Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
holes573
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Automatically Changing Control of Lineups/Rotation

Relatively new to the game - just a month or two. First time post, but I have gotten a lot out of lurking for a while.

I'm guessing I have a bug, or else something is awfully weird.

I have been through several seasons of a fictitious league as GM. I have set myself as the one responsible for setting the lineups and the pitching staff. It has worked perfectly, up until recently. In the current season, about the middle of August, all of a sudden the manager took over the lineups and pitching staff. I changed nothing from one game to the next.

On the Control & Autoplay Settings page, the two dropdown menus for the control of those two functions are now set to the Manager and are inoperable - I can't change them back to my control, even in Commissioner Mode.

So, I went back a month to my previous backup and played it all over again - happened again (at a different date). Tried it a third time. Same thing.

Thoughts?
holes573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 593x in 474 posts
1) Do you have a separate commissioner account? Are you in that account and "Act As" you manager?
2) There is an option in "Control and Auto Play" manager settings to "Do not disturb" at the top right. Is that checked?
3) Did you confirm you are the active manager?
4) Can you change the other options in "Team Control Settings"?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #3
holes573
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
1) I'm not sure what a "separate commissioner account" is. But, I am designated, and have always been designated only as the GM.

2) Do Not Disturb is not checked, and never has been.

3) Again, not sure what "Active Manager" is. I can tell you that I have set lineups and pitching staff for years and the manager has always followed those. I set myself up as the one in charge of all functions except minor league promotions and minor league lineups.

4) Yes, I can change all of those other options. Just not the first two.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:01 AM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Thanked 10,595x in 4,172 posts
If you are playing GM-only mode, then if your coach is more controlling and highly rated he will take control of the lineups and won't let you set them.

You either have to live with it, or there is the option for using "legacy mode" where coaches can't do that.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
holes573
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I have had the same manager for 4 years without him doing that. Plus, his "personality" is Normal, not Controlling. I checked, and his personality didn't change before and after I lost control.

I'm not sure what this "legacy mode" is, but is it something I could try, even if his controlling personality isn't the culprit?
Old 03-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,794x in 1,450 posts
manager's evolve... even a personable coach can become picky at things...

typically this happens with a lot of success.

google, or search the online manual (google does a better job, imo, if you add "ootp 17 manual" to a search.

global settings -> bottom left side, a check box

there's some main spots for settings you should learn - manager's office (email alerts, delegation), global settings(basic / players face gen - not likely the others, but possibly), league settings(rules, finances, stats and ai + more) and team settings. probably won't do much in team settings except when creating a league.

(don't use "prevent ai from roster changes" in team settings... use GM-Legacy mode to avoid other ramifications of this particular setting... e.g. no ability to delegate anything and the ai won't do squat for you when you forget to do somethign like set lineups for 1 MiL team, a couple injuries to SPs and you end up with a 2man rotation when not looking... the ai will play 9 defenders with an empty depth chart, but it won't fix your rotation)

some things require comissioner mode to see. that's in manager's office somewhere.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
holes573
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I did an experiment. I used commissioner mode to change my manager from Normal personality to Personable.

So far (after two months), the lineups/rotation have not been taken over.

I knew that a Controlling manager could do that, and even suspected that a Temperamental manager could do that, but I'm surprised that a Normal one could.

If the evolve, as you say NoOne, you would expect some indication that this is happening (e.g., he's no longer Normal, now he's Temperamental or Controlling).
Old 03-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the color coded Strategy screen... things will go from Green to yellow to red over time and success. the losers don't demand much. obviously reputation goes up, but once legendary i don't think that's where the changes stop relative to what tehy want to control.

i'm not sure if it changes at "offseason" or Jan 1 or ... the timing will be consistent, if not the same day (some thigns are relative to opening day, for example).

even an easygoing or personalbe coach will eventually be stingy with this stuff... maybe it takes 10WS for them to do it, but it does happen.. i've never paid close attention to that stuff, but i mess with strategy often... i always have legacy mode on so cannot give details about when, but i see all red in leagues where i control a yankees-esque market size, because its nearly impossible to miss the playoffs with that kind of revenue (video game, not RL, although they come close).

i make my coach as "me." i set strategy and sliders as i want them... i typically use a easygoing or personable due to relationaships... it still says development environment "excellent", so i figure it's best of both worlds? no experimenting, though. i only do that because i'm assuming a human coach is just 100/200 ratings? LoL i'm better than that!

Last edited by NoOne; 03-05-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,412x in 2,293 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Stupid question time....but by any chance did you get fired?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #10
holes573
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Nope. I can't be.

But, the team has had some success. Last couple years made the playoffs, so that must be it.

Lunkhead manager ... who does he think is responsible for our success? I ought to have a heart to heart with him!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
bigsmooth
Major Leagues

Thanked 33x in 28 posts
I'd fire you

You are the GM, be the GM ---- you hired a manager - let him run the lineups and pitching staff --- that's his role.

Last edited by bigsmooth; 03-08-2017 at 08:08 AM.
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:33 AM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there's more ways to play the game than yours (plural).

i missed something above...

they do evolve over time - ratings change for sure. i don't think peronality or strategy changes though.

their control preferences can change though. So, in year 1-5 they may not be to picky.. .but if you keep winning and he gets a big reputation etc etc .... things will change.

strategy screen color-code - green to yellow to red etc... for the various things in some random order.

My coach is a mini-me, lol. so, i have no ethical problems changing my sliders as i'd want them I tell my players what to do too - player strats... they reset when they leave your team so it's all good. it's implicit in all contracts signed... imersion, right? lol, but only in acceptable ways?

Last edited by NoOne; 03-08-2017 at 04:34 AM.