Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.5.52 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special: Save 50% on OOTP 20!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Mods

Old 12-10-2003, 11:58 AM   #61
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Dec 10, 2003 - Just A Note

Only 4 more team payrolls left to do and then some minor editing to adjust stealing ratings and catcher arm-throwing. I am going to limit this to the 40-man rosters only. I will post my guidelines in a "read me" file. Therefore, you will have to edit any player or players you bring up from the Free Agent Pool - there are hundreds upon hundreds in the FA. My last step will be to find a "host" for the files. Next, I will be working on the "Legends League" Website with the help of commish Joe. So, I will post the files there if I can't find a home for them before then. This should be done sometime in Jan/Feb. As far as I can tell THIS IS ONE KILLER OF A LEAGUE! To spice things up I've managed to incorporate several of Teflon's Stadiums and some others. I will also include many others. My personal and work schedule has been somewhat demanding of late and has caused me to slow down a little. I sure wish there were more hours in the day!

By the way, both my Dodger Teams (Brooklyn in the East & Los Angeles in the West) are really struggling! And, I'm the Dodger fan who put this all together! Go figure!

Special thanks to Eugene Church for sending me some data on Ratings for steals & catchers Arms. Now, if only there were any volunteers for the Legends League Banner we'd really be stoked!

Regards
Spanky
Old 12-17-2003, 12:36 PM   #62
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Dec 17, 2003 - Minor Update

Well, I'm happy to say that I've finally finished the payrolls for all 36 teams. However, there is still some editing and refining to do here and there. The average player salary is about 2.2 Mil and team payrolls probably average about $80-85 Mil. - the league cap will be $100 Million. The idea here is to make it financially difficult for GM's to run out and buy up, lets say, a Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, etc. (Remember, the FA I have included hundreds if not thousands of players from 1900-2002 (waiting for 2003 Leahman release).

Next, its on to other minor editing and stadium construction.
Actually, if I could sit down and do it all in a day, there is probably only about 25 hrs + or - of work to go before I'm done.

I have to admit, the Legends League is awesome!

Happy Holidays
Spanky
Old 12-17-2003, 03:01 PM   #63
Nukester
All Star Starter

Thanked 4x in 3 posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
Actually, if I could sit down and do it all in a day, there is probably only about 25 hrs + or - of work to go before I'm done.
Where do you live where you get 25 hours in a day ?
Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:37 AM   #64
Joe Shlabotnick
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 3x in 3 posts
Obviously, he lives on the border of two time zones, has a computer in each time zone, and never sleeps.

Duh!
Old 12-22-2003, 03:57 PM   #65
BESTDJINFL
Major Leagues

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Can't wait to see the sight!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:34 PM   #66
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Legends League Update

Minor Update for Jan 8, 2004

I've been awfully busy with work and the holidays and other stuff as of late but the Legends League is still a work in progress.

I've finally finished all the team payrolls and finances - its not perfect but I tried to set the league up with as much "parity" as possible.

Now there are only five (5) more things to do:

(1) Update and configure individual stadiums for all teams;
(2) Update catcher arm ratings;
(3) Update base stealing ratings;
(4) Include Lahmens 2003 player stats (anybody know when the Lahmen's Database for 2003 is going to be released?) and lastly;
(5) Get a website up and running.

I'm hoping to have all this done within the next 30-60 days or sooner. A sixth item I'd like to do is refine the Legends League Free Agent pool by deleting many of the duplicate players. This will allow me to post two versions of the Legends League - one "unedited" version and the other "edited."

As you can imagine, I've been playing the Legends League almost everyday for weeks now. I've created a separate league from that of my main database. The competition and excitement of each and every game is "awesome." Unfortunately, both the Dodger teams I'm playing (Brooklyn & L.A.) are below .500 and 6 games out of first place. I'll have more to share with you on the results at a later time.

Happy New Year
Spanky

Ps. I'm still hoping somebody will help me out with my "Farmers Legends League" banner.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:27 PM   #67
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Jan 16, 2004 - minor update

(1) Well, I've figured out a decent system to rate catchers ranges and throwing arms. I'm in the process of updating the hundred or so plus catchers in the database. I'm seeing much improvement in this area and enough variation as to make it very interesting. Do you draft a catcher with a decent batting avg but weak range and a great arm or one with other characteristics?

2) I've decided to pretty much leave the base stealing ratings the way they are. It would take up a big chunk of my time to change them all and, as you might imagine, I'm getting anxious to move on to something new (Maybe later in the year).

3) It appears that I will only have about 4-8 new stadiums to configure. This is another tedious task but won't take that long to accomplish.

4) Still waiting for Lahmens 2003 updates - I've been checking every date and all they say on their website is "soon." "Soon" to them must be a foreign language.

5) I've got to get my website going but I'm asking Commish Joe to help me with that so this aspect should not take that long to accomplish.

6) I will post a download link on my site for all to obtain copies of the magnificent Legends League.

I know its been a long haul and wait but the Legends League is something very special you won't want to miss! (There are thousands of quality players in the database in addition to 36 teams with 40-man rosters in 2 Leagues, 3 divisions each, and 6 teams in each division. Can you guide one or more of these teams to the "Big Show?" Its fun and its challenging.

Smiles
Spanky
Old 01-28-2004, 11:47 AM   #68
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Jan 29, 2004 - Minor Update

Wow! Another month is flying by! Well, I've readjusted the arm and fielding range for about 3/4 of the catchers. I feel very comfortable with the ratings as they make a lot of sense in light of the fielding stats. Next up is adding a few more stadiums and then throwing up a website to post the goodies. I'm not going to change the base stealing ratings as now there are more than enough catchers with "A" and "B" arms to combat those pests.
If I were to re-rate all those players it would be well into the next century before I finished! I realize I've slowed down a bunch from my initial pace earlier but its only because I've been bogged down with real work and a few good women here and there. However, I have not lost any of my enthusiasm to finish this project. I'm also not going to wait on Lahman's to post the 2004 updates either. There definition of "soon" must include a couple of "life times." In any case, stayed tuned as the Legends League is coming to a ballpark near you real soon!

Spanky
Old 01-28-2004, 06:17 PM   #69
clashcity
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 9x in 7 posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
Jan 29, 2004 - Minor Update

I'm also not going to wait on Lahman's to post the 2004 updates either. There definition of "soon" must include a couple of "life times." In any case, stayed tuned as the Legends League is coming to a ballpark near you real soon!

Spanky
I can't resist - You started this post back in June - What's your definition of soon?
Old 01-31-2004, 11:57 AM   #70
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Just A Little Cheer

Jan 31st 2004 - Just A little cheer ...

Well three great things have happened this week:

(1) Welcome back to Teflon. He's posted a couple new ballparks which I plan to use in the Legend's League. (I would like to ask him for one of Ebbets Field &/Or the Polo Grounds but I know his plate is already full);
(2) Lahman's just posted the 2003 stats. So, now I can include players up thru 2003 and;
(3) I rerated all the catchers.

Now, I've got to do the following:

(1) Include the new 2003 players;
(2) Finish formatting a half dozen or so of Teflon's stadiums. There might be as many as 50 stadiums but no fewer than 36 when I finish this process;
(3) Build a website. Hopefully, this won't be hard to do since Commish Joe is willing to help me out;
(4) Post the League files for ALL to use.

This will complete the "unedited" version of Spanky's Legends League. My last step is to cut out or "edit" many duplicate players from the database for my own On-Line League which I'm anxious to start this year.

One last thing before I go. I realize that my own definition of soon has been long overdue. However, in light of the monumental task I have undertaken with this project (without much assistance) is justifiably understandable. Remember, the Legends League is customizable and since it includes almost every noteworthy player since 1900 to play the game, you can easily re-structure it in any way imaginable to suit your own purposes.

In any case, hang in there as the wait will be well worth the booty.

Smiles
Spanky
Old 01-31-2004, 01:16 PM   #71
twins15
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Thank you very much. When I first head about this, I wasn't sure it was ever going to get done, not because you are irresponsible (since you obviously are not), but since this is an enormous project for anyone to do. Glad to see you are reaching the final stages!

Bismarck Boy Scouts of the OTBL - league yes-man

Ross Gload at baseball-reference.com

Book Quotes and Book Lists
Old 02-01-2004, 06:41 PM   #72
GForce22
Banned

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Don't feel bad on the wait, Spanky. My all-time roster project has been on again, off again since 2002

GH
Old 02-06-2004, 11:51 AM   #73
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Just A Note:

Happy Friday Everybody! Well, I've finished with the 2003 MLB player updates. Now, its on to setting up the stadiums for each team (most of which are already done) and then its on to some minor editing. But the bulk of the work is finally done! (Heck, I wanted to update every teams rosters with some of the players from 2003 but I've decided that I have done enough in this area (each of the 36 teams has a 40 man roster).

Spanky
Old 02-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #74
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Legends League Update - Done!

Feb 9, 2004 - Legends League Update

The "unedited" version of the Legends League is finally done!

This league includes:

1) All-time great's and supporting cast players from 1900-2003;
2) Hundreds of duplicate players but from different years;
3) Two Leagues with three divisions in each league and six teams
in each division.
4) A 40-Man roster for each team;
5) Team payrolls and financials;
6) Each team has own unique stadium;
7) Each team is composed of core players from that teams best
Won/Loss season record and is supplemented with additional
players from that era.
8) Each team has its own team logo.

Spanky's Legends League is "turn-key" and comes ready to
play! However, you can easily edit it in any way you so choose.

The "uneditied" version is at least 50MB zipped plus a second
zipped graphics file for stadiums.

Hopefully, I will be done with the "edited" version within the
next couple weeks. Then, I will be able to start on my web-
site where I will post all the files for everybody to enjoy just
in time for the 2004 baseball season.

No longer will you have to spend hours and hours building the
team and leagues of your dreams ... it will finally all be in one
place ... Spanky's Legends League.

Spanky

Ps. The "edited" version will not have as many "duplicate" players in the Free Agent Pool. Maybe only one to three other choices of different players both great and not so great. This will reduce the file size tremendously.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:58 PM   #75
Boozie1580
All Star Starter

Thanked 16x in 13 posts
How can we get it?

Old 02-12-2004, 02:44 PM   #76
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Legends League Update

Feb 12, 2004

The "Unedited" version of the Legends League is done.
This league file is approx 50MB zipped + The "Stadium" graphics file (zipped).

Now, I'm working on the "edited" versions. Since I'm finding it difficult to "cut" out alot of "duplicate" players because I'm such a statistics hound, I'm thinking of creating at least two, maybe three, slimmed down "edited" versions of the files.

This way, one can choose which of the various file size League databases they prefer. My last "edited" version will likely only have one to three versions or "duplicates" of the same player.

When I say "duplicate" I refer to having included a player like Barry Bonds or Sandy Koufax or whomever for different seasons.

Thus there is an abundance of "duplicate" players like Barry Bonds in the database. For example:

Barry Bonds'89Pi (Bonds 1989 Pirates)
Barry Bonds'96G (Bonds 1996 Giants)

Sandy Koufax'62D (Koufax 1962 Dodgers)
Sandy Koufax'65D (Koufax 1962 Dodgers)

This means that there are sometimes 5-10 such "duplicates" for players such as Mickey Mantle, Mark McGwire, Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, and on and on ...

So far, I'm up to editing out ShortStops on the 1st "edited" version. After keeping a copy or two or three, I will go back and pare the list down some more. My problem with speed is that I also have a ton of work work and play play to squeeze in between.

Hopefully, I can get this done and have my website up and running before the season starts. I know your all anxious to get a copy of this and I'm working hard to make it happen as soon as possible.

Thanks
Spanky
Old 02-16-2004, 02:39 PM   #77
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
The Legends League Update

Feb 16, 2004 - Legends League Update

I managed to trim the "unedited" version down into three separate smaller or "edited" versions over the weekend.

Today, I will finish making the 4th and last edited version.

Remember when I use the word "duplcate" I mean for it to denote the same player for different years in his career, ie.,
Bonds'79Pi, Bonds'93G, Bonds'98G, Bonds'02G.

Here is a brief description of each version:

1) "Unedited" - includes the complete database of players from
1900 to 2003. There are duplicate players galore spanning
over many different years in their careers. Since this version
is "unedited" there are many players in the DB that probably
should not be there. Until I go back and put on some polish,
there are even a few exact duplicates of the same player as
well as a few typos here and there. However, the overall
integrity is in excess of 99%. This League Program file is
approx 50MB zipped and includes all 36 teams with 40 man
rosters broken down into two leagues with 3 divisions each.
Each team has its own financials, payrolls, logo, and stadium.

2) "Edited" version #1 - Many "marginal" or "below average"
players have been removed and many typos and exact dupli-
cates have been corrected. There has been very minimal
change to the database. The same League description of
attributes applies, ie., Leagues, teams, & rosters.

3) "Edited version #2 - More marginal and below average players
have been deleted. And, some the "not so hot years" or
"stat repeat years" for certain players have been removed
or deleted. This version is more about a "cleanup" of Pitchers
than hitters. Overall, it brings duplicate pitchers more into
balance with duplicate hitters. The DB size is now 33MB
zipped.

4) Edited version #3 - Paring down less stellar years for all
duplicate players including pitchers and hitters. This will
probably be the best version of the Legends League because
it weeds out most of the excess but still leaves plenty of
choices for lots of the greats. For example there are still
plenty of choices for a Ty Cobb, Wade Boggs, Joe DiMaggio,
Babe Ruth, Henry Aaron, Lou Gehrig, Bob Gibson, Roger
Clemens, Christy Mathewson, Whitey Ford, and on and on.
However, instead of 10 different selections there may only
be 7 or 8 or instead of 6 there may only be 3 or 4, etc.
(But, they are the very best years of their careers!).

5) Edited version #4 - Finally the last! This version will attempt
to include remove all duplicates from the database and include
only that players best year. This won't always be easy as
sometimes it will be a choice between batting avg, power,
or base stealing ability or a combination thereof. The only
duplicate players will be those who have already been
assigned to a team. For example, Bernie Williams'98Y or
Duke Snider'53D. This will be the League File I'm planning to
use in the soon to be created online "Legends League."

Upon the completion of this last version I will begin the process of having my website created. All the above referenced "versions"
will be posted on this site for everyone to enjoy. Hopefully, this will be accomplished within the next 30 days.

I continue to play a much earlier version of the "unedited" version of the "Legends League" called the Gold Coast Classic League.
I'm playing two of the all-time great Dodgers teams - Brooklyn Dodgers'53 and the Los Angeles Dodgers'74. All the games are fun and challenging especially when it comes to keeping the bullpen's going and overcoming injuries and other setbacks.
Neither of my teams are doing well - Brooklyn is 1 game over .500 and LA is 5 games under. I'm hoping to enjoy a better second half of the season. Of course, I could change the outcome by drafting anyone of several players but this is not my goal - yet!

This league is awesome! "The Legends League - Where The Past, Present, & Future Collide!" Watch for it coming to a ballpark near you soon.

Spanky
Old 03-02-2004, 10:03 PM   #78
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Legends League Update - Done!

March 2, 2004

All the file versions of the "Legends League" are finally done.

After 10 long hard and sometimes very frustrating months, its finally completed.

I now have several versions of the Legends League ready to release. The versions range from the totally "unedited" version down to 4+ "edited" versions. The last version is the smallest to include only 2 versions or different "years" for the same player.

Beginning tomorrow I will be working with CommishJoe to build and post my website (temporarily: FarmersGCL.com) where everybody can pick the version best suited for their needs.

Hopefully, my site will be up and running within the next 2 to 4 weeks and I invite "one and all" to stop by and say hello - the booty will be well worth the visit.

The "Legends League" includes all of the following:

(1) 36 historical teams from the past, ie., Dodgers'74, Yankees'98, Baltimore'69, Boston'46, Seattle'01, Cleveland'54,
Oakland'88, Anaheim'02, and so forth. (Of course, one can easily dismantle and recreate almost any team, real or fictional, in history).
(2) Two Leagues with 3 divisions and 6 teams in each division.
(3) Team logos and stadiums (mostly Teflons).
(4) Thousands of players from 1900 thru 2003 - tons of duplicate players from all their best years.
(5) Team financials and payrolls all filled out and based upon William James "Win-Shares" for consistency in player salaries across the board (1 win share = $100,000 in payroll).
(6) Each team's actual minor league affliate name is listed for the minor leagues.
(7) Catcher Arm & Range is standarized for 100's of catchers.
(8) Each team includes its "core" players for the team year selected and is then populated with supporting players from that era.
(9) Each team has a 40-man roster with lineups and pitching rotations already setup.

If I could have though of anything more to include, I would have done it! The only thing I have not included is the "mustard" on the hot-dogs.

"The Legends League - Where The Past, Present, & Future Collide" is coming to a ballpark near you soon!

Spanky
Old 03-03-2004, 07:15 AM   #79
JohnnyBench
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Thanks for your hard work!

Looking forward to it.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #80
Spanky
Major Leagues

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Legends League Update - Future Home

March 4, 2004 - Minor update

The Legends League has finally signed up for a web address.

The league's new home address will be: Farmersgcl.com

The league is has also opened discussions with some great web designers in order to assist with the construction site.

There is nothing much to show now but in the next few weeks I'm hoping to achieve considerable progress toward meeting my goal: Hosting an On-line league featuring the greatest teams and ballpayers to ever don a uniform.

It is my intent as part of this project to include several download links for the purpose of sharing ALL the various versions, both "unedited" and "edited" of the Legends League with everybody in the OOTP community. Never again will one have to spend enormous amounts of time putting together leagues and players. It will all be here in one place!

I will post a link to the Legends site (Farmersgcl.com) as soon as I have something to share.

Spanky
Are we cooking or what?