Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - Update OOTP 19.8 is online - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team Open Beta Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-02-2002, 11:58 AM   #21
Erich Ingram

Thanked 12x in 7 posts
Yep Statis Pro is where I started my gaming as well. The game was a lot of fun, I had baseball, football and basketball. Granted the football was not something you could really play solo. I still remember playing it on the Apple IIE, man time sure has passed and boy is this game so much better.

IOSBL San Diego Aztecs 2010, 2012,2013, 2014 World Series Champions
Maelstrom Padres 2026 World Champions
eMLB Washington Nationals
Erich Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 06:18 PM   #22
PadresFan
All Star Starter

Thanked 273x in 121 posts
My friends played APBA, but I played Statis Pro. I remember playing the Phillies in my solo league while watching them play on TV back in the late 70's, early 80's... I think I was playing Statis Pro during game 5 of the LCS against the Astros. I was 12 at the time.... That reminds me, I need to see if I can find that series on VHS or DVD...
PadresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 08:46 PM   #23
shunt
Banned

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I looooooooooooved strat o matic...

check out the movie "Crooklyn", decent spike lee movie w/ the kids playin Strat-0-matic in it...

biggest mention of the game ive ever seen, was kinda cool
shunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 09:28 AM   #24
DougWyatt
All Star Starter

Thanked 7x in 6 posts
Just searched to figure out which game I had loved as a child; and now I'm confused. I'm thinking it was Statis Pro, but not sure; maybe someone with a better memory could help me out.

The game had cards with ratings (no photos or anything, if I remember right, no color either-just black and white). To play you put the two teams out, and the action cards in the middle (roughly 2X the size of a player card). You read the action card starting with ... what was it; I remember it was a number that you compared to the pitchers range. the pitcher range was 2-5, 2-6, 2-7, etc. If the AC number was between the pitchers number you used his card for the next step. But if the number was above the pitchers range, you used the batters card. Then you looked at the action number (1-100 I think). This would tell you what happened.

Which game was that ? Man, I played it FOREVER. I remember trading players to keep current, and everything. Doug Bird was the best card of any set I can remember. Must've been a misprint, but he was like 2-8 with a 19-100 for outs. lol. I knew it shouldn't be his real stats/card, but I didn't care; he was my ace and I loved him! lol
Old 02-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #25
rcbuss
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
I'd played APBA, some SOM, and PTP through the late 70s and 80s, until I switched over to computer simulations. There is a group, interestingly, that reverse-engineered the PTP card making process after they went out of business, and have gone on to improve on it over the past several years. It is available over the internet (http://www.ibl.org/iblgame/index.html) as a free download.

My very first game, though, was called BatterUp! Batters cards were in green ink, and pitchers card were in orange. There were three six-sided dice (0-10-10-20-20-20; 0-5; 1-5), with 10 being the hardest number to get (1/216), giving you a number from 1-30. You'd roll first off of the pitcher's card. If the dice roll number resulted in no play result number, you'd then roll again and go directly to the batters card. In this way, they got around the 50-50 problem inherent in games like SOM and PTP; there was no allowance for handedness, however. I can remember never getting to the batters' cards when Ron Guidry ('78) was on the mound. Sadly, I think the game was only around for a few years in the late 1970s. The pictures are kind of blurry, but you can see the general setup of the game, and others, at this website -- http://www.kypris.com/Baseball/bbGames.html

Rob
Old 02-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #26
JimiP
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Ahhh this is great - i forgot about Statis-Pro ....
APBA (never never say AP-BA) was not the first - it was Red Barber Baseball ! ! ! APBA was second on the evergrowing list. Strat-O, Sports Illustrated -- yeh with the team charts. Sher-Co - i believe i still have it in the basement (along weith APBA and maybe SI).
Great thread - yow ! !!

http://www.blues411.com
JimiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:50 AM   #27
lynchjm24
All Star Reserve

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by MarlinsFan
The lefty vs righty, lefty vs lefty, and righty vs righty was comical in statis pro. It affected everyone exactly the same way.
What else is comical is that there is some pretty convincing research lately that among RIGHT handed hitters there isn't any difference in their platoon differences. That the overall average of about 9% is more representative of a players platoon split then the 5% of 15% they put up last year.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:52 AM   #28
lynchjm24
All Star Reserve

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally posted by DougWyatt
Just searched to figure out which game I had loved as a child; and now I'm confused. I'm thinking it was Statis Pro, but not sure; maybe someone with a better memory could help me out.

The game had cards with ratings (no photos or anything, if I remember right, no color either-just black and white). To play you put the two teams out, and the action cards in the middle (roughly 2X the size of a player card). You read the action card starting with ... what was it; I remember it was a number that you compared to the pitchers range. the pitcher range was 2-5, 2-6, 2-7, etc. If the AC number was between the pitchers number you used his card for the next step. But if the number was above the pitchers range, you used the batters card. Then you looked at the action number (1-100 I think). This would tell you what happened.

Which game was that ? Man, I played it FOREVER. I remember trading players to keep current, and everything. Doug Bird was the best card of any set I can remember. Must've been a misprint, but he was like 2-8 with a 19-100 for outs. lol. I knew it shouldn't be his real stats/card, but I didn't care; he was my ace and I loved him! lol
That's Statis Pro - but it wasn't 1-100, it was some crazy base 8 system. 11-88 I think was the range.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:52 PM   #29
sporr
Global Moderator

Thanked 40x in 2 posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lynchjm24
That's Statis Pro - but it wasn't 1-100, it was some crazy base 8 system. 11-88 I think was the range.
I don't think he's talking about Statis Pro. The one he mentions had stadium walls that you put on to the playing field and each had ballpark numbers on it that determined whether a long fly ball was a homer or just a deep flyout. I can't remember the name of it...
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 01:44 PM   #30
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 276x in 120 posts
I played at lot of Statis Pro, APBA, but allways found my way back to Strat-O-Matic.

For whatever reason though i liked the Statis game board a lot better and used it for all my Strat games - still have it out in the garage.

In a lot of ways, I miss those days.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 02:00 PM   #31
Bryan
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
My entire childhood!

I actually got my first copy of Strat-o-matic when I was about 8, and I was hooked! My mom bought it for me for Christmas one year, and almost immediately I began to spread the players out all over the place. Mom called them "dudes."

Anyway, the most fun I had was randomly re-assigning the players to teams. I would divide the players by main position, then split them between those who had played more or less than 100 games, and have a random expansion draft.

I also played Bowl Bound a lot and Title Bout.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:07 PM   #32
lynchjm24
All Star Reserve

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Quote:
Originally posted by sporr
I don't think he's talking about Statis Pro. The one he mentions had stadium walls that you put on to the playing field and each had ballpark numbers on it that determined whether a long fly ball was a homer or just a deep flyout. I can't remember the name of it...
The first card in Status Pro was a 2-12 number that took you to the pitcher or hitter cards.

I believe it was just by ERA in 20% intervals.

Top 20% of ERA was 2-9 (we had a league one year where we played 100 games, Bob Milacki was a 2-9 ace for me). So if the first card was 9, then you'd take the second card's number 11-88 and refer to the pitcher's card. I'm pretty sure they were called action cards, which is why I thought he was talking about Status Pro.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:19 PM   #33
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 364x in 256 posts
Played APBA, Statis Pro, Extra Innings, PTP, Dave Koch Baseball, SI, Pennant Race, Sherco, Replay Baseball and even created my own game in 1976, that is very similar to some of the current table top games.... a system using 3 6- sided dice, statistically accurate but too a long time to sim....

Started playing computer baseball in 1983 with Earl Weaver, then PTP (diamond mind), Strat-o-matic, Baseball for Windows, Broadcast Blast, Hafner Games. SBS and many others.....

When I got divorced it really pissed me off when my wife threw away my 1978 version of Statis Pro.....I downloaded all the charts and was going to make my own cards but just didn't have the time to play table top games anymore when you can sim a season with computer games in 1/1000 th the time.
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:21 PM   #34
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 364x in 256 posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sporr

I had a game in the early 70's put out by the SHERCO game company that had the field set up in a grid - I think this is the game you are thinking about. It was sold by mail - advertised heavily in Baseball Digest and the Sporting News.
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:44 PM   #35
DougWyatt
All Star Starter

Thanked 7x in 6 posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lynchjm24
The first card in Status Pro was a 2-12 number that took you to the pitcher or hitter cards.

I believe it was just by ERA in 20% intervals.

Top 20% of ERA was 2-9 (we had a league one year where we played 100 games, Bob Milacki was a 2-9 ace for me). So if the first card was 9, then you'd take the second card's number 11-88 and refer to the pitcher's card. I'm pretty sure they were called action cards, which is why I thought he was talking about Status Pro.
Yeah, I'm almost positive you're right. The 11-88 rings a bell; and I don't remember anything about stadium walls. I think I'm gonna look around for it and buy.......... nah, I'll just leave my memories of it being a "perfect" game alone !

I remember a little while back I was playing Madden Football with my son, and started bragging about how great Tecmo Bowl was. I got it again, and ... well let's just say he wasn't all that impressed; and I seemed to lose a little love myself.

I won't tarnish those cherished memories by looking for it and playing it during an OOTP break. Thanks guys for clearing up the game name. And thanks to this thread for bringing up some fond memories
Old 02-14-2004, 05:49 PM   #36
Folderol
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 40x in 15 posts
"I never played Statis Pro or Strat o matic because I "cut my baseball teeth" on Sports Illustrated All-Time, All-Star Baseball. What a great game. Each franchise's all-time best players were included together on a colorful, coded sheet which cited their hitting, pitching, and fielding abilities. I bet my brother and I spent thousands of hours playing the game. A couple of years in was picked up by the Avalon Hill game co. and made into a bookshelf game. (Never quite the same because you had to use cards instead of the sheets.)

Does anybody else remember this game?"

REMEMBER IT?? I bought it for my brother off E-Bay two years ago and decided to keep it - all the cards, everything, perfectly intact ---- woohooo! Remember rolling a 24-25-26?????

I had more looseleaf box scores and starts on leagues my brother and I played....

/good times...
Old 02-14-2004, 09:43 PM   #37
Nukester
All Star Starter

Thanked 4x in 3 posts
Hey guys, here is a nice site listing a whole bunch of baseball sim games from the past. How many of these bad boys have you played ?

http://www.kypris.com/Baseball/bbGames.html

As far as table top, cut my teeth on that All-Star baseball game with the round cards and the spinners. From there I learned the finer points of scoresheets from a game called, believe it or not, Charlie Brown Baseball (I was probably like 9 years old or so). From there I found a little talked about game called Longball. That was the first hardcore sim I owned. From there I played Strat-O-Matic when on my own, but a friend owned the Sports Illustrated Game. The one with all the oldtimers. He would always be the AL and kick my butt.

Then came the digital age, and I found myself staring at both a copy of Microleague Baseball and something called Radio Baseball. I choose Microleague baseball and was in heaven for a few years. Then I think it went Tony LaRussa Baseball (actually Oldtime Baseball), BBPro 98, HH, then OOTP. Sprinkled in there was the Atari games and Hardball, and stuff, but Im talking sim games here.

I never really had a chance to play much Earl Weaver Baseball, and it sounds like I missed out on something. I may have not given it enough of a chance. I had Earl Weaver Baseball II for my IBM PC Jr back then, but I thought it was bad. Maybe my computer wasnt up to snuff back then or something. I prefered Microleague much more at the time.
Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you.
Nukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:08 AM   #38
sporr
Global Moderator

Thanked 40x in 2 posts
The Strat-o-matic HOF set was the genesis for the formation of our OOTP Baseball Maelstrom league.
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #39
Eski33
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinsFan View Post
Any of you guys ever play Statis Pro baseball by Avalon Hill. That's how I learned about sim games. Man, I loved that game. Tried APBA and Strat-o-Matic, but always came back to Statis Pro. Pursue the Pennant was cool because it introduced the concept of weather (i.e., wind) effects (at least to me).
Yes! One of my favorite C64 games of all time. Are there any games similar on iOs?
Eski33 is offline   Reply With Quote