Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #21
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Thanked 704x in 361 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
idk why but that cracked me up
Me too!
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #22
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,806x in 1,460 posts
you can afford a ~180m payroll with just about any team. that extra 20+M can be a big deal relative to consistency, but you should be able to ebb and flow with cheaper talent mixed with a few FA signed at the right time.

with the dodgers... well, you won't be strapped for budget space often.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Airdrop01 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #23
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Yes, I could afford it, but the owner is set up to cut me to <$100MM budget when untradeable contracts are more than that. CM is quite literally not possible to stay and not get fired from the Royals.

But, the Dodgers, it's easy. So far, I've signed Mike Trout, traded for Joey Gallo, and have something like $130MM left in budget space. I seriously didn't sign some guys because it would make it too easy to win 80% of even simmed games.

I really wish I hadn't set this up in CM, because the AI is gonna butcher Escobedo now!!

I wish there was a way to convert a CM save to a regular save so I could commissioner myself back to KC, set myself in charge of the budget, and win with that team that is an Ian Kennedy year away from competing!!!

Last edited by Airdrop01; 07-21-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #24
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

bah to owners... it's a video game. it's no fun to be treated as middle management while playing as a GM in a baseball computer game.

nudge, nudge, wink, wink... play your royals, but if decent at speculating income, you set the budgets relative to expected income.
Thank you for this post:
Airdrop01 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #25
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Yeah. I'm gonna have to hope for another scouting find!

I'm gonna play them and forget the Challenge Mode! You're right. The game is for fun and this was really fun to build it until I got canned.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #26
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 357x in 202 posts
Do you still have the option of "Cannot be Fired" in Challenge Mode? I've never played CM so I'm not sure.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #27
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Do you still have the option of "Cannot be Fired" in Challenge Mode? I've never played CM so I'm not sure.
Nope. It's a bummer.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #28
Romagoth
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 63x in 43 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
...I seriously didn't sign some guys because it would make it too easy to win 80% of even simmed games...
I'm not so sure about this. My budget with the Yankees went up to nearly $400mil so I said screw it, let's sign a bunch of good free agents and make trades. Things did not go well...at all. In fact, my team sucked so bad that I decided to restart and play the way I prefer (building through the draft).

Team chemistry has a lot to do with things in OOTP as well, and bringing in a ton of high priced players doesn't necessarily guarantee success, at least in my experience.
Romagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #29
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Thanked 155x in 102 posts
I kinda want to start a Royals CM franchise to see if the hypothesis is true.

I think we can all agree that Andrew Romine and Tony Wolters deserve 5 star ratings right?

"My name's A.J Preller and welcome to Jacka$$."
TuckerDuckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #30
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerDuckson View Post
I kinda want to start a Royals CM franchise to see if the hypothesis is true.
I've tried it several times. Now, I don't play every game because if I did, then I'd never make it to year five and also, it'd be gaming the system.

I've invited numerous people who said they'd do it to do it. Go ahead. Unless you jack with things like enabling draft pick trading, development rates, maybe change talent randomness to maximum so as to help more prospects develop (the bad ones are already bad so you'd not be hurting yourself but helping draft after draft), etc., it's not possible....and I haven't even mentioned the finances yet..... Well, at least I haven't found a way and no of no one who has.

Maybe if you turn off owner goals it would possibly help you keep your job...I don't know...

Last edited by Airdrop01; 07-21-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:46 PM   #31
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Quote:
I've tried it several times. Now, I don't play every game because if I did, then I'd never make it to year five and also, it'd be gaming the system.

I've invited numerous people who said they'd do it to do it. Go ahead. Unless you jack with things like enabling draft pick trading, development rates, maybe change talent randomness to maximum so as to help more prospects develop (the bad ones are already bad so you'd not be hurting yourself but helping draft after draft), etc., it's not possible....and I haven't even mentioned the finances yet..... Well, at least I haven't found a way and no of no one who has.

Maybe if you turn off owner goals it would possibly help you keep your job...I don't know...
Bet, I'll do it right now

I think we can all agree that Andrew Romine and Tony Wolters deserve 5 star ratings right?

Old 07-21-2017, 10:48 PM   #32
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you cant just throw money at the problem... even if well-rated on the surface.

but, you definitely can take more of what it gives you with a good-sized budget. spent smarlty, you can make-up for slim years of player procurement or a tail-end of a trading spree.

whtever my budget is, i understand how many high-end contracts i can afford.. and that ebbs and flows a bit relative to how many young/cheap players are contributing to the 25-man roster.

even the yankees can only have so many $25-to-$30 million dollar players and still fill out hte rest of the team with resepctable everyday mlb players. 10 $tuds plus younger future studs, then 60-80m to fill out the rest.. could be 10-15 hof'ers any any time with a budget like that.... and sinc eyou continually win, you can set your budget like clockwork.

you don't get that type of team overnight, nor do you get to spend like a drunk sailor while you accumualte them... then it's a process of managing turnover... but from a position of leverage, so it's more a matter of discipline and selling early rather than too late.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-21-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #33
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

But see, the problem is that you literally have zero dollars to spend on free agents for the first few years. You can't dump Gordon. You can't dump Kennedy. You can't dump Minor, Young, Hammel, Soria, Wood, Moss, Soler or for that matter starting in about 18, Duffy (who is of course underrated as well).

That is over $105,000,000 in 2018 money and it gets worse from there.

You can't control any money because you have no control. You can make $50,000,000 in 2017 and you still can't spend it because you don't control the pre programmed budget of the 2005 David Glass in the game. Your best bet is if you let Hosmer, Moustakas and Cain go, they're rated so badly that you can usually sign them for around $2,000,000 each in April of 2018. That's best case. So assume that, you end up with $111,000,000 and you haven't fielded an offense or a rotation yet.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 07-21-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #34
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

If I do this I want the title of OOTP Guru

Thank you for this post:
Airdrop01 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #35
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerDuckson View Post
If I do this I want the title of OOTP Guru
I'll make one (a banner) for you, baby! But you've got to give your absolute word you won't jack with the default settings.
Attached Images

Last edited by Airdrop01; 07-21-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #36
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Only switched TCR to 115 because that's what I play at in reg CM, rest is all default.

Thank you for this post:
Airdrop01 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #37
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

I'll let the 115 slide. Don't reshuffle the ammy drafts either.

Seriously, good luck. I am stoked!! I hope you do it and give me the blueprint!!
Old 07-22-2017, 12:51 AM   #38
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Good Luck?

Old 07-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #39
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But see, the problem is that you literally have zero dollars to spend on free agents for the first few years. You can't dump Gordon. You can't dump Kennedy. You can't dump Minor, Young, Hammel, Soria, Wood, Moss, Soler or for that matter starting in about 18, Duffy (who is of course underrated as well).

That is over $105,000,000 in 2018 money and it gets worse from there.

You can't control any money because you have no control. You can make $50,000,000 in 2017 and you still can't spend it because you don't control the pre programmed budget of the 2005 David Glass in the game. Your best bet is if you let Hosmer, Moustakas and Cain go, they're rated so badly that you can usually sign them for around $2,000,000 each in April of 2018. That's best case. So assume that, you end up with $111,000,000 and you haven't fielded an offense or a rotation yet.
oh, that was in reply to the other post with a big budget and not winning.

i get the problem. the less you have, the tougher it is. at some point it requires a team of kids, which is tough to get all at once.

i think the biggest thing with KC and your situationis the owner is cheap, eh? how much wasted revenue each year?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #40
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Well, this shouldn't be hard. Basically a .500 team, was able to satisfy the owner by extending a hurt Chris Young for less than $1 Million. All Stars were Hunter Renfroe, Michael Socolovich, Salvador Perez, and Danny Duffy.

Traded/Got Rid Of: Moustakas, Hosmer, Wood, Cain, Escobar, Soria, Moss all for free. By the end of the season I had $14 Million for free agents, with the 19th biggest player payroll of just shy of $97 Million.

Kept: Gordon, who put up 3.0+ WAR, Perez, who was also good on offense, Kennedy, who I just shifted to the bullpen, and Hammels, whose contract I'm going to eat when I release him in the offseason. I kept Minor because his name is cool.

Yes. This lineup of nobodies put up 80 wins, along with that rotation.

I mean once I pull my offseason magic with the Rule 5 draft and adding key free agents like an actual shortstop, rotational depth and along with pulling up Josh Naylor, who I got in the trade for Renfroe, in 2018. I expect a playoff appearance by 2019.

I really thought about tanking for Beer. But I realized that even if I tanked. The Reds never signed Hunter Greene in the 2017 draft, so that means that they would likely draft him so I decided to stick to my guts and keep the owner happy.

Along with freeing money, keeping the owner happy and such: I have an ecstatic team chemistry even though we are .500.

I want that title yo.

Last edited by TuckerDuckson; 07-22-2017 at 08:08 PM.