Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 09-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
wildcatrevival
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 13x in 11 posts
historical/fictional with Spritze

I have never tried historical play before and I have been reading trying to understand how it all works. What I want to do is start at the beginning on the 1991 season with my Atlanta Braves and pilot them through their golden years. I am using the Spritze DB with Real Teams, High School, No Asians from the Padresfan site. Essentially I want a fictional sim but with real players, so the players are drafted with their real team and then the development engine kicks in and they have to navigate their way through the minors. The main problem I am having is that when I loaded the database tons of top players are in the free agent pool. Whole teams are missing most of their teams to free agency. The Yankees have a bunch of 22 year olds starting for them and Don Mattingly is a free agent. What did I do wrong?
wildcatrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Thanked 3,239x in 1,907 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatrevival View Post
I have never tried historical play before and I have been reading trying to understand how it all works. What I want to do is start at the beginning on the 1991 season with my Atlanta Braves and pilot them through their golden years. I am using the Spritze DB with Real Teams, High School, No Asians from the Padresfan site. Essentially I want a fictional sim but with real players, so the players are drafted with their real team and then the development engine kicks in and they have to navigate their way through the minors. The main problem I am having is that when I loaded the database tons of top players are in the free agent pool. Whole teams are missing most of their teams to free agency. The Yankees have a bunch of 22 year olds starting for them and Don Mattingly is a free agent. What did I do wrong?
To do this you may want the Gambo DB, Lahman Team Abbreviations changed is why you get players as free agents. The New! Improved! Spritze db that fixes this is available but Gambo is handling the Real Teams version.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
wildcatrevival (09-05-2010)
Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
wildcatrevival
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 13x in 11 posts
thank you so much. i saw this mentioned in another thread but i guess i didnt understand what it meant. thanks for your work to make this possible.
wildcatrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 904x in 479 posts
I'll get my version fixed up as soon as possible with Spritze's latest additions.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
DesktopDynasties
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Are these files uploaded to Padres fan site yet? If not, where can I get them. I tried over the weekend and still get the results mentioned above.
DesktopDynasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

OOTP Databases

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
Old 11-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
DesktopDynasties
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
When I use the Gambo database, I still have most players showing up as free agents instead of importing to their original teams.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Now there will be alot of Free Agents. Essentially anybody who ever played in the majors who is 35 or younger is included even if they were not on a roster. You will expect to have a large free agent pool.

Take a look at your teams and see how many players are on their rosters. You should have at least (in a post 1960 era) 50 or so players including guys who have not made their debut.

If that is not the case make sure you are using .odb file and it is properly extracted into the directory you are using.

OOTP MODS:
available at...
Old 11-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
DesktopDynasties
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Gambo,

I love your database and have been trying to get it to work with 11. However, I am seeing high school players coming out and signing with teams other than those that they broke in with. This is similar to the scenario posed in the beginning of this thread.

So in my universe, players like Ty Cobb are signed as a Free Agent in February when he is imported into the game and begins his career with somebody other than the team that the player historically played for (e.g. Tigers). I thought that they would import with their original teams. Am I incorrect?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

The catch is that the database includes actual minor league seasons and team assignments. Ty Cobb started in 1904 with Anniston and then went on the Augusta that year and in 1905. These are independent minor league teams. He eventually signed with the Tigers in late 1905 so the database is correct. Ty Cobb will import as a free agent correctly.

That is the inherent flaw with the database as these players and Pacific Coast League guys and Negro Leaguers will import as Free Agents. This is is truth of what occured.

I have toyed with the idea of having the database import players like these on their original teams but haven't done so and probably will not.

Situations like these will improve as you progress, especially in the 1940s but by 1960 the issue is gone as there really are no longer any independent minor leagues except a few teams.

OOTP MODS:
available at...
Old 11-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
DesktopDynasties
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh......makes perfect sense. I can work with that.

Thanks for the speedy updates.