Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team is LIVE!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Rainbow Dash
Bat Boy

Thanked 3x in 3 posts
Who should have been on the 2004 USA Men's Basketball Team

As we get closer to the 15th anniversary of the 2004 Olympics, I figured to talk about the 2004 USA Men's Basketball team. Now we all know that the 2004 USA menís basketball roster won the bronze medal because of poor defense, too many young players, the players not fitting into Larry Brownís system, and superstars either not wanting to travel due to 9/11, injuries, marriages, or just didnít want too. Hereís the roster of the team

F- Lamar Odom
F- Shawn Marion
F- Carmelo Anthony
G- Allen Iverson
C- Tim Duncan
C- Amar'e Stoudemire
PF- Emeka Okafor
PF- Carlos Boozer
SF- Richard Jefferson
SF- LeBron James
SG- Dwyane Wade
PG- Stephon Marbury

Head Coach
Larry Brown

Assistant Coaches
Gregg Popovich
Roy Williams
Oliver Purnell

Now I donít have a problem with Allen Iverson and Tim Duncan. In fact, I donít have a problem with Larry Brown being head coach either. It would have been fine to have this roster if this was 2008, but this was 2004. Those guys with the exception of Iverson, Duncan, and Coach Brown should have not been there. Hereís who should have been on the 2004 USA menís basketball roster

Starting Lineup
C- Ben Wallace
PF- Rasheed Wallace
SF- Tayshaun Prince
SG- Richard Hamilton
PG- Chauncey Billups

Bench
C- Tim Duncan
PF- Zach Randolph
SF- Bruce Bowen
SG- Doug Christie
PG- Sam Cassell
F- Corliss Williamson
G- Allen Iverson

Head Coach
Larry Brown

Assistant Coaches
Herb Brown
Dave Hanners
John Kuester
Mike Woodson

This team would not be too old, but not too young either. I know what youíre thinking, the coaching staff, and half of the roster including all 5 starters is from the 2004 NBA champions Detroit Pistons. And I say this, because that starting lineup is the most underrated in NBA history because all 5 of them are reliable. It would also boost team chemistry. In fact, I wouldnít be surprised if Corliss Williamson is the teamís 6th man because of that said chemistry with those 5 starters. Plus, they know the coaching staff. Speaking of which, the coaching staff also knows Allen Iverson. And if Michal Jordan and Scottie Pippin could win the NBA championship and get the gold medal in the same year, why not those 6 players. With those 5 starters plus Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen, they wonít have to score a lot. Instead, they would be the most physical men's basketball team in all of the Olympics. I wouldnít be surprised if this team set records with the least points given up in an Olympic event as this would be the most defensive team in USA menís Basketball history. Remember, defense wins championships. Tell me, who do you think should have been on the 2004 USA menís basketball roster?
Old 12-26-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 404x in 300 posts
I have no fault with the personel on that team. And I never placed any fault with the USA for losing. It was the perfect storm: Int'l teams were no longer intimidated by NBA stars; the novelty & prestige of being on the Dream Team sequel had worn off, the political climate scared players off, the NBA still looked at the Olympic team as an NBA public service announcement.

I don't think it would have been fair to the Pistons franchise to bear nearly the entire burden of playing in the summer after playing in June. I'm sure Dumars & ownership would have strongly objected to assuming the risks of their players getting hurt.

Frankly, the USA could use some humble pie every now and then.

I only fault LB for not trying a "shock & awe" type philosophy. The team had no continuity & no time to develop chemistry. The only advantage they had was an overwhelming stockpile of talent. IMO, that team should have abandoned conventional means & just pressed & ran all game long. Subbing like a hockey team. Send everyone in for 5 minutes of pure havoc then sit down & rest for the next shift. You had a lot of immaturity on that 2004 squad. And a stubborn perfectionist trying to enforce some kind of will on players he would have control over for just a couple months. LB needed to let go and realize this wasn't going to be your normal tournament. They could have worn teams down. Instead, they tried to win a monster truck rally w/a Formula 1 racer.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 866x in 496 posts
I very much disagree with your roster.

G - Jason Kidd
G - Tracy McGrady
F - Kevin Garnett (coming off his best NBA season)
F - Tim Duncan
F - Shaq (One of the few Lakers who did not **** the bed during the playoffs and his numbers were depressed by him and Kobe being mortal enemies by this point)

Bench

F - Ben Wallace
G - Baron Davis
F - Shawn Marion
G - Ray Allen
F - Lebron James
G - Chauncey Billups
F - Brad Miller

Coach - Anyone but Brown. I would of taken Chuck Daly out of retirement first.
Or even the Corpse of Red Aurbach (yes I know he was still alive in the summer of 2004)

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 12-26-2018 at 08:14 PM.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote