Home | Webstore
Latest News: FHM 5 Available - OOTP 19 Available! - MLB Manager 2018 Available Now

Perfect Team is LIVE!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,742
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 1,413
Thanked 3,630x in 2,060 posts
Anyone else watching the Yankees....

... a thread inspired by the long-lasting and useful "Anyone else watching the Knicks..." thread which, while nobody else really is watching the Knicks around here, is a useful sounding board for me.

Also, I am impressed by the staying power of the "Mets" thread which looks likely to continue uninterrupted for many a season to come. Why bother having a new thread every year for the same old team? (Good or bad as they may be.)

So this is the thread that I am going to dig up and post to from now on whenever I have something to say about the New York Yankees. Welcome.

Here we go: I hope Troy Tulowitzki is the starting shortstop until the return of Didi Gregorius. Let's face it, he's a cheap solution to the problem, a one-year rental at the league minimum salary (the Blue Jays are paying him the rest of his contract because they released him).

But why do I hope Tulowitzki is the shortstop? Because I do NOT want Manny Machado on the team. Nobody has asked my opinion, though. Maybe they will read it here.

EDIT: But Bru, Tulowitzki is 34 and hasn't played since 2017 (66 games). Can you count on him? Answer: Don't care. I'd rather have Tyler Wade (.167 in 2018) play SS for the Yankees than Machado. Think of it this way, too: When Gregorius does return, what happens to him if Machado is on the team? Is Didi out? Probably not. Then does he move to 2B or Machado move to 3B? Either way, that's the end of the Yankee potential for either Torres or Andujar. I would much rather have either of those guys around than Machado. Why? Because Machado is the type of man who disgusts me and will be bad for team chemistry.
__________________

- Bru



Last edited by Déjà Bru; 01-08-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 7,307
Thanked 3,001x in 1,839 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
... a thread inspired by the long-lasting and useful "Anyone else watching the Knicks..." thread which, while nobody else really is watching the Knicks around here, is a useful sounding board for me.

Also, I am impressed by the staying power of the "Mets" thread which looks likely to continue uninterrupted for many a season to come. Why bother having a new thread every year for the same old team? (Good or bad as they may be.)

So this is the thread that I am going to dig up and post to from now on whenever I have something to say about the New York Yankees. Welcome.

Here we go: I hope Troy Tulowitzki is the starting shortstop until the return of Didi Gregorius. Let's face it, he's a cheap solution to the problem, a one-year rental at the league minimum salary (the Blue Jays are paying him the rest of his contract because they released him).

But why do I hope Tulowitzki is the shortstop? Because I do NOT want Manny Machado on the team. Nobody has asked my opinion, though. Maybe they will read it here.

EDIT: But Bru, Tulowitzki is 34 and hasn't played since 2017 (66 games). Can you count on him? Answer: Don't care. I'd rather have Tyler Wade (.167 in 2018) play SS for the Yankees than Machado. Think of it this way, too: When Gregorius does return, what happens to him if Machado is on the team? Is Didi out? Probably not. Then does he move to 2B or Machado move to 3B? Either way, that's the end of the Yankee potential for either Torres or Andujar. I would much rather have either of those guys around than Machado. Why? Because Machado is the type of man who disgusts me and will be bad for team chemistry.
I don't think you have much to worry about with Machado. It would appear that the Bronx Bombers have decided to buy every reliever in the game. Always loved this piece by The Onion. An oldy, but a goody/classic.

Take care of Tulo OK? Don't break him. Rockies fans loved him, and Blue Jays fans loved him, but I think Blue Jays fans came to love the idea of Tulo more than the actual guy because he was never around. He was good for the kids when he was around though, and he will be good for Gleyber and Andujar. As for me, I think I'll focus on New Hampshire and Buffalo this year, as it's going to be a long year north of the border.
__________________
"Yeah, I know, I know, I know
It's still not enough
Nothing short of everything
Nothing short of everything's enough
No matter how wide or how tough
Nothing short of everything's enough

Yeah, I know, I know, I know
Now for Plan A
I'll stay till the wisteria fades
And falls on L.A.
No matter how high or how rough
Nothing short of everything's enough"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Déjà Bru (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,742
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 1,413
Thanked 3,630x in 2,060 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson;4416118Always loved [URL="https://sports.theonion.com/yankees-ensure-2003-pennant-by-signing-every-player-in-1819566731"
this piece[/URL] by The Onion. An oldy, but a goody/classic.
Heh, that brought a chuckle to these parched, cracked lips. Particularly this image with the superimposed heads.
Attached Images
Image 
__________________

- Bru


Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
Westheim
Hall Of Famer
 
Westheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,167
Thanks: 1,740
Thanked 3,687x in 2,114 posts
Well, misery is funny (for outsiders), so the Mets thread will always be there in some way. Meanwhile…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Machado is the type of man who disgusts me
This. Machado is the most evil, seething, smoldering cancer on any major league roster today. A royal **** and a crybaby on top of that. I'd rather have my team win 86 and go home than sign him and win 92 and play in October.
__________________
Portland Raccoons, 51 years of excell-.... of baseball: Furballs here!
1983 * 1989 * 1991 * 1992 * 1993 * 1995 * 1996 * 2010 * 2017 * 2018 * 2019 * 2026 * 2028
1 OSANAI : 2 POWELL : 8 REECE : 10 BROWN : 15 HALL : 28 CASAS : 32 WEST : 46 SAITO

Resident Mets Cynic

Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 6,714
Thanks: 12
Thanked 866x in 496 posts
This means Westheim is now obligated to start a Brooklyn Nets thread.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 7,307
Thanked 3,001x in 1,839 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Well, misery is funny (for outsiders), so the Mets thread will always be there in some way. Meanwhile…



This. Machado is the most evil, seething, smoldering cancer on any major league roster today. A royal **** and a crybaby on top of that. I'd rather have my team win 86 and go home than sign him and win 92 and play in October.
On top of all that his current haircut makes him look distinctly like...uh...well...um...a meth-head. I mean seriously dude. The hell you doin'?
__________________
"Yeah, I know, I know, I know
It's still not enough
Nothing short of everything
Nothing short of everything's enough
No matter how wide or how tough
Nothing short of everything's enough

Yeah, I know, I know, I know
Now for Plan A
I'll stay till the wisteria fades
And falls on L.A.
No matter how high or how rough
Nothing short of everything's enough"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,066
Thanks: 4,204
Thanked 4,165x in 2,164 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
On top of all that his current haircut makes him look distinctly like...uh...well...um...a meth-head. I mean seriously dude. The hell you doin'?
meth head? So he looks like Bobby Higginson?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 7,307
Thanked 3,001x in 1,839 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
meth head? So he looks like Bobby Higginson?
Maybe not meth head. Maybe "skid" is more like it. Who knows...It looks dumb.
__________________
"Yeah, I know, I know, I know
It's still not enough
Nothing short of everything
Nothing short of everything's enough
No matter how wide or how tough
Nothing short of everything's enough

Yeah, I know, I know, I know
Now for Plan A
I'll stay till the wisteria fades
And falls on L.A.
No matter how high or how rough
Nothing short of everything's enough"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:13 AM   #9
knightdreamer2k
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 277
Thanks: 106
Thanked 56x in 43 posts
Yankees just signed LeMahieu:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ny-machado-mix

I like this deal, I don't think the Yankees need much more power just guys that can get on base and be disruptive to opposing pitchers, which makes those close games more winnable.

I wish the Yankees would acquire another starter but I don't know one that is out there. Would have to be a trade.

Also what is going on with Gray? Have we found someone to trade with?
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 7,307
Thanked 3,001x in 1,839 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
Yankees just signed LeMahieu:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ny-machado-mix

I like this deal, I don't think the Yankees need much more power just guys that can get on base and be disruptive to opposing pitchers, which makes those close games more winnable.

I wish the Yankees would acquire another starter but I don't know one that is out there. Would have to be a trade.

Also what is going on with Gray? Have we found someone to trade with?
...And don't forget about his tremendous defense at 2B. *Sigh* Just going to make it an even longer season in Toronto.
__________________
"Yeah, I know, I know, I know
It's still not enough
Nothing short of everything
Nothing short of everything's enough
No matter how wide or how tough
Nothing short of everything's enough

Yeah, I know, I know, I know
Now for Plan A
I'll stay till the wisteria fades
And falls on L.A.
No matter how high or how rough
Nothing short of everything's enough"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,742
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 1,413
Thanked 3,630x in 2,060 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
I wish the Yankees would acquire another starter but I don't know one that is out there. Would have to be a trade.

Also what is going on with Gray? Have we found someone to trade with?
Newsday speculates that they will now turn around and trade Torres or Andujar for a starter. I guess it's inevitable that one or both of those guys is going to be leaving the team especially if Machado signs with them.

I can't say that I like the way things are going here . . .

As for Gray, they may be having trouble moving him.
__________________

- Bru


Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 7,307
Thanked 3,001x in 1,839 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Newsday speculates that they will now turn around and trade Torres or Andujar for a starter. I guess it's inevitable that one or both of those guys is going to be leaving the team especially if Machado signs with them.

I can't say that I like the way things are going here . . .

As for Gray, they may be having trouble moving him.
Who do they have at 1B? Andujar looks like a guy that should move there because his defense at 3B is horrifying, and given that he should get better as he heads towards his peak, the bat is definitely going to play there.
__________________
"Yeah, I know, I know, I know
It's still not enough
Nothing short of everything
Nothing short of everything's enough
No matter how wide or how tough
Nothing short of everything's enough

Yeah, I know, I know, I know
Now for Plan A
I'll stay till the wisteria fades
And falls on L.A.
No matter how high or how rough
Nothing short of everything's enough"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:24 PM   #13
knightdreamer2k
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 277
Thanks: 106
Thanked 56x in 43 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Who do they have at 1B? Andujar looks like a guy that should move there because his defense at 3B is horrifying, and given that he should get better as he heads towards his peak, the bat is definitely going to play there.
At first they have a possible Voit/Bird platoon or just sticking with the hot hand. I don't like the idea of losing Andujar after the kind of offensive season he had. I don't know what the Yankees are planning on doing but we will see shortly I guess.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #14
Westheim
Hall Of Famer
 
Westheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,167
Thanks: 1,740
Thanked 3,687x in 2,114 posts
Why can't they put Andujar at the fake position? Is that still occupied by Stanton? Leave Giancarlo alone, he can play outfield well enough…

Why am I helping the Evil Empire?
__________________
Portland Raccoons, 51 years of excell-.... of baseball: Furballs here!
1983 * 1989 * 1991 * 1992 * 1993 * 1995 * 1996 * 2010 * 2017 * 2018 * 2019 * 2026 * 2028
1 OSANAI : 2 POWELL : 8 REECE : 10 BROWN : 15 HALL : 28 CASAS : 32 WEST : 46 SAITO

Resident Mets Cynic

Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #15
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,742
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 1,413
Thanked 3,630x in 2,060 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Why am I helping the Evil Empire?
Because spending all of your time in that dungeon of a "Mets" thread has affected your health and you need a breath of fresh air once in a while. Just stay away from the "Anyone else watching the Knicks" thread or you will take a sharp turn for the worse.
__________________

- Bru


Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #16
Westheim
Hall Of Famer
 
Westheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,167
Thanks: 1,740
Thanked 3,687x in 2,114 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Because spending all of your time in that dungeon of a "Mets" thread has affected your health and you need a breath of fresh air once in a while. Just stay away from the "Anyone else watching the Knicks" thread or you will take a sharp turn for the worse.
(types "knicks" into the search bar at Wikipedia)
__________________
Portland Raccoons, 51 years of excell-.... of baseball: Furballs here!
1983 * 1989 * 1991 * 1992 * 1993 * 1995 * 1996 * 2010 * 2017 * 2018 * 2019 * 2026 * 2028
1 OSANAI : 2 POWELL : 8 REECE : 10 BROWN : 15 HALL : 28 CASAS : 32 WEST : 46 SAITO

Resident Mets Cynic

Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #17
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,742
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 1,413
Thanked 3,630x in 2,060 posts
ESPN: "The New York Yankees' bullpen is positively terrifying. They added Adam Ottavino — on a three-year, $27 million deal — to a group that already includes Aroldis Chapman, Dellin Betances, Zach Britton, Chad Green and Jonathan Holder, among others. The best pen in the game, period."

Now, if we could only figure out what is going on in the infield? It's getting late to be still hot stove league time. This is the depth chart before they sign Machado:
Attached Images
Image 
__________________

- Bru


Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #18
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,742
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 1,413
Thanked 3,630x in 2,060 posts
"Mariano Rivera, the career saves leader whose elegant efficiency helped the Yankees win five World Series, became the first player ever elected unanimously to the Baseball Hall of Fame on Tuesday."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/s...gtype=Homepage
Attached Images
Image 
__________________

- Bru


Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:02 PM   #19
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 7,307
Thanked 3,001x in 1,839 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
"Mariano Rivera, the career saves leader whose elegant efficiency helped the Yankees win five World Series, became the first player ever elected unanimously to the Baseball Hall of Fame on Tuesday."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/s...gtype=Homepage
I'm generally a pacifist, but if anybody could find a bad word to say about the man, I think I might have to punch them in the mouth...And then feel shame...Because Mo would not approve.

For one night in his life, Vernon Wells can say he got the better of the only unanimous HoFer in baseball history so far. That night was Thursday July 20, 2006 when he hit an 11th inning walkoff HR off Mo.

Interestingly enough, the starting pitchers that night?...Mike Mussina for the visitors and Roy Halladay for the home side. Ah, baseball...You are the most incredible game ever invented.

Picture below is of Vernon circling the bases in triumph. I'm quite sure Mo walked off the field with quiet grace and dignity holding his head high because...well...that was what he always did, even in defeat, and even in defeat in games with much more at stake. What an amazing human.
Attached Images
Image 
__________________
"Yeah, I know, I know, I know
It's still not enough
Nothing short of everything
Nothing short of everything's enough
No matter how wide or how tough
Nothing short of everything's enough

Yeah, I know, I know, I know
Now for Plan A
I'll stay till the wisteria fades
And falls on L.A.
No matter how high or how rough
Nothing short of everything's enough"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-23-2019 at 12:27 AM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
Déjà Bru (01-22-2019), knightdreamer2k (01-23-2019), Leo_The_Lip (01-23-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #20
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer
 
Déjà Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,742
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 1,413
Thanked 3,630x in 2,060 posts
Kudos to Moose, for making the HoF of course, but also for this classy decision which is very respectful of Orioles and Yankees fans. Sure, some of those fans would prefer their own team's hat but this is best, when one's HoF career is rather evenly divided between a couple of teams of longstanding.

Name:  Image0163.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  330.0 KB

If he had to choose, however, I think it would go to the Birds on his hat:

Name:  Image0164.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  192.7 KB
__________________

- Bru


Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:51 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments