Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.5.52 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

MLB All-Star Game Special: Save 50% on OOTP 20!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Mods

Old 01-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #61
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,593x in 1,742 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigD4VT
Count me in. I've been meaning to become involved again and this sounds like fun.
Hello, bigD4VT...great to see you are back on the board and are going to participate...your fine logo work has been missed.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:39 PM   #62
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,408x in 2,483 posts
LL,

Those rules sound pretty good. I would only suggest that all logos be sent to one person, who, once the submission deadline has passed, then posts all the logos into a poll thread at the same time. If the designers posted them into a thread on their own, it is possible that the first entries into the thread may get a bit of a advantage from having a little more time to be looked over as compared to later postings. If all the submissions are posted at the same time, then they're all unveiled simultaneously, which I think would be better.

There is also question of the posting order of each logo in a simultaneous unveiling thread. It could get confusing if one person was first for one team name but then fourth or fifth for another. I would suggest simply posting the logos in alphabetical order based on the designer's board name. This would make for a consistent pattern across every team nickname chosen for the contest.

In any case, once the first team name's logos are up for voting, a suitably noticeable announcement should be made in the main OOTP forum and perhaps OT as well, to generate the most amount of traffic as well as votes.

Everyone knows how important voter turnout is in a democracy...

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
— Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Old 01-12-2005, 11:04 PM   #63
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 28x in 25 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange
LL,

Those rules sound pretty good. I would only suggest that all logos be sent to one person, who, once the submission deadline has passed, then posts all the logos into a poll thread at the same time. If the designers posted them into a thread on their own, it is possible that the first entries into the thread may get a bit of a advantage from having a little more time to be looked over as compared to later postings. If all the submissions are posted at the same time, then they're all unveiled simultaneously, which I think would be better.

There is also question of the posting order of each logo in a simultaneous unveiling thread. It could get confusing if one person was first for one team name but then fourth or fifth for another. I would suggest simply posting the logos in alphabetical order based on the designer's board name. This would make for a consistent pattern across every team nickname chosen for the contest.

In any case, once the first team name's logos are up for voting, a suitably noticeable announcement should be made in the main OOTP forum and perhaps OT as well, to generate the most amount of traffic as well as votes.

^^^^

Fantabulous ideas. I second all of them wholeheartedly.

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."
Old 01-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #64
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LL,

I would only suggest that all logos be sent to one person, who, once the submission deadline has passed, then posts all the logos into a poll thread at the same time. If all the submissions are posted at the same time, then they're all unveiled simultaneously, which I think would be better.

Good suggestions, LGO.

We really need to post the all the logos at the same time...and we need to advertise it on the main page.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #65
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivnLegend
Preparation
Judging
Judging will be done by those in the OOTP community who wish to add their vote. I will begin a poll listing the entries by OOTP user handle. [what do we do if we get more than 10 entries?] Voting will take place over the course of a pre-selected time.
[EC suggested 3 days for design entries. At first I thought that may not be enough but I did not see any objections. Maybe 4 days for design, 3 days for judging, making each contest 1 week? Is that too fast?]
4 days for design and 3 days for voting sounds good to me...I'm not a designer and have no idea how long it take you guys to do your magic.

Is there a limit of 10 questions on the OOTPB Forum polls?

If so, could we list two polls in case we get more than 10 entries?
Old 01-12-2005, 11:52 PM   #66
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 38x in 32 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church
4 days for design and 3 days for voting sounds good to me...I'm not a designer and have no idea how long it take you guys to do your magic.

Is there a limit of 10 questions on the OOTPB Forum polls?

If so, could we list two polls in case we get more than 10 entries?
Yes, the limit is 10 entries for a poll.
Creating two polls may confuse people and cause them to vote twice.
I think some wise guy (or wiseguy) was famous around here for saying "polls need more then 10 options!"
Old 01-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #67
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

LivnLegend:

If we do one logo per week, it will take about 10 months to do 40 logos.

Maybe we should do 20 at first and see how it goes.

I suggest we start with 20 teams...doing one a week..which will take 5 months...which is ok because we don't want this project to be the only logos done on the board...we don't want to monopolize the designers to the detriment of other members who want their own logo request done.

What do you think?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:09 AM   #68
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think some wise guy (or wiseguy) was famous around here for saying "polls need more then 10 options!"
Sorry, don't know anything about forum polling.

What do we do...just take a maximum of 10 entries?

First ten that you receive?

Maybe we could still post latecomers in a thread and include them when they are uploaded to the host servers...they just wouldn't be eligible for the "Favorite" logo, but would still be in the "Special" category.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:20 AM   #69
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

As I understand it, you want the committee and me to come up with cities and nicknames. I intend to include anyone who volunteered in this thread and will get their input. It will not just be my decision...it will be by a majority of the committee. I would take suggestions from the OOTPB Community and give them to the committee for consideration, too. Probably have them PM me.

Be aware when you throw out all of the professional nicknames, you really limit the number of generic nicknames.

I take it you want us to use "real" city names and not "fictional" city names?

By "real" I mean like Portland, Oregon...Santiago, Chile...San Antonio, Texas...as opposed to "fictional" like North River...St. Alabaster...Carleton...Middleton.

If you want "real" cities, then I would vote to pick cities that might possibly be future Major League teams...and include North American and South American cities.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-13-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:26 AM   #70
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 38x in 32 posts
Quote:
As I understand it, you want the committee and me to come up with cities and nicknames. I intend to include anyone who volunteered in this thread and will get their input. It will not just be my decision...it will be by a majority of the committee.

Be aware when you throw out all of the professional nicknames, you really limit the number of generic nicknames.

I take it you want us to use "real" city names and not "fictional" city names?

By "real" I mean like Portland, Oregon...Santiago, Chile...San Antonio, Texas...as opposed to "fictional" like North River...St. Alabaster...Carleton...Middleton.
Nah, there are a million nicknames out there not being used by NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL. I'm sure the community can come up with bucket loads.

We'll use REAL cities only. See my earlier post about using the top 100 populated cities or 230 cities over 100,000 residents. No need getting into tiny bergs. Most people don't want a team in their fictional league from Big Spring, Texas or Paso Robles, CA.

Be careful not to include too many people on the city/nckname choosing process. Logo designers can get tipped off for a head start or influence the decision

I agree, shooting for 20 logos is better. Even 20 seems ambitious. We can add to it later if we choose.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:35 AM   #71
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

OK, I will limit the city name/nickname committee to just a few...and will not include any designers.

The cities will be real ones...with Major League populations...will include Canada, Caribbean, and South America.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:55 AM   #72
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LivnLegend:

If we do one logo per week, it will take about 10 months to do 40 logos.
I noticed the same thing, that is a rather long time. Twenty sounds like a decent starting number; either that, or perhaps once things are rolling along the timetable could be trimmed slightly to get a new logo every 5 days instead of 7, for example.

Quote:
Nah, there are a million nicknames out there not being used by NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL. I'm sure the community can come up with bucket loads.
Well, I think it's somewhat restrictive, but not insurmountably so. What about a few names from, say, the minors of the pro leagues, like the International League or the American Hockey League? Are these out of bounds or might some of them be worthy of consideration?

Also, just a personal preference, but I'd prefer if the team nickname was at least a potentially real one. So, say something like "Hyenas" or "Thunderbolts" would be more likely to be a real team name than something off-the-wall or fanciful like "Paper Shufflers" or "Cauliflowers."

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
Old 01-13-2005, 02:58 AM   #73
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, just a personal preference, but I'd prefer if the team nickname was at least a potentially real one. So, say something like "Hyenas" or "Thunderbolts" would be more likely to be a real team name than something off-the-wall or fanciful like "Paper Shufflers" or "Cauliflowers."
Good news for you, LGO.

For my vote on the committee, the logos will be traditional baseball names...no "Cauliflowers" or "Paper Shufflers".
Old 01-13-2005, 04:30 AM   #74
Muppetus Galacticus
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 41x in 29 posts
Too late for me to stick my name down?! I haven't had the inspiration to do any logos for a while now but I'm back to fight for the wooden spoon

My Sports Replay Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met Police football club blow a late three goal lead
As for the Met, coming away from Essex with a point has to rank as one their biggest disappointments since failing to catch Jack The Ripper in the late 1800's.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:24 AM   #75
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

It should be noted, however, that "Paper Shufflers" might be a good name for a Washington, D.C. based franchise...

Old 01-13-2005, 10:10 AM   #76
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It should be noted, however, that "Paper Shufflers" might be a good name for a Washington, D.C. based franchise...
Party Politicians (as in "to party" and "partisan politics")...Partizans...Pork Barrelers...Millionaires...Lobby Boys...Special Interests...Gridlockers...Moneywasters

They really as a group are not worth spending this much time on...and I'm sure that are much more appropriate names.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:17 AM   #77
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I have added a member to the Team Name/Nickname committee and he has already submitted a list of 25 possible cities...I am awaiting a reply from a third person, who will also submit a list of possible cities...I will also post a thread on the Main Forum and here on this board asking for members to submit their suggustions. I will compile a list of all suggestions and give them to the other committee members and we will negotiate and pare the list down to 20 cities. Then we will choose the nicknames for the 20 cities.

I plan to do this in the next few days, so we can get started...maybe next week.

If you know of a better way to do...or if you have any objections...please let me know here.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #78
jnshmoo
All Star Starter

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
In the event that we get more than 10 entries for a particular logo, we could do a sort-of tournament poll.

Say we get 14 submissions. Post two polls with 7 logos in each poll, maybe only use a one day limit on voting. Then, after those polls close, take the top 10 vote receiving logos and enter them in the final poll.

Otherwise, we'd have to have some sort of judge to decide which ones were left out. I suppose we could also make it first come first served. Once 10 logo submissions are received, the contest is closed and the poll is posted. This might put too much time pressure on everyone if there is a lot of interest, though.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:41 AM   #79
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 38x in 32 posts
Quote:
Well, I think it's somewhat restrictive, but not insurmountably so. What about a few names from, say, the minors of the pro leagues, like the International League or the American Hockey League? Are these out of bounds or might some of them be worthy of consideration?

Yes, I mentioned earlier that the team nicknames should be a bit more generic in order to appeal to a broad cross-section of users. The OTBL team names may fit the league well but would probably not appeal to the general OOTP community looking to add to their own leagues. And when I said no MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL team nicknames, I was speaking of the major league parent clubs and not their minor league affiliates. I certainly do not know all the minor league team names and I doubt many here do.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:20 AM   #80
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetus Galacticus
Too late for me to stick my name down?! I haven't had the inspiration to do any logos for a while now but I'm back to fight for the wooden spoon
You can still enter your creations...just be one of the first ten to submit it...we can only poll 10 logos...we will still use any extras that don't get in soon enough...all logos will be put on JoeRock's and BigCity's sites in compilations that can be downloaded.