Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team is LIVE!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 398x in 295 posts
College basketball thoughts

Now that 2019 is upon us and the non conference part of the schedule is just about done............

........What in the world has happened to the Pac12? If not for Arizona St's shocker vs then #1 Kansas, this season would be a total disaster for the conference. No one is without at least 3 losses. This week, Az St came in as the conference's only ranked team, then lost to now 7-5 Princeton. UCLA's 4 game losing streak includes 2 home losses to Belmont & Liberty. Oregon lost @ home to 5-8 Tx Southern. Cal got beat by Seattle. Seattle hasn't been good since Elgin Baylor graduated.8-6 Santa Clara has beaten USC & Wash St back to back. You can currently make an argument that the West Coast Conference is superior to the Pac12........

.......I watched UNC host Davidson yesterday. I don't remember dook ever being mentioned. I think that's the 1st time this season. Nice......

......speaking of the dookies......Jan 8th, the devils play their first road game. 13 games without playing in someone else's home gym. This is nothing new. From the 2010 season onward, koach k has scheduled on his own just 5 non-conference road games (keeping in mind the ACC & Big T1e4n challenge are out of ratface's control) His record is 2-3 in those contests. Those road games include a long trip to UNC-Greensboro. The others are a loss @ Temple & 3 vs St.John's. And, of course, we know k wants to take his team every year to the NYC area because they have such a huge fan base there.

So the only time k really sought to challenge his team on the road (somewhat) in the last 9 seasons was Jan 4, 2012 when he took Austin Rivers, Seth Curry & 2 Plumlees to Philly & lost to the Owls.

No member of the c-bball media will call it out. But we know what word describes scheduling like that: COWARDLY. While they are looking at all of these formulas to gauge a team's worth & seeding, I hope they penalize schools for scheduling like this. I understand powerhouses taking advantage of the deck being stacked towards them. But k's policy of scheduling a home game & then "returning the favor" by agreeing to play on a neutral site elitist arrogance @ its highest point........

.....Haven't been able to find video, so I'll have to describe it to you the best I can.....St.John's lost their first game in a terribly unfair fashion. They lost a 16 pt 2nd half lead in the closing seconds, but managed 2 ft's to go back up by 1. After the ball went OB off a Red Storm player, Seton Hall attempted to inbound w/3.9 left.

Here's where it get weird. A St.J's player makes a terrific defensive play. He deflects the inbounds pass, then leaps out of bounds to tap the ball to a teammate, who has a clear unimpeded path to the basket. However, the ref blows his whistle. The explanation given after a long delay? The noticed the clock operator didn't start the clock when the ball was 1st contacted. So the officials put 3.1 ticks on the clock.......Hmmmm.....So they want us to believe in .8 secs, the ref noticed the tipped ball, the clock at a standstill, and blew the whistle to correct the error....Hmmmm.....Why can't they just admit the ref screwed up and anticipated the ball going out of bounds before it actually happened? Man up! It's not going to make the Red Storm less frustrated. But don't screw me & infuriate me by justifying your screwing me.

Of course, the Pirates get a 2nd chance & hit a buzzer beating 3 pointer to win the game. No telling what the reprecussions could be for the season to come. Conference standings? Tournament seedings? Tournament berths? The zebras need to be held accountable.......

......Big 12ish......until one of you can keep Kansas from dominating the league, you will never hear me acknowledge you as the top basketball conference in the NCAA's. You can't be the best if one team has won the title 14 years in a row.......

....Who is the best? I give the Big T1e4n a very slight edge over the ACC. While the ACC currently has 4 teams ranked in the top 4, I think the T1e4n a tiny bit more depth. The ACC can climb above, but it depends on how the middle does. Still too many questions about 'Cuse, L'ville, Clemson & Boston College. Pittsburgh has been a surprise. Irish have been a disappointment. Unless disaster strikes, I think the T1e4n can get 8 minimum into the tourney......

.....SEC has shown improvement. They could see 6-7 playing in March.....

.....I hope the committee is willing to look @ Tx Southern & Furman as potential at large teams if they don't win their conference tournaments. TxS is 5-8. But 11 of their 13 games have been on the road. And they have wins over Baylor, Oregon & Tx A&M. Losses include the Zags, Iowa St, Georgia, San Diego St, & Ariz St. Yeah, there are some bad losses there.But you know if Baylor or Oregon end the year 18-12, the committee is going to be more lenient than they would with the Tigers, despite the challenging schedule.

Furman lost some shine with a blowout loss to E.Tenn St yesterday. But they have road wins vs 2 Final 4 teams from last season. And their 1st loss was on the road @ LSU. If they are able to dominate the Southern Conference, they should get some consideration, IMO.......

......Remember that recruiting scandal in college basketball.....Hmm?....Anyone?.......

.......What happened to Memphis legend, Keith Lee?.......What happened to former Arkansas coach Nolan Richardson?.......What happened to backboard breaker Jerome Lane?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
knightdreamer2k
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 55x in 42 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Now that 2019 is upon us and the non conference part of the schedule is just about done............

........What in the world has happened to the Pac12? If not for Arizona St's shocker vs then #1 Kansas, this season would be a total disaster for the conference. No one is without at least 3 losses. This week, Az St came in as the conference's only ranked team, then lost to now 7-5 Princeton. UCLA's 4 game losing streak includes 2 home losses to Belmont & Liberty. Oregon lost @ home to 5-8 Tx Southern. Cal got beat by Seattle. Seattle hasn't been good since Elgin Baylor graduated.8-6 Santa Clara has beaten USC & Wash St back to back. You can currently make an argument that the West Coast Conference is superior to the Pac12........

.......I watched UNC host Davidson yesterday. I don't remember dook ever being mentioned. I think that's the 1st time this season. Nice......

......speaking of the dookies......Jan 8th, the devils play their first road game. 13 games without playing in someone else's home gym. This is nothing new. From the 2010 season onward, koach k has scheduled on his own just 5 non-conference road games (keeping in mind the ACC & Big T1e4n challenge are out of ratface's control) His record is 2-3 in those contests. Those road games include a long trip to UNC-Greensboro. The others are a loss @ Temple & 3 vs St.John's. And, of course, we know k wants to take his team every year to the NYC area because they have such a huge fan base there.

So the only time k really sought to challenge his team on the road (somewhat) in the last 9 seasons was Jan 4, 2012 when he took Austin Rivers, Seth Curry & 2 Plumlees to Philly & lost to the Owls.

No member of the c-bball media will call it out. But we know what word describes scheduling like that: COWARDLY. While they are looking at all of these formulas to gauge a team's worth & seeding, I hope they penalize schools for scheduling like this. I understand powerhouses taking advantage of the deck being stacked towards them. But k's policy of scheduling a home game & then "returning the favor" by agreeing to play on a neutral site elitist arrogance @ its highest point........

.....Haven't been able to find video, so I'll have to describe it to you the best I can.....St.John's lost their first game in a terribly unfair fashion. They lost a 16 pt 2nd half lead in the closing seconds, but managed 2 ft's to go back up by 1. After the ball went OB off a Red Storm player, Seton Hall attempted to inbound w/3.9 left.

Here's where it get weird. A St.J's player makes a terrific defensive play. He deflects the inbounds pass, then leaps out of bounds to tap the ball to a teammate, who has a clear unimpeded path to the basket. However, the ref blows his whistle. The explanation given after a long delay? The noticed the clock operator didn't start the clock when the ball was 1st contacted. So the officials put 3.1 ticks on the clock.......Hmmmm.....So they want us to believe in .8 secs, the ref noticed the tipped ball, the clock at a standstill, and blew the whistle to correct the error....Hmmmm.....Why can't they just admit the ref screwed up and anticipated the ball going out of bounds before it actually happened? Man up! It's not going to make the Red Storm less frustrated. But don't screw me & infuriate me by justifying your screwing me.

Of course, the Pirates get a 2nd chance & hit a buzzer beating 3 pointer to win the game. No telling what the reprecussions could be for the season to come. Conference standings? Tournament seedings? Tournament berths? The zebras need to be held accountable.......

......Big 12ish......until one of you can keep Kansas from dominating the league, you will never hear me acknowledge you as the top basketball conference in the NCAA's. You can't be the best if one team has won the title 14 years in a row.......

....Who is the best? I give the Big T1e4n a very slight edge over the ACC. While the ACC currently has 4 teams ranked in the top 4, I think the T1e4n a tiny bit more depth. The ACC can climb above, but it depends on how the middle does. Still too many questions about 'Cuse, L'ville, Clemson & Boston College. Pittsburgh has been a surprise. Irish have been a disappointment. Unless disaster strikes, I think the T1e4n can get 8 minimum into the tourney......

.....SEC has shown improvement. They could see 6-7 playing in March.....

.....I hope the committee is willing to look @ Tx Southern & Furman as potential at large teams if they don't win their conference tournaments. TxS is 5-8. But 11 of their 13 games have been on the road. And they have wins over Baylor, Oregon & Tx A&M. Losses include the Zags, Iowa St, Georgia, San Diego St, & Ariz St. Yeah, there are some bad losses there.But you know if Baylor or Oregon end the year 18-12, the committee is going to be more lenient than they would with the Tigers, despite the challenging schedule.

Furman lost some shine with a blowout loss to E.Tenn St yesterday. But they have road wins vs 2 Final 4 teams from last season. And their 1st loss was on the road @ LSU. If they are able to dominate the Southern Conference, they should get some consideration, IMO.......

......Remember that recruiting scandal in college basketball.....Hmm?....Anyone?.......

.......What happened to Memphis legend, Keith Lee?.......What happened to former Arkansas coach Nolan Richardson?.......What happened to backboard breaker Jerome Lane?
Very good analysis. It seems usually the big 12 is overrated with everyone saying how great they are yet a lot of times they would be beating up each other with Kansas still coming out on top anyways.

I think the pac-12 is way down this year as well as the Big east which is usually up there. I'm not sure of the Big ten, but they seem to have a decent number of good teams. I think the ACC will prevail and the conference is huge with a great many good teams.

I love College basketball because it has one of the best playoff systems that make each game exciting.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Cobra Mgr (12-30-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 398x in 295 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post

Steve Alford has been fired. No replacement has been named.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Whoofe (01-10-2019)