Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #41
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer
 
Le Grande Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Crossing the Rubicon
Posts: 14,736
Thanks: 41
Thanked 4,408x in 2,483 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breich View Post
Will there be special cases for TV contracts when a team gets promoted/relegated? Currently our promo/relegation league has TV contracts to $0 because of the use case where a team locks up a TV contract in a higher league, tanks to a lower league, but still banks the better contract.
Real life again provides reference. If I recall correctly, clubs relegated from the Premier League received, for a period of time, half the normal television contract revenue it received while in the Premier League, in order to ease their transition into the lower level league and its lower level of typical revenue.
__________________
.
"You're sad that people are mean? Well, I'm sorry, the world isn't one big liberal arts campus."
— Reality, South Park

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
— Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #42
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,099
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,355
Thanked 2,124x in 1,211 posts
This is probably the best new feature this year!
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Kobeck (01-27-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #43
reo
Minors (Triple A)
 
reo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern California (east bay)
Posts: 206
Thanks: 106
Thanked 24x in 20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Incredible! We've been asking for this for years! Very excited to see it.
Definitely. I am too! Fictional players ftw!
__________________
Richie Renard: Come on Bobby! Hit a Home Run!
Gil Renard: Don't get greedy, son. Don't get greedy. What we need now is a sacrifice. A winning team has to know how to manufacture runs. Coop taught me that. He used to say the most beautiful play in the game is a sacrifice fly, and you know why?
Richie Renard: 'Cause you give yourself up for the team?
Gil Renard: And it doesn't even count against your average. That's why baseball's better than life - it's fair.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
daguruvjt (01-24-2017), jpeters1734 (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #44
mgom27
Hall Of Famer
 
mgom27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,207
Thanks: 2,008
Thanked 289x in 220 posts
Olympics? TV/Annoucers Contacts that are real ones? Fir WBC just using like USA and so on Teams.
__________________
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
mgom27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:53 AM   #45
kq76
Global Moderator
 
kq76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 8,879
Thanks: 1,199
Thanked 939x in 528 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Promotion/Relegation is definitely a cool addition, but it's such an alien concept to American sports and most American sports fans in general.

Can you imagine, for example, someone buying the Yankees for $3.5 billion, followed immediately by them having a crummy year and ending up in last place and then being "relegated" to AAA for the following season, where they would play such prestigious teams like the Syracuse Chiefs, Rochester Red Wings, and the Las Vegas 51s? Ticket sales would plummet, the fans would riot, and the owner's new $3.5 billion dollar toy would probably end up depreciating in value by 250%.
I don't think it needs to be done exactly the way it's done elsewhere in the world. For example, I've done leagues where I've only split MLB into 2 tiers, minor leagues all stay like they are now, but one tier is the top the other is the bottom and that's it. It'd be like the Yankees getting relegated to the same division as the Twins, Rays, and As for a year or two. But with them being the Yankees with their market you needn't worry that they would be in the lower tier for too long. (And in my league the champion of the lower tier still gets a shot at the playoffs championship.) For comparison, how often isn't that top market teams like ManU or Arsenal get demoted or even worse, stay demoted for longer than a year or two? I don't follow soccer closely, but I doubt that happens much if ever.
__________________
Support the one-and-done DH or the SP-only DH
(I think they're both better than both the AL and NL games)
and more flexible substitution rules.

kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #46
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Juust a bit outside...
Posts: 4,198
Thanks: 957
Thanked 2,128x in 1,216 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
I don't think it needs to be done exactly the way it's done elsewhere in the world. For example, I've done leagues where I've only split MLB into 2 tiers, minor leagues all stay like they are now, but one tier is the top the other is the bottom and that's it. It'd be like the Yankees getting relegated to the same division as the Twins, Rays, and As for a year or two. But with them being the Yankees with their market you needn't worry that they would be in the lower tier for too long. (And in my league the champion of the lower tier still gets a shot at the playoffs championship.) For comparison, how often isn't that top market teams like ManU or Arsenal get demoted or even worse, stay demoted for longer than a year or two? I don't follow soccer closely, but I doubt that happens much if ever.
That's how i've done pro/reg before. SL1 was my "premier" league and SL2 was the relegated league. The only difference is I customized the playoffs to only use SL1 teams.
__________________
"Cannonball Coming!" Go Bucs!!
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #47
elchriso
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 18
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27x in 8 posts
Perhaps a minor detail, but do you think the game is able to factor in market size in a pro/rel setup? Before this upcoming edition I felt the game assumed teams were within the same general realm of financial ability to compete with eachother. Sure there are small and big market teams but the small market team can still win the World Series on occasion. However, if you want to make a really deep setup, is the game setup in a way that a team from Shereveport, Louisiana realistically isn't going to be able to go toe to toe with the Yankees and probably doesn't have the financial muscle to make it too high up the ranks?
elchriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #48
waltwa
All Star Reserve
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 33x in 24 posts
I don't really understand the concept discussed here but but it sounds like a soccer concept. beware the last time this league went in a soccer direction (2006) it really hurt the league
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #49
slugger922cubs
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 309
Thanks: 8
Thanked 121x in 84 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchriso View Post
Perhaps a minor detail, but do you think the game is able to factor in market size in a pro/rel setup? Before this upcoming edition I felt the game assumed teams were within the same general realm of financial ability to compete with eachother. Sure there are small and big market teams but the small market team can still win the World Series on occasion. However, if you want to make a really deep setup, is the game setup in a way that a team from Shereveport, Louisiana realistically isn't going to be able to go toe to toe with the Yankees and probably doesn't have the financial muscle to make it too high up the ranks?
OOTP already takes into account "market size". Although it is a separate input that can be edited in commissioner mode. I believe the reason it isn't formally tied to geographic cities is the population of a city is not completely related to the size of a team's "market". For example if you look at hockey. Many Canadian cities are small by comparison to American cities but they are loaded with hockey fans and thus have bigger markets.
Another instance is shared markets. The Giants and A's share a market yet clearly have different market sizes. Separating market size from population maintains the ability to customize these relationships.

I have a fictional league I run based in Australia where I have teams from large cities regularly and usually perennially making a "champions league playoffs" and teams in smaller cities and towns rarely snagging them. But it took some tinkering with market size numbers to get the balance right.
slugger922cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #50
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Juust a bit outside...
Posts: 4,198
Thanks: 957
Thanked 2,128x in 1,216 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwa View Post
I don't really understand the concept discussed here but but it sounds like a soccer concept. beware the last time this league went in a soccer direction (2006) it really hurt the league
This league? Lol. Pro/reg isn't a soccer concept. It's used throughout the world in many sports, including baseball.

So what hurt the "league" in 2006?
__________________
"Cannonball Coming!" Go Bucs!!
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Kbo17 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #51
professor ape
All Star Reserve
 
professor ape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The belly of the beast
Posts: 603
Thanks: 96
Thanked 187x in 76 posts
No question from my end at this point but I wanted to make sure to thank the team for getting this into 18! I have been waiting for this for years and now fear for my free time this summer.
professor ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #52
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,699
Thanks: 750
Thanked 590x in 418 posts
How will tie breakers work between teams that are up for demotion?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #53
Matt Uk
Major Leagues
 
Matt Uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 449
Thanks: 467
Thanked 270x in 150 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Real life again provides reference. If I recall correctly, clubs relegated from the Premier League received, for a period of time, half the normal television contract revenue it received while in the Premier League, in order to ease their transition into the lower level league and its lower level of typical revenue.

Relegated teams receive what they call parachute payments. They now receive them for three years ( 55%, 45% then 20% of the normal tv contract) unless they are relegated in their first season in which case they only get them for two years when they get 55% then 45%.

The latest tv rights deal was 5.3 billion for the 3 year period. A staggering figure that is ruining the game further down. The Premier League is in danger of becoming a closed shop with a lot of the same teams getting promoted after being relegated

Last edited by Matt Uk; 01-25-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Matt Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments