Jaden Francis, and Jordan Stephens combined to get and secure the win. Hua was credited with the win, improving to 1-2 with 3.38 ERA. Stephens got the save, his 4th, and his ERA improved to 2.96. The Brewers hit 4 doubles, including 1 by Harry Lyerly (2nd of the season), 1 by Pat Rondeau, (his 15th) who went 3 for 5 in the game, and 1 by Mike Foster (his 6th.)
Name:  Capture 936.PNG
Views: 36
Size:  101.4 KB

The Brewers tried to fight back from a 5-0 deficit in the middle game of the series, but fell short and lost 5-3. Eric Johnson took the loss, giving up 5 runs on 12 hits in 5 1/3rd innings pitched. Johnson falls to 5-2 and sees his ERA rise to 4.26. John Flores (.254/.338/.380) was the offensive star for the Brewers in the loss, going 2 for 4, driving in all 3 runs with his 8th inning bases-loaded, 2-out, double (3).
Name:  Capture 937.PNG
Size:  96.8 KB

The month of July begins with a heart-breaking extra innings loss for the Brewers. The Brewers scored single runs in the the 1st and 2nd innings, and the Sting responded with the same in the 3rd and 4th. And then the bats fell silent for both teams, leaving them tied 2-2 at the end of the regulation 9 innings. Erik Sloan gave the Brewers a good start, working 7 innings, giving up 2 runs on 9 hits with 6 strikeouts and 2 walks. Jordan Stephens had a tough 10th inning, giving up 1 run on 3 hits, though also striking out 2 batters and issuing no walks. He takes the loss, dropping to 2-3 with a 3.20 ERA. Veteran third baseman Billy Turner (.309/.364/.494) was the best hitter for the Brewers in the game, going 2 for 4 and hitting his 2nd HR of the season. Pat Rondeau (.376/.391/.469) only went 1 for 5 but he stole two bases (consecutively, second followed by third, to get to 13 SB's for the season) and threw out a runner at third base. Rondeau also threw out a runner at 3rd in the 1st game of the series and now has 9 outfield assists between center field and right field this season.
Name:  Capture 938.PNG
Size:  98.4 KB

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 07-04-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #331
Palaaemon
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 60x in 34 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
Thanks!
It will be quite safe for me as I'm back home after an early morning hike and will just be playing OOTP, listening to music, etc. the rest of the day. Which, for me, means it will also be quite enjoyable.

Hope you have a wonderful 4th!
I will be doing much of the same today (minus the hike). Was playing OOTP and watching the Royals game until the rain delay then took a break and went to help my wife with her project.

You know it's interesting the things we loved as kids sometimes we end up no longer enjoying or worse as adults. I am speaking of fireworks. I used to love them in my younger years, not to say that I am THAT old (only 47). Now though I cannot stand them. I do love the joy it brings the nieces and nephews and other kids but they are not for me. Here in Kearney, Nebraska where we live (GREAT! place to live btw) you can buy and shoot off fireworks for about 6 days before and of course the 4th. The thing that chaps my wifes ass is that the ordinance says 10pm stoppage on weeknights and nobody seems to follow that going to 1-2am when my wife has to work early in the morning. So yea, good times.

Anyway, have I ever asked you what your favorite MLB team is. I always hate to assume but if I was a betting man (which I have been known to be a time or two) I would say Detroit. Do I win a prize? Ding ding ding!

Break time is over. Going back to check to see if the rain delay is over and continue playing again. Talk to you laters!
Old 07-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #332
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

Quote:
I will be doing much of the same today (minus the hike). Was playing OOTP and watching the Royals game until the rain delay then took a break and went to help my wife with her project.

You know it's interesting the things we loved as kids sometimes we end up no longer enjoying or worse as adults. I am speaking of fireworks. I used to love them in my younger years, not to say that I am THAT old (only 47). Now though I cannot stand them. I do love the joy it brings the nieces and nephews and other kids but they are not for me. Here in Kearney, Nebraska where we live (GREAT! place to live btw) you can buy and shoot off fireworks for about 6 days before and of course the 4th. The thing that chaps my wifes ass is that the ordinance says 10pm stoppage on weeknights and nobody seems to follow that going to 1-2am when my wife has to work early in the morning. So yea, good times.

Anyway, have I ever asked you what your favorite MLB team is. I always hate to assume but if I was a betting man (which I have been known to be a time or two) I would say Detroit. Do I win a prize? Ding ding ding!

Break time is over. Going back to check to see if the rain delay is over and continue playing again. Talk to you laters!
Well, I do live in Denver, so a 4th of July hike is nearly a requirement.
Not really, but I can say that as I was driving back into the city this morning there were long lines of cars at all the parks in the foothills. At least one of my co-workers left work early yesterday to head up to a campsite for the holiday weekend with her family. Such is Colorado life.

I hear stories about all the crazy fireworks going off in suburban neighborhoods here- and in my mother's neighborhood back in Michigan. Fortunately, I experience little of that here. Living in the inner city (not downtown, but downtown is very much within view from my neighborhood), for whatever reasons there isn't much of that in the neighborhood. Possibly because we can see and hear several organized fireworks displays from various vantage points (fireworks at Coors Field and municipal fireworks from a few different parks in the area.)

My childhood team was definitely the Tigers, but having lived here in Denver for nearly a quarter of a century, my primary loyalties are with the Rockies now. But I still keep tabs on the Tigers as that is one of the primary things my father and I have in common and can talk about endlessly. Also, my maternal grandfather, who in many ways I take after (older folks back in his small farming community in Michigan often tell me I look just like him), was a lifelong Cubs fan. And in his absence my mother now carries that torch. Though the longer I am a Rockies fan the less I can pull for the Cubs.

P.S. Oh, and Kearney. I've never spent any time there really but of course I have passed through there a few times on my way back and forth from Denver to Michigan. Though these days I take the U.S. Highway 36 route so don't touch Nebraska at all. (Just a whole 'lotta Kansas. Oh my.) But it seems like a nice town.

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 07-04-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Thank you for this post:
Palaaemon (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #333
Palaaemon
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 60x in 34 posts
Team Stats

After looking at your posting of the hitting and pitching team statistics there is, from what I can see, a significant offensive increase across the board. Conversely the pitching has seen the effects but not have all felt it equally. There are a few teams and even more individuals I believe that have weathered the storm.

I have not had time to go very deep into the numbers but just by eyeballing it San Antonio is the most dominant offensive team by far. They are ranked thusly :

SJL WPK
----- -----
Hits 1 2
2B 1 2
3B 4t 4t
HR 1 1
Runs 1 1
BB 1 4
SO 5t 12t
SB% 19t 19t
AVG 1 2
OBP 1 2
SLG 1 1
OPS 1 1

Just for your ego Bird, the stats that they are ranked 2nd in the entire league in you are 1st. Don't spend all your points in one place!

As far as pitching goes Brooklyn looks good! The pitching equivalent of San Antonio. They are ranked thusly :

MGL WPK
------ ------
HA 1 2
RA 1 1
HR 5 9t
BB 3 5
SO 2 5
AVG 1 1
OBP 1 1
SLG 1 1
OPS 1 1
BABIP 1 1
ERA 1 1

We will have to go more in depth once the season is done and the numbers are all in. Also when the time comes try to gather what stats you can from last year to compare (what year was last year based on?).

Have a great rest of the 4th!
Old 07-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #334
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

July 2-5, 1973, at Phoenix

After another very weak start the Phoenix Speed Devils have been coming on for awhile and enter this 5-game series against the 1st place Brewers in 3rd place, just 2 games behind Denver.

In game 1 Phoenix inches even closer by scoring 5 8th inning runs to take a narrow 8-6 victory. Cheol-han Lee pitched well enough in the start, working 7 innings and giving up 3 runs on 8 hits, but the bullpen lets him down. Sam Pruiett takes the loss, giving up 4 runs on 2 hits and 2 walks without recording an out. The Brewers collect 7 doubles in the loss. Bobby Erbakan (.368/.429/.509) went 3 for 5 and hit his 12th double. Chad Brown (.311/.326/.390) was 2 for 5, scored 2 runs, and hit 2 doubles to get to 13 on the season. Unfortunately, he also committed his 21st error.
Name:  Capture 939.PNG
Views: 35
Size:  103.3 KB

The Brewers nearly gave away a 4-run lead in the bottom of the 9th of game 2, but somehow held on to get a tight 5-4 win. Matt Helm, the team captain, once again gave the Brewers a fine performance, hurling 8 innings of 3-hit, 1-run ball. He got the victory to improve to 5-3 with a 2.99 ERA. Jose de los Santos pitched the 9th and nearly gave the game away, allowing 3 runs (2 earned) on 2 hits- both HR's- but finally was able to close the door just in time. Billy Turner (.306/.359/.518) collected just 1 hit in 4 at-bats, but it was a big one- a 2-run HR in the 4th inning.
Name:  Capture 940.PNG
Size:  99.6 KB

Steve Green continued his up and down season in the 3rd game, and this was one in the down column. Green allowed 5 runs (4 earned) on 6 hits and 5 BB's in just 4 innings pitched and the Brewers lost 8-4. Green drops to 6-6 with a 4.27 ERA. Andrew Kennedy (.339/.380/.454) came into the game as a pinch-hitter in the 7th inning and hit a solo HR, his 2nd long ball of the season. Josh Schaeffer (.333/.415/.520) continued his fine season, going 1 for 3, scoring twice, walking once, and picking up his 3rd stolen base.
Name:  Capture 941.PNG
Size:  97.2 KB

The Brewers needed to win at least 1 of the games in the Thursday double-header to maintain their 1st place position over the Speed Devils.
They won both.
Game 1 saw an improbable bounce back game for Harry Lyerly, pitching at one of the better hitting parks in the league against a team with 3 of the best left-handed power hitters in the game. Lyerly had to work out of a lot of trouble early on as he struggled with his control- walking 5- but once he settled down a bit he ended up working 7 scoreless, 3-hit innings, striking out 7. He threw a lot of pitches in this one- 135- but it was just the kind of gusty performance the team needed from the 25-year old flame thrower. The Brewers won 7-0 and Lyerly improved to 6-4 with a 3.23 ERA. Jordan Stephens pitched 2 fine innings to finish up the game and earned his 5th save (2.96.) The game was very close until the Brewers erupted for 4 runs in the 9th against the normally unhittable Pat Brooks. The big hit in this one- an Oscar Vargas (.211/.262/.305) Grand Slam. It was Vargas 2nd HR of the season. The Brewers also got back-to-back triples in the 2-run 5th inning off the bats of Pat Rondeau (.377/.394/.481) and Ryan Rodgers (.342/.456/.463). Both Rondeau and Rodgers went 3 for 5 in the game. For Rondeau it was triple #6 and for Rodgers #4.
Name:  Capture 942.PNG
Size:  107.7 KB

It took a clutch 9th inning hit by Jonathan Koch (.332/.353/.469) and a return to form inning from closer Jose de los Santos in the bottom of the frame, but the Brewers win a see-saw battle in the nightcap to take the series. Eric Johnson struggled again in the start and there is talk that he might be sent back to AAA (which would require putting him on waivers first as he is out of options) in favor of someone like Justin Peacock. Johnson allowed 4 runs on 6 hits including 2 HR's in just 3 innings of work and his ERA is now 4.58. Justin Bismark, recently called up from AAA when Dave Duncan was demoted, really kept the team in this one, working 3 strong innings, giving up just 1 run on 3 hits (1 HR) and keeping the team in the game. Bismark's ERA is now 1.29 over 4 appearances (7 IP.) For the second time on the day the Brewers get a Grand Slam- this time off the bat of Bobby Erbakan (.362/.421/.509), who went 2 for 4 with 5 RBI in the game.
Name:  Capture 943.PNG
Size:  97.0 KB

With the series victory, the Brewers are now 3 games ahead of both Brooklyn and Phoenix with the Baltimore Lords- the Brewers next opponents- sitting in 4th, 3 1/2 games back.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #335
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

Quote:
After looking at your posting of the hitting and pitching team statistics there is, from what I can see, a significant offensive increase across the board. Conversely the pitching has seen the effects but not have all felt it equally. There are a few teams and even more individuals I believe that have weathered the storm.

I have not had time to go very deep into the numbers but just by eyeballing it San Antonio is the most dominant offensive team by far. They are ranked thusly :

SJL WPK
----- -----
Hits 1 2
2B 1 2
3B 4t 4t
HR 1 1
Runs 1 1
BB 1 4
SO 5t 12t
SB% 19t 19t
AVG 1 2
OBP 1 2
SLG 1 1
OPS 1 1

Just for your ego Bird, the stats that they are ranked 2nd in the entire league in you are 1st. Don't spend all your points in one place!

As far as pitching goes Brooklyn looks good! The pitching equivalent of San Antonio. They are ranked thusly :

MGL WPK
------ ------
HA 1 2
RA 1 1
HR 5 9t
BB 3 5
SO 2 5
AVG 1 1
OBP 1 1
SLG 1 1
OPS 1 1
BABIP 1 1
ERA 1 1

We will have to go more in depth once the season is done and the numbers are all in. Also when the time comes try to gather what stats you can from last year to compare (what year was last year based on?).

San Antonio is a fascinating team. They have several of the biggest stars in the game. Their young shortstop Bud Lindsay is arguably the best in the WPK at his position and he's only 22. Their 26-year old second baseman Jared Hancock is also top rated at his position. There is no better all-around catcher in the game than 26-year old Erik Buonopane. And Joe Brodeur, at age 22, is a legitimate MVP candidate this year.
Name:  Screenshot (2061).jpg
Views: 33
Size:  184.8 KB

That's four five-star players.
Nick Haran, at 31, remains a gifted power hitter and has a cannon for an arm in right field. And first baseman Eric Brakeall is on pace for 34 HR's.

If only they had a modicum of pitching and defense. But they don't. And hence, even though they are in 3rd place, they are 13 1/2 games behind the leader, Jacksonville. And 7 1/2 behind Boston. Their ace, Chris Hernandez, is one of the greatest in WPK history but at age 37 he is 7-9 with a 5.24 ERA. Granted, they play in a pretty good hitters park but it's not extreme to the level that San Francisco's Bank of the West Ballpark is in the other direction.

The Brooklyn Aces play in a very good pitcher's park so they do have a built in advantage on that end of things. Their offense should be better than they have been thus far. They have the reigning MGL MVP in center field in Felix Lopez, who started the season on the IL and is hitting an uncharacteristically poor .288/.313/.382. Their left fielder, Jeremy Brigatti, is a force and is having a fine season with a 4.4 WAR at the half-way mark. A few other plus players- shortstop Chris Blackmore, first baseman Danny Salvador, and second baseman Greg Alwardt- are having good but somewhat disappointing seasons.

Although their pitching staff may not be quite as talented as the numbers would indicate, they do have one blossoming star starting pitcher in Aaron McNally. While their starting rotation is ranked #1 in ERA in the MGL, their bullpen is only #7. But they are an excellent defensive team, ranking 1st in Zone Rating, Defensive Efficiency, and errors.

If the Brewers have an advantage it is that we are a well-rounded team, other than the lack of HR power. We are tied for 2nd in runs scored and are 2nd in runs against. We have plus defense and plus base running (1st in the league again at +15.0.) But my main concern is that we can't possibly keep up the team batting average near .300 and if we don't get more power hitting we might not be able to sustain the level of run scoring we have achieved thus far.

Oh, and I forgot to answer the question about the stats modifiers for last season in the WPK. I'm embarrassed to admit that this is something I don't keep track of after the fact. I'm thinking it was 1978. Or maybe 1979. Anyway, fairly confident it was something right around there.

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 07-05-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #336
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

Frank Hernandez to retire at end of season.

Former league MVP and 5-time All-Star Frank Hernandez has announced that he'll be hanging up the spikes at the end of this season.
Name:  Capture 944.PNG
Views: 27
Size:  333.1 KB

Hernandez has been a beloved figure in the WPK in his 9 year career and was the very first SJL MVP in 1965. After that season (when he played for the El Paso Dawgs) he joined fellow MVP Andy Wilson in Portland for 5 seasons. Although he was able to help get the Wild Things 2 straight MGL titles (1967-1968) he was never able to get that elusive WPK championship ring. And given that his current team, the Philadelphia Mud Hens, are currently languishing in 8th place in the SJL, 22 games off the pace, it is unlikely he ever will.
Name:  Screenshot (2062).jpg
Size:  189.4 KB

Still, in addition to his MVP and All-Star selections, he also received 4 gold gloves for his work at first base (1965-1968) and 4 Silver Slugger awards. Hernandez led the league in walks 4 straight years, in OBP twice, and led the MGL in RBI in 1968.
After having one last productive season for the Jacksonville Wolf Pack in 1971 he barely played last season, his last with Jacksonville. Still, the Mud Hens signed him to a rather lucrative contract as a free agent this past winter. That has not worked well for either party, as Hernandez has appeared in a grand total of 7 games this season with only 5 plate appearances.
Name:  Screenshot (2063).jpg
Size:  204.6 KB

Rumor is that he is on the trading block so it is still possible some team will pick him up for a pennant run and hope that the legendary slugger has a few big hits left in him.

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 07-05-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:19 PM   #337
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

Gallardo hits for cycle!

Former Brewer farmhand Jordan Gallardo, who was signed to a minor league contract by the organization when he was a youngster out of the Dominican Republic way back in 1965, is in the midst of a breakout season.
(Spoiler alert: he has just earned his first All-Star selection.)
Name:  Capture 945.PNG
Size:  322.8 KB
Name:  Capture 946.PNG
Size:  146.0 KB
And he got his name in the papers today with a terrific game against the Brooklyn Aces in which he not only went 4 for 5 but his 4 hits comprised a cycle. He collected the hits in order of difficulty, first picking up the most difficult, the triple, in the 1st inning, homering in the 3rd, hitting a double in the 6th, and finally getting his lone single in the 7th.

Name:  Screenshot (2064).jpg
Size:  191.4 KB

Gallardo was always well-liked in his years as a member of the Brewers organization and put up some tremendous numbers in our farm system, but never made it to the big league club due to the over-saturation of talented outfielders in the system. There are a great many in the organization who are very happy to see the hard-working, natural leader achieving success at the highest level.

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 07-05-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:08 PM   #338
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

1973 All-Star Squads Announced

With the 1973 All-Star just days away, the final voting for starters and the complete rosters have now been revealed.

Name:  Capture 947.PNG
Views: 28
Size:  368.6 KB
Name:  Capture 948.PNG
Views: 28
Size:  300.7 KB

In the SJL, the top vote getter overall was last year's MVP, Lazaro Lowndes of the Washington Night Train. This is Lowndes 3rd All-Star selection.
The 1st place Jacksonville Wolf Pack led the way among teams in selections with 7. These range from veteran closer Jamel McNeil getting his 9th AS nod and star third baseman Jesus Casiano his 7th to a pair of pitchers- Eddie Osorio and Sam Pichardo- earning their first trip to the game.
The Boston Berserkers have 5 players headed to the showcase game. For 24-year old superstar left fielder Curtis Horah this is selection #5, while rookie center fielder Chase DiMascio is a first-timer.

Other notable multi-timers for the SJL, Columbus ace Jake Harris (8), Pittsburgh third baseman Trevor Leach (6), and San Antonio catcher Eric Buonopane (4).
There are many first-timers, among them MVP candidate Joe Brodeur of San Antonio, Pittsburgh right fielder Bill Winchester, and Seattle closer extraordinaire Tyler Thies.

The El Paso Dawgs and the Philadelphia Mud Hens are the only SJL teams with only a single player selected to the squad.

Name:  Capture 949.PNG
Size:  337.9 KB
Name:  Capture 950.PNG
Size:  291.9 KB

Indicative of the greater parity in the MGL, 4 teams were tied with 5 selections: Brooklyn, L.A., Phoenix, and the Brewers.

Among the Brewers selections were 3 players selected as starters: veteran outfielder (chosen as a CF'er) Ryan Rodgers with his 6th All-Star selection and 2 players chosen for the first time- 30 year old right fielder Pat Rondeau and 24-year old second baseman Jonathan Koch. First baseman Bobby Erbakan, who finished 3rd in the voting at his position, was also named to the team, his 2nd All-Star selection. The final Brewer named was ace Cheol-han Lee, who finished 2nd in voting among starting pitchers. For Cheol-han this is a team-best 8 All-Star games.
Brewers shortstop Chad Brown finished 2nd in the voting at his position, far behind the leading vote getter in the MGL, Portland's superstar Chris Tobin, but was not named to the team. Andrew Kennedy also finished 2nd in the voting for left field but also was snubbed when it came to completing the roster.

Among the veteran stars chosen this year are the following:L.A.'s superstar left fielder Travis Johnson (8), L.A.'s fearless leader and ace, Jose Santos (6), Phoenix veteran stopper Pat Brooks (6), Charlotte's captain and star left fielder Cody Kane (6), and Phoenix slugger Ju-ao Ju (5).

In addition to Brewers Rondeau and Koch, other first-timers include former members of the Brewers family, Jordan Gallardo and Ruben Souffront, Brooklyn shortstop Chris Blackmore and their veteran starting pitcher Manny Alvarado who has been over-looked in the past in spite of having some very fine seasons.

The only team in the MGL with only 1 player selected was the San Francisco Velocity.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #339
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

Quote:
After looking at your posting of the hitting and pitching team statistics there is, from what I can see, a significant offensive increase across the board.

So, thinking about this last night it dawned on me that it would be helpful to track annual league statistics in a spreadsheet.
But then when I went into the spreadsheets I keep for the WPK I discovered that this was not a new idea for me. I think I'm a little too young still to be having these kinds of memory problems.

Anyway, I updated the spreadsheet I already have and then compared it to the 1973 stats thus far and how they project out for a full season.

The first thing I should note is that the previous season, 1972, was one of the lowest scoring in WPK history. The overall runs per game was 3.4. Only the 1968 season, with its anemic 3.0, was lower. It was the third lowest in hits per 9 innings. And second lowest in HR/9, again behind only 1968. 1972 also tied with 1968 for the highest K/9 rate at 6.49. Overall batting average of .235 was the third lowest, just barely higher than 1965 and 1968.

Historically the SJL has been the better hitting league. (Or lesser pitching league, however you choose to interpret it.) So this years SJL league ERA of 3.92 isn't even the highest in league history as 1970 had a league ERA of 3.93. There are 3 seasons in SJL history with ERA's in the 3.60's. The league batting average this year of .259 would be the historical high for the SJL, but not by that much. 1966, 1969, and 1970 all saw league BA's of .256. And in 1971 it was .255. While the SJL is on pace for a record number of doubles, they are actually behind the pace of HR's seen in 1970 and 1966, by a good margin even. And as far as runs per game, 1973 is basically on pace to equal 1970, which saw 4.4 runs per game.

The MGL is historically a lower scoring environment. The MGL this season has an ERA of 3.98 and the previous highest was 3.63 set in 1966. The league batting average currently is .264. The best ever for a season in the MGL was also set in 1966 at .250. While the MGL is on pace for the best OBP and 2nd best slugging in its history, it is not yet on pace to see records in double, triples, HR's, walks, etc. Although this season is on pace for the lowest number of strikeouts in MGL history. And if the current pace continues more bases will be stolen than any other season.

Some overall historic trends for the WPK:
1) Walks were up considerably for 3 seasons- 1969-1971- before they came tumbling back down in last season's low offense environment. This season they are pace to return to the five digits again as they were from '69-71.
2) While complete games pitched have stayed fairly stable over time and should be well within norms this year, shutouts shot up in 1972 to 331, 2nd only to 1968's 405. The pace this year would lead to 203 shutouts, just 3 more than the low point of 200 in 1966.
3) Probably the most static stat in WPK history is the save. At the highest point is the 701 of 1968, while the fewest ever recorded in a season was 668 in 1965. This year might prove an outlier as we are pace for just 604 saves.

So overall, while the 1973 season is a good year for the hitters, it isn't quite the historic offensive outlier some predicted. And the feeling of an offensive upswing is probably intensified due to it coming on the heels of one of the more run suppressed seasons in WPK history.

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 07-06-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Thank you for this post:
Palaaemon (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #340
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter

Rondeau MGL Player of the Week

With the final week prior to the All-Star concluded, Pat Rondeau continues to have his best season and this week his play earns him the MGL Player of the Week honors.
Name:  Capture 951.PNG
Views: 22
Size:  330.4 KB

The recently named All-Star continues to lead all of the WPK in batting average at .384.

And while the team is enjoying the tremendous season Rondeau is having it also raises some serious questions.
The 30-year old outfielder is eligible for free agency at the end of the season. In spite of his great season and his continued wonderful presence in the clubhouse, with the array of plus outfielders in the Brewers system, and with the budding could be superstar Joe McPhillips thought to be just a few weeks away from being ready to play again, there is little chance the Brewers will try to keep Rondeau.

But do they trade him before the trading deadline at the end of the month? Rumor has it that Oklahoma City's best starting pitcher, Reece Vaughan, who has often been a thorn in Denver's side, is on the trading block. Vaughan comes at a price as his contract this year brings him 246K. And he, like Rondeau, is a free agent at the end of the season. Would the Diamond Kings swap future free agents with us, given that it would lessen their economic burden for the rest of this season (while they are in the green, they have far less budget space then the Brewers) and that they might have a better chance of extending Rondeau than Vaughan prior to free agency filings?
Name:  Screenshot (2065).jpg
Views: 22
Size:  188.5 KB

And should we sacrifice the popular and hard working Rondeau knowing that Vaughan is just a loaner for the stretch drive (though should also net us a supplemental first round draft pick next year when someone else signs him, as they will)? McPhillips will be given a rehab assignment at AAA, but he should be ready to rejoin the Brewers by early August. With Ryan Rodgers and Andrew Kennedy providing fine production, Josh Schaeffer continuing to impress in his first full season, and McPhillips back manning center, something has to give. There is only so much room in the lineup and in the outfield.

These are the thoughts the Brewers front office is grappling with during this All-Star break.